Is there a way to charge an iphone when the port

bbb

That's a cell phone part

I'm not handy at all, so forget that.

I don't know for sure how they work or the compatibility bit don't they have charging pads where you just lay it on the plugged in pad?

Last time I had this problem, I looked into those, and can't remember why it wouldn't work for me.

When they are damaged I have heard of people putting them in a bucket of rice and then they work again. I'm not sure how it works but the carbs in the rice must have some energy.

What type of rice? Can you use couscous?

seems to be damaged. I've been using different chargers - they rotated working! Now, I seem to be out of luck.

What the hell is this and how does it work?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Charging-Port-Dock-Connector-Flex-Cable-For-iPhone-4S-US-5-Tools-/300763039750

Go to iFixIt.com... They will show you how to change out an iPhone battery/tear down. Seems the bastards @ Apple use special heads on the screws... You can replace them with then same machine screws but with a regular Phillips or Torx head. Save the old machine screws, if it is under warranty and they will never know you were in it doing "exploratory surgery" on YOUR machine. I think iFixIt calls it a "liberator kit." Everything w/Apple seems proprietary, they want you to pay 150 bucks so a kid/Apple Genius can fix it for 15.

It isn't complicated, nothing really to a phone, just have the right tools... I tore my whole Droid 4 apart, I am hammering this post away on it now. iFixIt has tear downs for everything. They put it together, it has to come apart... Or does it?

I like their motto: "Fixing it is noble." Or something like that... Good luck.

Could be worse, it isn't like an 400 pound greasy automatic transmission... Or what recently happened to me... My 2006 Pacifica had the memory/heated/power front seats go out just recently... Seems both front seats are controlled by one board under the driver's seat. Well, the driver's seat lost power in the far back position (my memory position... I was last to drive the vehicle)... She was dipping like gangster in da hood... Boy was that a pain to get to the memory control board under the seat, I should have just taken the whole driver seat out... Everything I read about "static" making the boards go bad, service bulletins, etc... I have my doubt... I got the board out and was gonna jump the motors to adjust the seat when I noticed the main power connector wouldn't disconnect off the board. The connector looked deformed. I betcha it was the heated seats/movement back and forth through the years deforming the connector until it finally lost contact/power... Oh well, no more "dipping in da hood"... ;-)

Double good luck!

Oh... Not sure, what that part is, looks like the whole ball of wax... Seems cheap, i'd get it and try to figure it out. I assume the port is soldered on, probably pretty hard and very tight to fix the pins... It is a 4s, so it has the old 30 pin connector... I assume, you slap that ribbon on and connect it to the motherboard? For a few bucks, you get the special screwdrivers (Apple screws strip very easy, be careful!) and the part... What's the worst you can do to your ALREADY broken phone? For a few bucks, break it even more? Give it a whirl!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You missed the part about me not being handy. It's time for a new phone anyway, but I'm too busy to look into plans. I wish this damn thing gave me 3 more weeks!

Mail your junk to me... There's gotta be a way to fix... Everything is "plug in now."

Honestly... Like Pooj said, try one of those wireless chargers! Inductive I think? All you gotta do is juice up the battery...

I tried one a few years ago and something didn't work. Can't remember what - and I think they stopped making them.

Bummer! It's worth a crack to see if that part will work... Cheap too. Basically, your phone is a brick, what more can you do to it. There are instructional videos on the site, they even show you how to get to the touch screen and replace broken ones... That's the furthest part forward from the back.

There has to be a way to change that port without soldering. IMO, there is probably no way to actually fix the old pins. It has to be swapable. The change broken screens, they gotta be able to change this.

I replaced mine in a iPhone 4S . My wife plugged in a wet charger. It was a pain to fix but I got it. There is a real nice you tube video that I watched about 10 times and use another phone to take picks. The hard part is that the piece is glued in there and there is stuff you have to pry out. Like the battery. And that flex able cable part. Worst case scenario you sell it on eBay . What iphone is it anyway?

