Start EJ

tuckan

The coaching staff has to weigh the benefits vs. the drawbacks.

Is there a reasonable expectation that Manuel will lead us to three straight wins? No.

Is there a reasonable expectation that Manuel will achieve meaningful developmental strides in "run for the bus" games? No.

Is there a reasonable expectation that if Manuel DOESN'T win the last three that the fans will blame him for not getting us to the playoffs? Yes.

The coaching staff stands to learn more about EJ Manuel's future after another full offseason and whether or not he wins the job back in a legitimate competition, than it does the last three games this year. It's just the continuation of the plan that should have played out like this last year.

And lastly, in spite of his performances, Kyle Orton deserves the opportunity to see if he can get this team to 10 wins, especially while they're still mathematically alive, long shot though it may be. This is his team, not EJ's at the moment. EJ can wait until next year.

GO BILLS!!!

The chances of the Bills making the playoffs are minimal to nonexistent. Odds are the Bills are not going to win against Green Bay and New England regardless who is qbing. The organization knows exactly what caliber of qb Orton is. What they don't know is what caliber of qb Manuel can be. Even if Manuel struggles or has uneven performances that doesn't mean that he can't get something out of his playing time.

There is a reasonable chance even if the Bills lose two out of three or even three out of three games that EJ can have episodic moments of good qb play.that can demonstrate to himself and others that there is good potential to work with.

I'm not as concerned with EJ's fragile psyche as others are. He is a strong character who can handle the ups and downs associated with his profession and position. Being benched was the right thing to do for him and the team. At the time of his benching there was enough time left in the season to make a serious run for the playoffs. That scenario is virtually gone, no matter what the numbers indicate. Even with mounting losses if EJ learns from his added playing time as the season winds down then that is beneficial situation for him and the organization.

From a fan standpoint it is more compelling to watch a qb prospect than a fading pedestrian qb play as the season comes to a conclusion. It EJ shows some ability then that is something to build on. If he struggles then there is more for him to work on in the offseason.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chances of the Bills making the playoffs are minimal to nonexistent. Odds are the Bills are not going to win against Green Bay and New England regardless who is qbing. The organization knows exactly what caliber of qb Orton is. What they don't know is what caliber of qb Manuel can be. Even if Manuel struggles or has uneven performances that doesn't mean that he can't get something out of his playing time.

There is a reasonable chance even if the Bills lose two out of three or even three out of three games that EJ can have episodic moments of good qb play.that can demonstrate to himself and others that there is good potential to work with.

I'm not as concerned with EJ's fragile psyche as others are. He is a strong character who can handle the ups and downs associated with his profession and position. Being benched was the right thing to do for him and the team. At the time of his benching there was enough time left in the season to make a serious run for the playoffs. That scenario is virtually gone, no matter what the numbers indicate. Even with mounting losses if EJ learns from his added playing time as the season winds down then that is beneficial situation for him and the organization.

From a fan standpoint it is more compelling to watch a qb prospect than a fading pedestrian qb play as the season comes to a conclusion. It EJ shows some ability then that is something to build on. If he struggles then there is more for him to work on in the offseason.

I'm looking at it from the coach's standpoint. And I happen to agree with it.

It's a moot point anyway. Orton's gonna start on Sunday. As well he should. It's his team and he needs to see if he can get it to 10-6 which, while maybe not good enough to make the playoffs, would be a big step in the right direction.

GO BILLS!!!

I think you're dead wrong. EJ had lost his confidence by the Houston game, and that was a major factor as to why he was benched.

you EJ haters need to find a new horse to beat. IMO half of what you spout is pure BS.

Orton can't win against the big boys. The realist knows that the season is all but over and that there will be NO playoffs.

keep supporting Mr Slow Motion can't dive for a 1st down Orton. Hell at least EJ can scramble.

I had a possible solution to our offensive woes a couple weeks ago. All this time EJ's been on the bench, our innovative OC should have been creating/devising plays that would have EJ in on certain downs. Hear me out....kind a like a pseudo-wildcat. Before you laugh and say no way, tell me, what is wrong with giving an opposing DC something else to prepare for? Because all they need to do is 10 minutes of film time on Orton and the rest of the time they were free to work on our Sammy, or other aspects of our offensive schemes. And all they had to do was bring the house after Orton; he was no threat. You can't tell me that that would be any worse than what we've had offensively. EJ was drafted as a dual threat; his mobility was touted and he'll he's 240 pounds, 6 foot 5. If you were truly fighting for your job as a head coach you would think you would try something.....anything....what's wrong with my suggestion?

you EJ haters need to find a new horse to beat. IMO half of what you spout is pure BS.

Orton can't win against the big boys. The realist knows that the season is all but over and that there will be NO playoffs.

keep supporting Mr Slow Motion can't dive for a 1st down Orton. Hell at least EJ can scramble.

Are you saying the coaches should adopt the "realist" mentality and coach like the season is over?

Like Marv said, you start listening to fans, you'll soon be sitting with them.

GO BILLS!!!

Are you saying the coaches should adopt the "realist" mentality and coach like the season is over?

Like Marv said, you start listening to fans, you'll soon be sitting with them.

GO BILLS!!!

How are you clinging to that "EJ sucks" bandwagon?

You realize that wagon has been tipped over and theres smoke coming out of the back of it, right?

Back that up with facts. Four of 14 first-round QBs in the past five years are successful. Here are their first-year stats (or first 15 or 16 games) and a comparison to EJ (from nfl.com):

Stafford - 13 games 1st and 2nd years: 19 TD/21 INT

Newton - 16 games 1st year: 21 TD/17 INT

Luck - 16 games 1st year: 23 TD/18 INT

Tannehill - 16 games 1st year: 12 TD/13 INT

EJ Manuel - 15 games 1st and 2nd years: 16 TD/12 INT

So, maybe EJ is not the answer. But what if he needs just a bit more time to develop? Your impatience with the Bills not going to the playoffs has nothing to do with the right or wrong way to develop a quarterback. Orton's numbers are 14/7 for this year (http://www.nfl.com/p...444/careerstats). He's a veteran. So how do these numbers demonstrate that EJ is worse than Orton--or any of the successful 1st round picks, for that matter?

EDIT: GO BILLS!!!!!!!

the "facts" are that orton has a higher passer rating and total QBR rating than EJ.

EJ does need more time to develop and I support that.

I also believe that if the coaches, who see him everyday, felt EJ was better, he'd be starting.

Has EJ learned decision making and accuracy since he was benched? Because while I hope he has been progressing, unless both of those things are different then they were in week 4, Orton gives us the best chance to beat the Packers, and that should be our only goal. If EJ can play better, I'm fine with a move at any point, but we have no reason to think he has made enough adjustments for that to be true, and week 15 isn't a time to be messing around.

By the way, Luck lost by 7 in Denver, the Chiefs lost by 7 in Denver, the 10 win Cardinals lost by 21, San Fran by 25, the Chargers by 14, and the Fish by 3. Some pretty good teams have fallen along the way to the Bronco's 7-0 record at home.

Orton isn't the answer, and the defense did most of the work, but right now I don't think EJ is a better chance to beat the Packers, and we aren't playing for 2015 quite yet.

We are NOT going to beat the Packers. We don't have a "Best chance" we have NO chance. Putting Orton in there won't make any difference. Good God, are you guys auditioning for the next HC job by demonstrating your mindless BS in front of the press skills?

How are you clinging to that "EJ sucks" bandwagon?

You realize that wagon has been tipped over and theres smoke coming out of the back of it, right?

Please don't lump me in with that crowd. EJ's grade is simply incomplete at this point. Just not enough to go on.

EJ shouldn't start the remaining games simply because that's not best for his development and there is little upside for him in doing so. He needs to keep doing what he's doing and come out swinging next offseason and stake his claim for the job. And I sincerely hope he does.

As I've tried to explain a million times, I don't want him anywhere near these last three games simply because he shouldn't be expected to be the savior, nor suffer the ignorance of fans who will blame him for not making the playoffs if he doesn't win three in a row. Nor does it do him any good to play meaningless run for the bus games surrounded by players doing just that.

