Should the NFL disqualify a team from the postseason with a losing rec

I personally think so. While I'm not usually a fan of drastic changes in the league, I believe this will eventually become a rule and should.

While it worked for Seattle a few years ago (finished 7-9 yet hosted a playoff game, defeating New Orleans), I don't foresee whomever "wins" the NFC south this year being competitive with the likes of Green Bay, Dallas etc.

I personally think the team with a winning record and in second or third place in a competitive, good division should be rewarded the spot. Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Eliminates the purpose of divisions and would make the rule of playing teams twice in your own division every year pointless. So while I see what you mean, no I do not think it is a good idea.

Then eliminate divisions and play against your conference with two interconference games each year.

I've suggested this in the past.

I personally think so. While I'm not usually a fan of drastic changes in the league, I believe this will eventually become a rule and should.

While it worked for Seattle a few years ago (finished 7-9 yet hosted a playoff game, defeating New Orleans), I don't foresee whomever "wins" the NFC south this year being competitive with the likes of Green Bay, Dallas etc.

I personally think the team with a winning record and in second or third place in a competitive, good division should be rewarded the spot. Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

I don't think any system you come up with 100% accounts for getting the top 6 teams slotted 1-6, and that a team winning its division getting the spot is fine by me. hosting a game I'm sometimes on the fence with but not the end of the world.

There are too many divisions and/or guaranteed playoff births. I thought the league was perfect at 30 teams with 3 divisions of 5 teams in each conference. Four divisions of four teams is just too much.

I would reduce it to two divisions of 8 teams in each conference giving playoff births to the two div winners and next 4 best in each conference regardless of division. They could still have sub divisions for scheduling purposes but no guaranteed playoff spots for them.

This would pretty much guarantee the division winners were good teams who earned the playoff birth and first round bye. Taking the next four best would also pretty much eliminate the chances of a team like Arizona last year getting screwed. There would always be a chance of a good team with a good record missing the playoffs but it wouldnt be because of a weak division winner getting in.

Edited by Max997

Wholeheartedly agree. It doesn't matter if you've won your division, IMO.

Frankly, if you cannot produce at least a .500 record in the NFL, you have no business in the playoffs over a Wild Card team with a winning record.

What if the division winner is 8-8 and there's a 10-6 team at home?

Win your division and you're in... even if your division sucks. I have zero problems with that. If the league feels having teams with losing records in the playoffs, then change the divisions not the format.

No, if it is not broken, don't fix it. For the very rare case it happens (I think twice ever) it is fine the way it is. Manage the rule not the exception.

What if the division winner is 8-8 and there's a 10-6 team at home?

What if the division has 2 severely bad teams (even thought the NFC South is now 4 bad teams)?

That 10-6 team could very well have got to play 4 easy games.

There is no good way to solve this.

Leave it.

Do you think this would help the Bills, is that what is behind this?

This Bills team isn't that good. The teams at the top of the divisions, and at the top of the Wild Card Race, are better.

I am the last person in the world who would be in favor of this. I think the NFL is perfect right now with the divisions, scheduling, etc. and I generally hate changes. I hate the idea of a 17th or 18th game and I hate the idea of a 7th or 8th playoff team. That being said, I think I would be OK with making it so you have to be 8-8 as a division winner or else another wild card team is added and the # 1 wild card gets the 4 spot. EDIT: I'm watching ESPN and they mentioned that you're going to better off not winning the NFC East because more than likely the 2nd place team in the NFC East would get to go to Atlanta/New Orleans. They will make a change this offseason, bet on it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives