Bills Sign WR Deonte Thompson; Mike Williams Waived to IR

Was Williams ever a slot receiver?

GO BILLS!!!

truly, i couldnt tell you his breakdown of snaps.

do you normally keep more than 2 outside receivers? if MW was out of control good, would we be looking at woods getting the axe? (clearly no)

that sammy and robert are good would be part of the plan from the start --- doesnt make sense as an answer for a reason to boot him mid season.

heck, atleast say hogan was a real surprise and stole his spot in the rotation if you are pointing at a receiver taking his job as the answer.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

truly, i couldnt tell you his breakdown of snaps.

do you normally keep more than 2 outside receivers? if MW was out of control good, would we be looking at woods getting the axe? (clearly no)

that sammy and robert are good would be part of the plan doesnt make sense as an answer for a reason to boot him mid season.

heck, atleast say hogan was a real surprise and stole his spot in the rotation if you are pointing at a receiver taking his job as the answer.

I'm not asking in the context of him getting waived. Has no bearing on my question. I was simply wondering if he had that kind of versatility. I think he could have added some value if he could play that position.

Woods was slated to play the slot the entire off season. Slot is often the least desirable position for a receiver, particularly one who prefers playing outside. I'm wondering if some of Woods' preseason consternation was for that very reason.

GO BILLS!!!

Did Woods play mostly outside last year?

He seemed to switch around. Goodwin often played outside. They tried Stevie in the slot but it really wasn't working. Woods played and can play both inside and outside. He's extremely versatile, and does everything well, that is why all reports before the draft were saying he was one of if not the most NFL ready.

The original idea was to move all of them around. Have all of them know all of the WR positions. Williams is more of an outside guy than the others though. He's more of a long stride guy.

I'm not asking in the context of him getting waived. Has no bearing on my question. I was simply wondering if he had that kind of versatility. I think he could have added some value if he could play that position.

Woods was slated to play the slot the entire off season. Slot is often the least desirable position for a receiver, particularly one who prefers playing outside. I'm wondering if some of Woods' preseason consternation was for that very reason.

GO BILLS!!!

He was often not playing with the ones at all. That was the consternation. Marrone was trying Hogan in the slot, which made him the #3 guy and Woods the #4 guy. Williams was the #2 on the outside. But if Williams was not playing, Woods was not actually #3, he would play #2 outside and Hogan would remain as #3 and in slot. But we often ran a 2 WR set.

... He was often not playing with the ones at all. That was the consternation. Marrone was trying Hogan in the slot, which made him the #3 guy and Woods the #4 guy. Williams was the #2 on the outside. But if Williams was not playing, Woods was not actually #3, he would play #2 outside and Hogan would remain as #3 and in slot. But we often ran a 2 WR set.

This made my head spin. I'm more used to X, Y, Z kind of stuff. But thanks for the reminder. Camp can be a confusing time for fans as coaches experiment with various groups. I think the key for the staff was interchangeability to the greatest extent possible and they did a lot of experimentation in camp before deciding what they were most comfortable with.

GO BILLS!!!