I replaced mine in a iPhone 4S . My wife plugged in a wet charger. It was a pain to fix but I got it. There is a real nice you tube video that I watched about 10 times and use another phone to take picks. The hard part is that the piece is glued in there and there is stuff you have to pry out. Like the battery. And that flex able cable part. Worst case scenario you sell it on eBay . What iphone is it anyway?

I think he said iPhone 4s... Really nice "tear down" @ iFixIt.com

I think they sell a cheap little tool called a "spudger." It is a pry tool/spatula. My battery on my Motorola is supposed to be "fixed" (non-removable...LoL, Oh really?) but all it is double-sided taped in... And a little ribbon connects battery via a small torx screw( I wanna say T-5). Use the spudger to pry under and pull the parts apart.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The rice thing does work when the phone gets wet. i have actually used that method and it does work.

That sounds weird to me bbb but there you go. And plez is a techie so he should know. Douse the phone and put it in the bucket of rice and it will be fixed.

If you've already had it in the rice awhile, take it out and soak it for a bit. I'm not sure if the rice/water sequencing matters at all. Sorry I didn't know about the water part. Plez, is it just water or could he use gatorade?

I have not heard anything about couscous. You can try it if you have it laying around I guess, but if you are too cheap to buy rice then whatever.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Have you tried turning off. Waiting 30 seconds them turning it back on? Customer service tech support always seem to suggest that? :D

I'd rcomend using insurance on it if you have it. That or making it a really hip paperweight.

You don't strike me as a guy that calls tech support. They probably call you. ;-P

dude!!!! :sick:

Sicko! ;-P

He spends all day looking a river locks - maybe you should embrace his alternative lifestyle.

LoL... "Lock" things in is pretty "dam" freaky! :-P

Sure it isn't just the charger wire? My original one on a iphone 5 was only about 8 months old and wouldn't charge the phone. The wire looked crimped at them that plugged in the home. The wires "unraveled " and broke. Went and got a newcharger with a 2 meter wire instead of a 1 meter one.

I think he said iPhone 4s... Really nice "tear down" @ iFixIt.com

I think they sell a cheap little tool called a "spudger." It is a pry tool/spatula. My battery on my Motorola is supposed to be "fixed" (non-removable...LoL, Oh really?) but all it is double-sided taped in... And a little ribbon connects battery via a small torx screw( I wanna say T-5). Use the spudger to pry under and pull the parts apart.

You are correct - it is a 4s.

That sounds weird to me bbb but there you go. And plez is a techie so he should know. Douse the phone and put it in the bucket of rice and it will be fixed.

If you've already had it in the rice awhile, take it out and soak it for a bit. I'm not sure if the rice/water sequencing matters at all. Sorry I didn't know about the water part. Plez, is it just water or could he use gatorade?

I have not heard anything about couscous. You can try it if you have it laying around I guess, but if you are too cheap to buy rice then whatever.

Damn, I had all this rice jammed in there, and now I have to get it wet. I'm going to stick in the snow for awhile. See if that works.

Sure it isn't just the charger wire? My original one on a iphone 5 was only about 8 months old and wouldn't charge the phone. The wire looked crimped at them that plugged in the home. The wires "unraveled " and broke. Went and got a newcharger with a 2 meter wire instead of a 1 meter one.

Actually I think it was the charger. I cleaned the port over and over with wires and all kinds of crap. Put it in all my chargers and no deal.

But, all of a sudden it worked on the millionth try.............I think the one that had been working no longer does.

It's been months of these different chargers working or not. Inexplicably - when one works, the others don't,and I have to keep rotating............But, finally none were at all.

Until the miracle happened!

There really has to be a better way - we rely on these things so much and the stupid port can screw up your life............Kids were so desperate for better recharging that they were falling for a hoax on the last IOS upgrade. The hoax was that there is now Apple Wave. Just put your phone in the microwave, turn it on, and it recharges it!