Orton Being Underappreciated Again with Bills

Though I appreciate the fact that any athlete who gets to play the QB position in the NFL has achieved a difficult and rare thing, regardless of their success......I am finding it impossible to appreciate Orton playing for the Bills.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say all QBs every game have better games against those teams...but lets also not pretend that those Defenses are all the 85 Bears. Its not the defense when Orton misses his open guys by a mile. Its not the Defense when Orton doesn't see open guys and instead dumps it off.

Orton has not been good, there is no amount of spin to validate is below average play.

I'm not disagreeing, but I also think Orton will look pretty good against the Raiders. That's all. Opposing defenses that are good have a tendency to make QB's look bad.

I'm not disagreeing, but I also think Orton will look pretty good against the Raiders. That's all. Opposing defenses that are good have a tendency to make QB's look bad.

The Raiders' D is ranked well above that of the Packers'.......just saying. ;)

EJ still has tons of oppurtunity here. He needs to grow a pair and take this team by the throat and make it his own.

Thats pretty much all i got on the subject.

Hey! We won! Still relevant in 2nd week of December!

Edited by mastershake

Except Orton took shots down the field, he just can't complete them. Taking a shot on Woods with a yard of separation on 3rd and 5 with 2 minutes to go is Dick Jauron ball?

That was Hackett/Marrone trying to make a dagger play; the antithesis of Jauron.

And I just wanna add, I think I may have under underappreciated Orton.

GO BILLS!!!

Though I appreciate the fact that any athlete who gets to play the QB position in the NFL has achieved a difficult and rare thing, regardless of their success......I am finding it impossible to appreciate Orton playing for the Bills.

I can appreciate that.

GO BILLS!!!

One offensive TD vs. KC, zero at MIA, one vs. CLE, two after it was over at DEN, and none today vs. GB. I'd appreciate him a lot more if he could stop being such a pathetic, drive killing, inaccurate, checkdown throwing, sack taking QB. Probably too much to ask for.

The story of Kyle Orton's career is he is a pretty good player, however, for some reason, nobody wants him. This trend has continued in Buffalo with Bills fans. I live in Indiana which is where Purdue University is (Orton's alma mater). My two brothers and sister-in-law went to school there when Orton was the quarterback. Because of this, I have followed his career more closely than most. Firstly, I want to dismiss the idea that I am biased toward Orton for this reason. I actually despise Purdue. I went to Indiana University out of high school and Purdue is our rival.

Orton followed Drew Brees at Purdue and was a very good college QB. However, because he followed Brees he was underappreciated even at Purdue. Orton was drafted by the Bears in the early 4th round. He started 15 games as a rookie and won 10. Yes, I know, the Bears defense was great then. However, he was a rookie, came in and made good decisions as a game manager and did what was necessary to win games. They benched him 2 games before the playoffs began in favor of Rex Grossman who was coming off injury. The Bears lost their first game in the postseason with Grossman at the helm. Orton saw zero game action the next year placed on the third string behind Grossman and Griese.

In his third year with the Bears, with three games left, he was given the starting role again finally. He went 2-1 in the final three games.

In his 4th year with the Bears, he entered the season competing against Grossman for the starting role. He won the starting role. He went 8-7 as a starter, missing one game for injury. They missed the playoffs by one game.

After this year, he was expecting to come back to the starting role he left in Chicago. He was traded to Denver for Cutler.

In his first year with Denver (2009-2010), he went 8-8 with pretty good statistics. In his 2nd year, he started 13 games. Their record was not good, however his statistics were pretty good. He had an 87.5 passer rating for the year. The Broncos coach was fired midseaon and Tebowmania began when he had a poor game late in the season. The interim coach benched Orton in favor of Tebow for the final three games. In his third year, he started poorly and the chants for Tebow immediately reached a fever pitch. He went 1-4 as starter this year with a 75.4 rating. He ended up with 49 touchdowns, 28 interceptions and almost 5,000 yards in 2.5 season with the Broncos. He was cut by the Broncos.

The Chiefs claimed him off waivers. Two other teams tried to claim him but the Chiefs had the worst record. With three games to go in the season, Orton was named the starter. In hist 1st game, he beat the then undefeated Packers in weak 15 of the NFL season. He went 2-1 as a starter for the Chiefs. The Chiefs didn't resign him.

