Orton Being Underappreciated Again with Bills

My opinion is that the people who constantly bash EJ are either stupid or just trolling for responses from sensible people who realize that EJ is a young, inexperienced QB who was forced into starting before he was ready and was playing behind a very poor offensive line with a questionable Offensive coordinator. Yet he still put up relatively similar results to the 10yr vet who replaced him and gave the Bills a "better chance to win".

They way they talk is like he was a total disaster which was not the case. He just looked like a kid who was not prepared for the test when defenses started to make him uncomfortable knowing what he was going to do.

The fact remains that no ones knows what EJ Manuel will become because he doesn't have the 30 starts you usually need to get a final picture of an NFL QB.

With that being said, I'm actually starting to hope the Bills trade for RGIII (only if he is willing to drop his attitude and put his all in a comeback attempt). The goal would be to have two potential franchise QBs EJ and RGIII battle it out for the starting job with Orton's below average services not being needed any longer. The Bills should be a running/big pass play team (kind of like the team the Ravens were when they won it all) with the QB throwing play action passes 20+ yards down the field on at least 8-10 plays. If the Bills get their line straightened out in this coming draft and they get a competent OC, then the starting QB should have a much easier time having the team at least mid pack in points scored on offense.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle Orton is like Domino's Pizza- you don't have it for a while then you think, "That sounds good!" You order it, eat a few pieces and say to yourself, "This sucks. The crust has no taste and the garlic is overwhelming!" You then don't order it for a couple years. At this point I'd rather get a cheap pizza from Little Caesar's (Manuel) 'cause I've had enough of this garlic-riddled Domino's crap.

Id rather have a 4 dollar frozen from Wegmans (tuel)

taste good if your stoned

The EJ doesn't do or can't do posts are great

1) and 2) first game of the year, against the Bears first qtr, EJ throws the ball to Woods and the defender doesn't have a chance to break on the ball because he's not aware the ball is already out.

3) Both passes against the Jets, first one in New Jersey, he reads the blitz coming from his left (CB and LB) and hits Chandler for a score that ties the game, this is the Justin Rogers game. Second game of the year against the Jets he reads a safety blitz and with a LB about to hit him hits Graham for a score. Blitz 0 - Bills 14

4) 3rd and 1 in Falcons territory, 23 seconds left, EJ hits Stevie streaking down the middle of the field, we would have been in field position to win the game had Stevie not fumbled the ball.

He can do all those things, problem is, he's not consistent enough.

For the record, I think Orton should finish the year as the starter unless he goes down with injury. Regardless of what people think or feel about EJ, Orton is playing awful football right now.

For the record, I still have faith in EJ. But I saw a QB that so regressed that he was to the point of not being able to complete a simple 5-yard pass. Those good throws he made in the Bears game-- by the time we got to the Houston game, he was no longer able to make those.

They need to hit the re-set button with him next year and bring in a legit QB guru/OC (like a Philbin even).

If you guys remember, Kelly wouldn't come to Buffalo because we had a horrid offensive line. The running game has been weak as well as passing because our line cant hold a block. No quarterback in the NFL would do anything with this line. Granted one of the the quarterbacks job is to line up protection but our line just gets bullied every game. Im no professional analyst but I can see our guys getting blown off the line every play practically.

For the record, I still have faith in EJ. But I saw a QB that so regressed that he was to the point of not being able to complete a simple 5-yard pass. Those good throws he made in the Bears game-- by the time we got to the Houston game, he was no longer able to make those.

They need to hit the re-set button with him next year and bring in a legit QB guru/OC (like a Philbin even).

It seems that you have concluded that EJs regression is here to stay. As he used to be able to make those throws etc, I personally see no reason was it isn't possible that he has worked through those mental issues and theoretically be able to make those throws again.

Totally agree. We are doomed if he becomes the starter...........

I'm so glad that you're full of it.

I think EJ could play better than Orton has these past few weeks (it simply wouldn't be easy to produce less futile efforts), but I am resigned to the fact that we're just going to live through Orton. I don't think either of them would get us to the Super Bowl, but Orton's a vet and that will matter down this stretch.

Also, despite the naysayers, I do think something important is happening behind the scenes, here. If EJ is going to be any good at all, they want him to be very good -- not average. The more he learns, the better the chances of that.

