Schwartz (Tennessee) vs Manning (Indy)

Im at work so I couldn't put to much effort in the research. I looked up how Schwartz faired against trying to stop Manning when he was the DC his final theee years in Tennessee 2006- 2007-2008. Im not sure if he ever coached against him in Detroit but put less emphasis on that due to the fact he was the Head coach and would only be running the D in theory.

In six games the Titans allowed a total of 106 points to Manning's Colts. Less than 18 points a game. I know its just a small sample but Schwartz is very familiar with Manning from his days in Tennessee and seems to know how to slow him down.

Edited by Estelle Getty

I don't think Schwartz knows any more or less about P Manning than any other DC to face him at this point. The book has been written on Peyton since the playoffs last year. If he can't get rid of the ball in less than his usual 2 seconds, he's a sitting duck. And his arm is nothing like it used to be.

Certainly cant agree with that since Schwartz was responsible for stopping him twice a year for about 7 or 8 years. I would say he knows Manning better than most.

What special insight would Schwartz have that other divisional DCs didn't have? He just had better players, just like he does now. He has no magic...

The Seahawks had never played Manning under Pete Carroll, yet they were able to figure out how to ruin Manning pretty quickly.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Im at work so I couldn't put to much effort in the research. I looked up how Schwartz faired against trying to stop Manning when he was the DC his final theee years in Tennessee 2006- 2007-2008. Im not sure if he ever coached against him in Detroit but put less emphasis on that due to the fact he was the Head coach and would only be running the D in theory.

In six games the Titans allowed a total of 106 points to Manning's Colts. Less than 18 points a game. I know its just a small sample but Schwartz is very familiar with Manning from his days in Tennessee and seems to know how to slow him down.

More importantly- and I've wondered this for quite some time- why is your screen name Estelle Getty and then your avatar a picture of a woman who is not Estelle Getty?

What special insight would Schwartz have that other divisional DCs didn't have? He just had better players, just like he does now. He has no magic...

The Seahawks had never played Manning under Pete Carroll, yet they were able to figure out how to ruin Manning pretty quickly.

This seems shortsighted. Obviously familiarity and a measure of success show you how someone reacts in different situations. Where does the OP say Schwartz is better situated to understand Manning than anyone else? Cause I don't see it.

whatever it takes to win

It is no big secret how to stop manning. Get consistent pressure with your front 4 & take away the short slants & crossing patterns that he loves to go to. The problem is most defenses do not have the personal to effectively accomplish this. The Bills defense may. Seatle had the personal & you saw what happened. Try to Blitz Manning & he will usually torch you.

Manning is a great quarterback in the present because he's brilliant at adjusting to what the defense shows him.

The secret to destabilizing Manning is watching tape of John Pagano's strategy against Manning. What do you think Seattle watched? He uses blitzes from all over the place, three safety dime packages,safety blitzes, standing linemen at the snap (like the Bills did in that one MNF game).

I enjoy watching his defenses, even against the Bills because it's unpredictable. The Chargers just don't have the personnel like they've had in recent years to execute the mayhem.

The Bills have an advantage in having an elite front four that generates ton of pressure but the Bills will have to get creative and stay creative after halftime to keep Manning uncomfortable.