Orton needs to play the last three. Period.

GO BILLS!!!

start EJ against Green Bay smart call after they demolish him, he won't be of value to anyone, hope he got his degree or his next job may be would you like fry's with that, yep settle this issue once and for all and move on, Fans get ready there will be lot of "look out blocks" when EJ gets in there, if line couldn't protect Orton, wait till you see how they protect EJ

the "facts" are that orton has a higher passer rating and total QBR rating than EJ.

EJ does need more time to develop and I support that.

I also believe that if the coaches, who see him everyday, felt EJ was better, he'd be starting.

Like they had Woods and Urbik and Williams in the dog house. Like they kept putting Spiller in game after game because of his nifty North South skills. Yeah, they have a keen eye for Offensive talent. Pun intended:)

Please don't lump me in with that crowd. EJ's grade is simply incomplete at this point. Just not enough to go on.

EJ shouldn't start the remaining games simply because that's not best for his development and there is little upside for him in doing so. He needs to keep doing what he's doing and come out swinging next offseason and stake his claim for the job. And I sincerely hope he does.

As I've tried to explain a million times, I don't want him anywhere near these last three games simply because he shouldn't be expected to be the savior, nor suffer the ignorance of fans who will blame him for not making the playoffs if he doesn't win three in a row. Nor does it do him any good to play meaningless run for the bus games surrounded by players doing just that.

Orton needs to play the last three. Period.

GO BILLS!!!

I apologize for the lump in. But EJ needs to develop chemistry and timing with the recievers. I dont advocate throwing him in at this point in the season either, but even if he wouldve sucked this entire year, would it hurt to let him get it out of his system. Every great QB has sucked his first year, Manning, Brees, Luck, even Joe Montana had a crappy first year.

And i hope he takes this team and makes it his next season, i mean somebodys got to. We have a superbowl contending team, were just missing one piece. Denver as a team is no better than us, including coaching. Theres only one difference, they have a hall of fame QB, we have a hall of lame QB

Edited by mastershake

Our best chance to win remains with Orton.

Having said that, if they want to go back to EJ, what the hell.

It doesn't matter.

but yet you'll be the first to point to the coaches win-lost record...thats the problem. If we win in late December and not make the playoffs then they are meaningless games. But if you lose those same meaningless games then they matter

I apologize for the lump in. But EJ needs to develop chemistry and timing with the recievers. I dont advocate throwing him in at this point in the season either, but even if he wouldve sucked this entire year, would it hurt to let him get it out of his system. Every great QB has sucked his first year, Manning, Brees, Luck, even Joe Montana had a crappy first year.

EJ can work on all that next year. No meaningful development can occur these next three games if he is the QB if/when the team is eliminated from the playoff picture. And you're right about first year QBs and EJ hasn't sucked as much as many of them in the past.

I also think Orton deserves a chance to go out swinging as well. He's 5-4 with those 4 being real stinkers. Let's see what he can do to atone. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's his team at this point. He made this bed he should get to lie in it.

GO BILLS!!!

What proof is their Orton gives them a chance to win? He has been awful. He has shown he is a kitty. He is nearly as inaccurate as EJ was.

EJ gives them a better chance to win Sunday and he needs the playing time.

The only reason Whaley won't demand it, is after he fires Marrone no new HC would want to work for a GM who dictated who plays.

You've hoarded them all....

I'm looking at it from the coach's standpoint. And I happen to agree with it.

It's a moot point anyway. Orton's gonna start on Sunday. As well he should. It's his team and he needs to see if he can get it to 10-6 which, while maybe not good enough to make the playoffs, would be a big step in the right direction.

GO BILLS!!!

IF Orton gets us to 10-6, you can bet there will be people saying he ought to be our starter next year. Not sure I'd disagree.

The way I see it, we have 2 scared QBs. One is scared to be hit(Orton)......the other is scared of making mistakes(EJ). I tend to think that EJ's fears affect his game play much more than Orton's do. The answer to the question of whether EJ has overcome the yips in his head is yet to be seen.