Individual offensive talent regression

rcatty

Note that just about every player's performance on the offensive side of the ball has regressed under Marrone-Hackett. Watkins, Goodwin, EJ Manual, Orton, Spiller, Glenn, Wood, Urbik, Pears, Henderson, Jackson(age), Chandler (about the same) all have regressed. The only guys who look like they have improved are Robert Woods, and Chris Hogan. Remember under Chan and line coach Joe D our line (virtually unchanged from today's personnel with the exception of Henderson at right tackle) played lights out or at least close to it. Today they look awful? I'm talking about Wood, and the two guards? Throw in Cordy Glenn with that mix, as well. Either the blocking scheme and/or coaching must be to blame.

Terrible coaching and poor QB play. Those two things explain the

Note that just about every player's performance on the offensive side of the ball has regressed under Marrone-Hackett. Watkins, Goodwin, EJ Manual, Orton, Spiller, Glenn, Wood, Urbik, Pears, Henderson, Jackson(age), Chandler (about the same) all have regressed. The only guys who look like they have improved are Robert Woods, and Chris Hogan. Remember under Chan and line coach Joe D our line (virtually unchanged from today's personnel with the exception of Henderson at right tackle) played lights out or at least close to it. Today they look awful? I'm talking about Wood, and the two guards? Throw in Cordy Glenn with that mix, as well. Either the blocking scheme and/or coaching must be to blame.

Terrible coaching and poor QB play. Those two things explain the miserable past 15 years. 8 Months til opening kickoff in September and its gonna be a longgg 8 months....

This is something that REALLY merits discussion going into this next offseason......

- How does a player like Cordy Glenn go from being regardless as one of the BEST left tackles in the league......a real feel good story of a guy everyone thought was gonna be a good OG but that is it.......come in and basically stone every name pass rusher in the league.....then regress so badly

- How does Kujo struggle SO mightily and not even be good enough to be a BACKUP as a 2nd round pick....then get moved to OG so late in the season? You CANNOT afford to have your 2nd round picks give so little production in the NFL

- Even dependable Wood at Center regressed

This all under a HC who "is always heavily involved with the OL"

Maybe Maronne SHOULD NOT be so heavily involved with the OL......if a OL did this badly the OL coach would get FIRED (and maybe ours will) but perhaps Doug should STAY AWAY from these guys and bring in a competant OL coach?

This is something that REALLY merits discussion going into this next offseason......

- How does a player like Cordy Glenn go from being regardless as one of the BEST left tackles in the league......a real feel good story of a guy everyone thought was gonna be a good OG but that is it.......come in and basically stone every name pass rusher in the league.....then regress so badly

- How does Kujo struggle SO mightily and not even be good enough to be a BACKUP as a 2nd round pick....then get moved to OG so late in the season? You CANNOT afford to have your 2nd round picks give so little production in the NFL

Maybe Maronne SHOULD NOT be so heavily involved with the OL......if a OL did this badly the OL coach would get FIRED (and maybe ours will) but perhaps Doug should STAY AWAY from these guys and bring in a competant OL coach?

The only thing Marrone should be heavily involved in at this point is a family sized order of chili cheese fries at Tullys

When Chicago clears house, kromer for the line would be my pick. Long track record, lots of successful projects, experience as an OC, run game coordinator etc..... And worked with marrone.

I was thinking about this myself and did a little research. I am not a huge PFF guy, but for OL I don't know what else to check. Per 1000 plays to balance out the fact we ran about 70 plays per game in 2013 as opposed to 2014s 65/game. Cordy Glenn has gone from +17plays above average to +7. Wood has gone from -1 to -8. Pretty big drop off for the 2 who returned to their spots this year. The line shift of postions was clearly a failure. Urbik/Pears were a solid +1 last year and combined are a MINUS 45 this year. The only real change would be Henderson(-27), who in reality is replacing the combo of Legurksy/Brown(-41). This can be described as going from worst to bad. Overall, the line was about 50 plays worse per 1000 than last year. And, last years line was not great! Furthermore, our overall stats on offense are remarkably close for each year. I'll save space, and tell you if you didn't already know, that yard per play, pts /drive, yards/drives etc. are all close. The only difference is this years offense had huge dropoff running the ball, about a half yard/carry and about 50 yards/game! It could reasonably be argued the line got worse, and the offense stayed the same. This is where PFF breaksdown for me. Knowing the above you would figure the skill guys were better than last year. PFF has our offense as quite a bit worse overall, and that the skill guys are not . In conclusion, I have been a recent critic of Pat Morris OL coach, I see nothing to dissuade me from that thought. Given the fact our passing game is a bit more efficient and our running game has fallen off a cliff. I see no reason to conclude that Orton/Watkins/Woods/Chander/Hogan are any worse, perhaps better than last year's crew. We should try to improve our QB position this offseason. However, the people who clamor that Big Ben, Rogers, Brady et al could win big with this line and staff. Maybe they could, maybe they couldn't....we don't have one of those guys and aren't likely to have one in the immediate future. So good luck putting all your eggs in the replace Orton, he sucks basket, and all is good. My bottom line is the OL performance is atrocious and the coaching staff and front office supporting it failed miserably with an experiment there.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

Yeah he had a pretty good year last year too. He made more "highlight reel" catches this season I think though.

Yep. But he has been making highlight reel catches since he was 12 years old. He's always had tremendous hands. he made acrobatic catches at USC from the minute he stepped on the field. That is really not an improvement IMO.

I'm not sure Woods has been better. He was pretty darn good as a rookie and has seemed to make the most of his chances in both years.

And I think the main reason Brad Lamb 2014 is better is because he is being compared to Brad Lamb 2013. That plus Hackett's entire genius offense runs through him.

I'm not sure Woods has been better. He was pretty darn good as a rookie and has seemed to make the most of his chances in both years.

@BuffaloBillsPR: .@sammywatkins (62) & @robertwoods (61) are the first WR duo under the age of 23 in NFL history to tally 60+ receptions in the same season

Young guys and no QB who can throw a catchable pass consistently

Edited by YoloinOhio

would agree with almost everything in the OP except Pears (already in steep decline pre-Hackett) and Henderson (a rookie who more than held his own as 7th round Day 1 starter)

would agree with almost everything in the OP except Pears (already in steep decline pre-Hackett) and Henderson (a rookie who more than held his own as 7th round Day 1 starter)

and of course the obligatory "Manual" reference