Bills Sign WR Deonte Thompson; Mike Williams Waived to IR

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this is just the Clayster not doing his due diligence... Even if they have to reach an injury settlement, it'll be cheaper than what he's still owed and isn't a full cap hit I believe.

Until we cut him / reach an injury settlement in January... right? Or am I missing something?

He has to agree to it but yes. If he is owed the 5.2m guaranteed for next year, he will likely say no to anything that is not over, say, 2-3m. Why would he? He knows the Bills will eventually cave. They are not going to pay him 5.2 not to play.

Is it more correct to say 1 or 2:

1] Sammy Watkins has caught 58 balls for 855 yards and 5 TDs in 13 games and numbers don't lie. That is the player he is.

2] Sammy Watkins has caught 58 balls for 855 yards and 5 TDs in 13 games through 3-4 separate injuries from game one on which limited his production and numbers to some degree.

Both are correct. One includes context. That is what this stupid argument is about.

Is it? I thought it was:

1) Sammy had 855 and 5 TD's.

2) Sammy had 855 and 5 TD's, but he was hurt in a couple games, so if we extrapolated his healthy games, he averages 1,200 and 10 TD's.

Question is, is does Bellichick sign Mike Williams to gain insight into what the geniuses over at OBD are up to?

I'm sure he doesn't already have a clue about what the revolutionary Bills' offensive scheme is doing. Those tricky bastards have the entire NFL baffled.

Good for you. That has nothing to do with anything.

Actually, investigating it a little more. He was playing with a sore hamstring for several games and gutted it out. He missed the sixth game of the season totally, and tried again in game seven (his sixth). Then they sat him because it was torn. So the vast majority of the one third of a season he played with a bad hamstring. The three seasons he played healthy he averaged 7.67 TDs a game.

http://www.buccaneer...53-1e0484eef0ba

No. That is what you said. Not any reasonable person. He played in the games. MW did not.

Then why are we talking about him "gutting it out?"

Then why are we talking about him "gutting it out?"

We aren't.

We are talking about context.

Numbers out of context are often either deceiving or not the whole story. MW's numbers out of context, counting the year he played a third of the year instead of an entire year, and then using his numbers as if representative of a full year, is out of context, deceiving, and not the whole story. Those numbers in context provide a clearer picture.

We aren't.

Numbers out of context are often either deceiving or not the whole story. MW's numbers out of context, counting the year he played a third of the year instead of an entire year, and then using his numbers as if representative of a full year, is out of context, deceiving, and not the whole story. Those numbers in context provide a clearer picture.

Right - if sammy went on IR week 8 and another receiver played 16 saying sammy barely got half as many yards would be a terrible talking point. Sammy was more productive for half the season but was injured would be the meaningful point to bring up

That marrone benched MW all year likewise isn't proof that mike Williams is less productive suddenly

Edited by NoSaint

Right - if sammy went on IR week 8 and another receiver played 16 saying sammy barely got half as many yards would be a terrible talking point. Sammy was more productive for half the season but was injured would be the meaningful point to bring up

Yes, but you couldn't extrapolate.

We aren't.

Extrapolation just doesn't cut it for me. Too many variables. We extrapolated KO's numbers after his first couple of starts, and they looked impressive.

I'd rather have the injured year thrown out than extrapolated.

Edited by FireChan

Kelly was simply normalizing - would you feel better if he went strictly to per game stats? Extrapolating when it's a moderate sample more or less in line with career stats isn't ideal but it's hardly the same as stretching KO stats from the jets 16 weeks. It's essentially just an easy way to do bar napkin math unless you think KTD was trying to fudge numbers by fractions of a Td per year

Edited by NoSaint

Extrapolation just doesn't cut it for me. Too many variables. We extrapolated KO's numbers after his first couple of starts, and they looked impressive.

I'd rather have the injured year thrown out than extrapolated.

That's what I did. And The Big C*nt jumped all over that, saying "But that's not what the numbers are! He didn't average 8 TD's a year, he didn't even average 7, let alone some 7.67 bull ****! This is his fifth NFL season. He's scored 26 TD's."

Then he added all of the games this year, when he played a handful of plays, and counted them too.

No. It's closer to the truth. He has played three healthy seasons. He has played three full seasons. Those are the years you average stuff. If you don't, then you need to count the year in context. Otherwise stats are useless and misleading. 7.67 is closer to 8 than 7. It's indisputable. It's math. That's why numbers are rounded up, as an average. If you're going to sign a number of TDs to a season as an average, it's more correct to say 8 when he has 3-23 than it is to say 7 when he has 3-23. Did you fail second grade math?

And yet his termination in Buffalo coincides...WITH AN INJURY.

So even if we did employ the absurdity here and pick and choose which games "count" it's irrelevant to count his healthy time as a measure of his time in Buffalo...by your logic.

Kelly was simply normalizing - would you feel better if he went strictly to per game stats? Extrapolating when it's a moderate sample more or less in line with career stats isn't ideal but it's hardly the same as stretching KO stats from the jets 16 weeks. It's essentially just an easy way to do bar napkin math unless you think KTD was trying to fudge numbers by fractions of a Td per year

I'll take per game as they too fall short of 7 AND 8 TDs per year when extrapolated.

And yet his termination in Buffalo coincides...WITH AN INJURY.

So even if we did employ the absurdity here and pick and choose which games "count" it's irrelevant to count his healthy time as a measure of his time in Buffalo...by your logic.

I'll take per game as they too fall short of 7 AND 8 TDs per year when extrapolated.

When you insist on using this season as proof that MW isn't productive on a discussion about whether marrone is hindering his productivity by not allowing him to play it gets a bit circular/self serving

In Tampa it was 25 in 54 games, which is over 7

When you insist on using this season as proof that MW isn't productive on a discussion about whether marrone is hindering his productivity by not allowing him to play it gets a bit circular/self serving

In Tampa it was 25 in 54 games, which is over 7

I'm not using this for anything. I called CountDorkula out on his inaccurate bull ****, which it is, FROM EVERY ANGLE

Shall I list every receiver whose production fell off once he landed on a new team!?

I'm not using this for anything. I called CountDorkula out on his inaccurate bull ****, which it is, FROM EVERY ANGLE

Shall I list every receiver whose production fell off once he landed on a new team!?

So we can agree that outside of this season he's been producing at a pace of 7+ tds per 16 games played, over a 54 game period and that one season was cut short by injury out of his 4.

Are those controversial numbers for anyone?

This isn't just falling off and he hasn't left being a number 2 with a HOF qb and great scheme for new surroundings - it's a bit odd

Edited by NoSaint