He has been backing up Tony Romo (a yearly pro bowler) in the previous two years. In the limited time he has had to come in for Romo he has performed. Dallas knew he had value and really wanted to keep him as backup to Romo. However, clearly he did not want to stay and back up Romo.

He is now in Buffalo. He has a QB rating of 89.2 despite playing a disproportionate number of highly ranked defenses. He has over 2,300 yards and a 2-1 TD-Interception ration. Sadly, the story of Orton's career continues in Buffalo. Orton performs pretty well but is not wanted. Is he a tier one franchise QB? Of course not. However, I think Buffalo (like everywhere else) is not appreciating Orton for what he is. Orton can win in Buffalo. Don't run him out of town.

Well that argument is over.....

So many games this year the Bills D dominated the first half and presented the offense with great field position over and over(KC and Houston for example). A good QB would put those games a way with 3 or 4 first half TDs. But instead we get FG's(Carpenter offensive MVP) and turnovers. I know Houston was on EJ, but we have been lacking that knockout punch from our QB

So many games this year the Bills D dominated the first half and presented the offense with great field position over and over(KC and Houston for example). A good QB would put those games a way with 3 or 4 first half TDs. But instead we get FG's(Carpenter offensive MVP) and turnovers. I know Houston was on EJ, but we have been lacking that knockout punch from our QB

Dude not even lacking just the KO punch. Orson KILLS drives by taking sacks unnecessarily. We had an INT IN FG range and he took us out of it singlehandedly. He's captain check-down with terrible pocket presence.

Yeah, i saw EJ throw some bad passes. I saw him throw some good ones too. I saw EJ smoke the jets last year, just like Orton this year. I cant really keep up the arguement, im pretty sure everyone around here thinks im nuts anyways. All i know is we have a pretty good team here and if we could get solid QB play wed be able to take it to the next level.

True but the time for change isn't now and it's not ej as he doesn't have the experience to lead this offense.This is why the WRs said they liked how Orton directed them and told them how where to run their routs. EJ's accuracy can't be fixed so putting him is a waste of time.

Orton is the best we have at this point... EJ turns the ball over more

With Orton, the defense can win the game. With EJ they cannot overcome his turnovers.

Those are low standards but it's what we have to work with

Huh? Orton has more turnovers per game than EJ.....for this season, as a Bill, and for their careers. He also has a much higher sack/game number.

Huh? Orton has more turnovers per game than EJ.....for this season, as a Bill, and for their careers. He also has a much higher sack/game number.

I always enjoy your posts from down under Dibs...

Do you think EJ should replace Orton immediately?

I always enjoy your posts from down under Dibs...

Do you think EJ should replace Orton immediately?

Thanks for that.....and I think it is a good question(hell, it seems to be THE question at the moment).

Regardless of how badly Orton has played, EJ's last game(against Texans) was without doubt one of the worst QB performances I have ever seen. I think that many Bills fans have forgotten just how badly he had regressed when he was replaced......but I also think that many other Bills fans have forgotten that his play prior to his last two starts was at worst as good as Orton has been(likely better).

As we cannot see EJ practicing, we really don't know if he has overcome his yips. I call it "the yips" because it seemed clear in that last start that his brain had somehow totally frozen. The problem as I see it for the coaches is that even seeing him practice, it likely doesn't alleviate concerns that he won't have a repeat performance of the Texans game(that he isn't over the yips).

Orton has shown consistently that he cannot run this offense at all. Apart from his issues of being unable to handle pressure, I feel that Orton is virtually incapable of passing deep(apart from bullet strikes)......and is at best as inaccurate as EJ typically was......with strangely worse decision making(apart from when EJ froze).

It really would be a tough decision for the coaches as we still have a shot at the playoffs. Do you put in EJ and hope/pray that he has overcome the yips(thus being a better QB option than Orton.....with the added benefit of assessing potential future for EJ)? If they put EJ in and he has not overcome his mental issues it could be risking an easy win against the Raiders.

I guess I would go with EJ at this point(as I have no faith in Orton at all & at least EJ has the potential to make some of the plays that this offense seems designed for)......but I would be ready to bench him early if he showed signs that he has not overcome those "yips".

Edited by Dibs

Orton is the best we have at this point... EJ turns the ball over more

With Orton, the defense can win the game. With EJ they cannot overcome his turnovers.

Those are low standards but it's what we have to work with

Orton is the best we have? I'm not convinced of that. EJ turns the ball over more? I don't believe that's accurate.