I concede now that I wanted EJ to start this past week. I felt this way under the premise that the season was probably over, GB was a likely loss, and that it would be good experience for EJ. And I'm so glad to have been wrong there. But I think the experience he is having - watching, learning, preparing, being a good teammate during an unlikely playoff run - is a better and more important one. He is getting to watch every situation unfold, and when he watches Orton fail, he can begin to understand why, and how to adjust to those situations.

Orton is at his worst with a bad OLine. Build him an OLine and he's the best placeholder we've had in awhile.

This team with a 'good' qb would be a force.

Agreed, Joe Gibbs proved you can win a superbowl with a very average QB.... Schroeder and Rypien and a talented over the Hill guy in Williams with a great O-line. The Ravens won one with that numb nuts announcer I can't think of his name right now.

This O-line is growing, guard play needs to improvement. That being said Orton is tough to watch especially when missing or not throwing to guys wide open. His accuracy seems off too. He was playing better during the warmer weather. I don't hate him, just frustrated because like everyone else, this team has possibilities and the D deserves to make the playoffs.

P.S. Could the Bills just draft offensive linemen and QBs in the next draft, maybe a running back? Do they have enough depth elsewhere?

Go Bills

Edited by North Buffalo

Just a thought. Could it be that EJ has a tough time against SD and Houston because they both have good defenses and our OL struggled mightily? Is it regression or simply having a bad game? Orton seems to be struggling with 10yrs of regression punctuated by a decent game or two here and there.

I appreciate Orton for what he is: A journeyman QB who would make a competent backup. As starter he's a poor man's Jay Cutler. The Bills are winning despite him, not because of him. In all seriousness, I'd rather have Tebow. At least he'd fight to the death for a 1st down or touchdown, provide substantial rushing yardage, be a leader on and off the field, play his best in the clutch, and hit the occasional deep ball. Orton is gutless, and you can't afford to have a coward at the most important position on the team.

I appreciate Orton for what he is: A journeyman QB who would make a competent backup. As starter he's a poor man's Jay Cutler. The Bills are winning despite him, not because of him. In all seriousness, I'd rather have Tebow. At least he'd fight to the death for a 1st down or touchdown, provide substantial rushing yardage, be a leader on and off the field, play his best in the clutch, and hit the occasional deep ball. Orton is gutless, and you can't afford to have a coward at the most important position on the team.

Nor can you afford to complete < 50 % of your passes.

I am literally LMAO. biglaugh.gif

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Nor can you afford to complete < 50 % of your passes.

Obviously you'd want an accurate QB who also has the heart of a lion. However, given one or the other, I'll take the warrior with low completion % over a coward who looks good in practice but meekly folds in the games.

@ChrisTrapasso

Orton can't miss this throw on 3rd & 5. Clean pocket, well behind Woods dragging wide open. #Bills https://vine.co/v/OgOzUvD9jr1

Tough route to run/not super crisp by Watkins, but another big miss by Orton. #Bills https://vine.co/v/OgOaedaAYza

Play (likely) designed to free FJax for game-ending 1st. Executed. Orton goes deep. #Bills https://vine.co/v/OgO71T6xvPh

I'm not a "hey, look, WR was wide open on other side of the field!" guy. But 2 of those plays Orton simply missed wide open WRs and...

...the last play, Orton stared down Watkins / Jackson route combo, saw LB covering Jackson out of position but threw deep to Watkins instead

I singled out those 3 plays, and IMO cherry-picking plays from All-22 is a problem with using it as analysis. There likely were plays...

...that were not designed well or called at "wrong" time by #Bills OC Nate Hackett. But the Vine'd plays were huge and, to me, on Orton.

And when it comes to play design and general play-calling, I don't think #Bills OC Nate Hackett is nearly as big of a problem as many do.

After re-watching every #Bills game this year & last, I think he does a decent/good job scheming players open. Def far from perfect though.

It seems that you have concluded that EJs regression is here to stay. As he used to be able to make those throws etc, I personally see no reason was it isn't possible that he has worked through those mental issues and theoretically be able to make those throws again.

I think it is here to stay absent a change at OC. They need someone who knows how to develop and call plays for young QBs to come in and build EJ back up.