Refs for today?

norton20

There were a ton of bad calls. I don't think anyone has even mentioned the spot of the ball when Hogan caught the ball with about 2 minutes and change left in the game. Clearly, he was across the line for a first down. The ball was spotted a yard back (while the clock kept running), making it 4th and 1.

I'm not sure why it wasn't challenged by Marrone, unless it was past the point in the game at which they can no longer challenge or he didn't want to risk losing a time out.

The Bills did get the first down on the next play, in spite of the bad spot and extra precious seconds taken off the clock.

Later that same day.....watching the Chargers/Patriots....there was a play when Rivers threw a ball to a receiver running towards the end zone. The Patriot defender was molesting the receiver, pulling at his jersey and his hands all over him. The official was standing right there at the goal line. No PI call there. Not for the darling Patriots. I'm thinking to myself, "but Gilmore gets flagged for textbook pass defense a couple weeks ago when his left hand was in light contact with the receiver's back as he reached around to bat the ball away?" And of course yesterday, Gilmore times a hit perfectly, but gets flagged. The lack of consistency is what drives me crazy. Fortunately, River threw a TD pass on the next play and the non-call didn't effect the outcome.

The Bills could have made plays to negate the poor officiating, but they didn't. It's very possible the Bills could have won the game without the refs giving the Broncos all the breaks. We'll never know. But one thing is for sure - the Bills are not a championship team and won't be until they execute better. Orton is doing a good job with his natural talent. He's a decent enough game manager. The problem is he can't make the throws unless his feet are planted perfectly and he doesn't have to move. Even with that, it dubious. If the Bills had a passer with good field vision, who was at least minimally mobile, and could hit their target consistently, they'd be one of the top tier team in the AFC. Maybe then the officials would give them a break.

After watching Orton and then watching Brady throw frozen rope darts to his receivers in the night game, it's clear the Bills are still a good QB away from any realistic playoff hope.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the calls killed our momentum, and I really try giving officials the benefit of the doubt... but it was hard today.

The fist pump does not bother me at all, two guys working together it is what I saw... More upset with the calls ticky tack stuff, and timing of them just seems sketchy more than a fist bump.

The games are a farce, but it is still entertaining to watch. I should have just let our toddler watch Mickey Mouse like he requested, but for some reason I enjoy watching my Bills lose games. Sometimes they actually overcome the refs' calls, such as the opening game against the Bears.

The poor Browns got hosed by the refs in their game against Indy as well. The powers that be certainly prefer a Luck vs. Manning or Brady vs. Manning matchup come playoff time as opposed to Buffalo vs. Cleveland (Orton vs. Hoyer).

Edited by Bilbo

The early penalty on N. Robey on the pass deflect in the endzone was the perfect scam.

It gives Manning three more chances to put up points.-- I would imagine the Broncos have a great record when scoring first.

It eliminates a GREAT play by a DB--it wasn't a dropped pass or an incomplete ball or a sack--it squelches any potential momentum generated by it, for him and team.

It tells Buffalo early on they have two teams they must defeat.

The early penalty on N. Robey on the pass deflect in the endzone was the perfect scam.

It gives Manning three more chances to put up points.-- I would imagine the Broncos have a great record when scoring first.

It eliminates a GREAT play by a DB--it wasn't a dropped pass or an incomplete ball or a sack--it squelches any potential momentum generated by it, for him and team.

It tells Buffalo early on they have two teams they must defeat.

Apparently, the call was actually on Aaron Williams with the referee announcing the incorrect number.

Apparently, the call was actually on Aaron Williams with the referee announcing the incorrect number.

Isn't that a different penalty if Williams' man wasn't the intended receiver? Illegal contact or holding? 10 yards from line of scrimmage rather than at the point of the foul inside the 10 yard line.

Either way, wrong player named or wrong call - it displays the incompetance of the officials.

I'm curious what is the NFL's best spin on the four key calls:

Robey defensive holding - it was pretty clear Robey didn't commit foul - no PI, no defensive holding, no illegal contact. Speculation that call was on A.Williams and that they just got number wrong. Couple of things about that. Is that random speculation or is that from the league office? Anybody see any film of A. Williams on the play? Also, that seems incredibly incompetent to call erroneously call the number of the guy who just made what appeared to be a great play.

Graham pick - holding call on K. Williams. You can see Kyle engage an offensive player. if it was holding, it wasn't blatant. It seemed at best an incredibly ticky - tack call under the circumstances.

Gilmore PI - got there same time as ball, legal hit. Is there any spin on this? Just seems to be a bad call

Gilmore pic - Graham personal foul - this seemed to be ultimate phantom call. Has anyone seen any film showing anything Graham did which would justify a flag? Doesn't seem like you can spin this either.

Isn't that a different penalty if Williams' man wasn't the intended receiver? Illegal contact or holding? 10 yards from line of scrimmage rather than at the point of the foul inside the 10 yard line.

Either way, wrong player named or wrong call - it displays the incompetance of the officials.

The penalty was illegal contact.

3-6-BUF 19 (3:22) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete deep middle to 83-W.Welker (37-N.Robey). PENALTY on BUF-37-N.Robey, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 19 - No Play.

I'm curious what is the NFL's best spin on the four key calls:

Robey defensive holding - it was pretty clear Robey didn't commit foul - no PI, no defensive holding, no illegal contact. Speculation that call was on A.Williams and that they just got number wrong.

To go with what I said above about this critical play, the enthusiasm by whitch the ref announced to the stadium " five yard penalty and an AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN"--sounded as though he was introducing Taylor Swift or something.

I'll bet a memo goes around to the officials asking them to sound less excited when describing these type of calls.

Edited by Thunderstealer

The refs in this game were among the worst that I have seen Pereira is an apologist for them. If he were 1% as critical of these refs as he was of the replacements, his head would have exploded (as did mine).

It was not just that they were bad, they were bad only toward one team and at critical times. The phantom call on Robey. The two flags on huge INT returns. The phantom call on Gilmore that led to the flag on Hughes because he was so hot about it. The no call on a head but on Smith. These were all pretty much at critical times.

I obviously cannot say with any certainty that we would have won the game without these mistakes. Nevertheless, I can say with 100% certainty that we clearly had a fighting chance. Even with the BS calls, we showed that we clearly belong on the same field as Denver.

I actually thought that we started out with some creative play calling that surprised Denver. Once we got behind, we started to play catch up and Denver's D was able to tee off on us. The game changed because of these horrendous officials.

Just my two cents.

Couldn't agree with you more. Disheartening at the worst level.............