Doug Marrone: Jerry Hughes Wasn't Disciplined by Me

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone either didn't notice but should have. Or noticed and participated. He prides himself on being involved in all three phases of the team. Has said it flat out over and over. Has said all defensive calls go through him (although I doubt he overrules many if any). He started day one saying he is completely involved on all sides.

If he is going to be that guy, he has to know and he has to either overrule or take responsibility for it. If he is not going to be that guy, then he is like Chan who allows the defense to do everything on its own, and resulted in Chan getting fired.

This isn't to say one way is better than the other. But Marrone himself is the guy that decided and stated that he was going to be the all three phases guy, evebn though he would spend more time with the offense. He needs to know that Hughes is not in.

And it's bull **** because he did know. he said yesterday that "I thought we should sit him down a little while and let him calm down" or something just like that.

Marrone either didn't notice but should have. Or noticed and participated. He prides himself on being involved in all three phases of the team. Has said it flat out over and over. Has said all defensive calls go through him

If he actually said that, it's flat out bullschit. Complete and utter crap. Just from a game-day, time management stanpoint, it's impossible.

If he said it from a game-planning standpoint, I can believe it. But not on gamedays. Not even close.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

[/size]

If he actually said that, it's flat out bullschit. Complete and utter crap. Just from a game-day, time management stanpoint, it's impossible.

If he said it from a game-planning standpoint, I can believe it. But not on gamedays. Not even close.

GO BILLS!!!

Q: Has there been a change to who is call the plays?

A: No. All the plays on offense, defense and special teams go through me. I'm on all three phases.

That was after the KC game.

http://www.syracuse....transcript.html

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Wow, this is a big deal to me. Marrone is either incompetent or a liar. I think the guy is a little too honest with the media anyway, so I'm assuming he had no clue his best pass rusher was sitting on the sidelines and that scares me. I noticed Lawson was in for at least one huge run as well. A quality head coach does not miss something like this and it makes me wonder how much (or little) of a handle he has on the team. The media needs to ask him straight up how a HC doesn't realize his best pass rusher is on the sidelines for almost half the game.

That was after the KC game.

http://www.syracuse....transcript.html

He's either lying or is a defensive savant who should devote himself to defense full time given the results the last two years.

I refuse to believe, knowing the logistics involved, that defensive calls flow from Schwartz to him back to Schwartz and then to whatever defensive player is wearing the green dot on his helmet all within the time allowed on the playclock. And that assumes Schwartz doesn't have another coach talking into the players helmet.

GO BILLS!!!

He's either lying or is a defensive savant who should devote himself to defense full time given the results the last two years.

I refuse to believe, knowing the logistics involved, that defensive calls flow from Schwartz to him back to Schwartz and then to whatever defensive player is wearing the green dot on his helmet all within the time allowed on the playclock. And that assumes Schwartz doesn't have another coach talking into the players helmet.

GO BILLS!!!

I have said this dozens of times here over the last several years, that I think Russ Brandon is very, very good at his job, but I don't believe a word he says. I like Brandon, I hope and believe he stays on the job and keeps doing what he's doing. I just don't believe him at all when he talks.

That's mostly from being in the film and tv business, parsing words for a living, hearing all kinds of PR bull ****, as well as knowing how hard it is to be completely honest when speaking in press conferences.

And Marrone, too, right from the start, tried to be a little different, tried to think before he spoke, tried to be honest, or so it seemed. I liked him at first. I gave him (and still give him) the benefit of the doubt as a coach, until he shows me that either he is good enough to stick or not good enough so he needs to go. But it's getting harder and harder to believe him as the two years have gone on.

And at first I thought it was impossible for him to really hold grudges; now I think it's entirely possible.

I think the two biggest problems this team has had this year is a lack of good QBing, and a glaring offensive philosophy problem, which is all on Marrone. He does a lot of stuff I like out of my HC. We shall see what happens in the next few games. But I'm starting to lose faith in him.

Marrone either didn't notice but should have. Or noticed and participated. He prides himself on being involved in all three phases of the team. Has said it flat out over and over. Has said all defensive calls go through him (although I doubt he overrules many if any). He started day one saying he is completely involved on all sides.

If he is going to be that guy, he has to know and he has to either overrule or take responsibility for it. If he is not going to be that guy, then he is like Chan who allows the defense to do everything on its own, and resulted in Chan getting fired.

This isn't to say one way is better than the other. But Marrone himself is the guy that decided and stated that he was going to be the all three phases guy, evebn though he would spend more time with the offense. He needs to know that Hughes is not in.

And it's bull **** because he did know. he said yesterday that "I thought we should sit him down a little while and let him calm down" or something just like that.

What's amazing to me outside of his either ignorance or brazen bullshitting is he simultaneously managed to throw two of our most important pieces under the bus to save face with a press corps that already doesn't like him. It makes no sense to throw Pepper Johnson under the bus, or Hughe$. As coach I would hope he'd have the mentality to go down with the ship he built... guess he's a coward on top of being a terrible game manager.

What's amazing to me outside of his either ignorance or brazen bullshitting is he simultaneously managed to throw two of our most important pieces under the bus to save face with a press corps that already doesn't like him. It makes no sense to throw Pepper Johnson under the bus, or Hughe$. As coach I would hope he'd have the mentality to go down with the ship he built... guess he's a coward on top of being a terrible game manager.

Thrown under the bus? I don't know if I disagree with taking Hughes out, so if Marrone and co. believe it was the right thing to do, he's not throwing anyone under the bus.

Don't know if he was throwing PJ under the bus here. Hughes and PJ have gotten into it before. Hughes doesn't discriminate when it comes to expressing himself to his coaches. It's perfectly within reason for me to believe that Pepper Johnson got in Hughes' earhole about another bad penalty and Hughes, given his penchant for highly charged emotional input (that's a good thing for a DE, btw), shouted right back. There ARE times Hughes needs to calm down, Marrone's penchant for bullschitting notwithstanding.

GO BILLS!!!

Thrown under the bus? I don't know if I disagree with taking Hughes out, so if Marrone and co. believe it was the right thing to do, he's not throwing anyone under the bus.

Whether true or not, putting it on Pepper Johnson in the way he did is the definition of throwing him under the bus. He even scolded him through the press, "it should have come through me," -- that's weak. Benching Hughes and pleading ignorance about it when it cost the team 7, if not 10 points, is also weak... but probably not throwing him under the bus. You're right there.

But it sure makes it harder to keep Jerry around next year if you take a passionate player off the field for being passionate in the biggest game of the year.

Whether true or not, putting it on Pepper Johnson in the way he did is the definition of throwing him under the bus. He even scolded him through the press, "it should have come through me," -- that's weak. Benching Hughes and pleading ignorance about it when it cost the team 7, if not 10 points, is also weak... but probably not throwing him under the bus. You're right there.

But it sure makes it harder to keep Jerry around next year if you take a passionate player off the field for being passionate in the biggest game of the year.

I mean, yeah. But I bet Hughes would be the first to tell you he shouldn't have gotten yet another PF.

I think you can spin it anyway you want, if Marrone says it's on him that his staff yanked him, then we could say he's blind to the faults of his coaching staff. It's a little press thing in Buffalo. I'd be surprised if anyone in the media remembers what Pep did by week 17.

Edited by FireChan