Favorite new beer that you have tried recently

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're wrong. As shocking as I'm sure that is to you, you are. It is a lager, but it's (historically) a Belgian lager. And I didn't say it was a wheat beer. I said it led to my love for wheat beers. Because of Stella's Belgian heritage, I tried other Belgian beers like Duvel and Tripel Karmeliet, which does include wheat. Eventually, I tried Hoegaarden (another Belgian wheat) and then stumbled upon the IPW I mentioned in my post.

Yes ... I know you know a lot more about beer than I do; that's not in question, nor does it concern me. But saying Stella Artois isn't a Belgian-style beer, when its origins are, in fact, in Belgium - is incorrect.

Wrong. Look up what is meant by a Belgian style beer and then tell me how a poor excuse for a Pils, a Czech style beer, compares to an abby or a dubbel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner

Wrong. Look up what is meant by a Belgian style beer and then tell me how a poor excuse for a Pils, a Czech style beer, compares to an abby or a dubbel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner

If you're telling me that a beer that was born in Belgium is not a Belgian-style beer, then we shall agree to disagree. You can throw out all of the terminology like abby an dubbel that I don't understand all you want. But saying Stella Artois isn't a Belgian-style beer is like saying Budweiser isn't an American-style beer.

Again ... I didn't say it was a wheat ale. I didn't say it was a Belgian ale. But it was created in Belgium; hence making it Belgian. I don't need Google for that.

I just had the Ballast Point Even Keel last night while watching the Buffalo game....very good session IPA, no where as good as the Sculpin but a mighty fine beer

is Even Keel preferable to you over Big Eye? its obviously not as good as Sculpin, but is it better than Big Eye? (meaning, should I purchase Even Keel over Big Eye?

kind of depends what you are looking for. The Even Keel is a session IPA, much like Founders All Day, it is something you can enjoy several times over without getting too buzzed after several. The Big Eye is upwards of 7-8% so after a couple/few you may start feeling the effects and subsequently the next morning could suck. The Big Eye is an excellent beer so don't get me wrong, either one is a great choice.

is Even Keel preferable to you over Big Eye? its obviously not as good as Sculpin, but is it better than Big Eye? (meaning, should I purchase Even Keel over Big Eye?

kind of depends what you are looking for. The Even Keel is a session IPA, much like Founders All Day, it is something you can enjoy several times over without getting too buzzed after several. The Big Eye is upwards of 7-8% so after a couple/few you may start feeling the effects and subsequently the next morning could suck. The Big Eye is an excellent beer so don't get me wrong, either one is a great choice.

Got ya and thanks

Side note: I really don't like any of founders beers, especially the all day - they are just far too yeasty/malty for my tastes

i have to stand with others on this one....TYPICALLY, when you think of Belgian Style Beers they have the characteristics of wild yeast, open fermentation, picking up flavors like candi sugar, banana, bandaid etc, flavors not usually found in other styles of beer but actually very desirable in Belgian Style, more along the lines of farmhouse or saison styles. Stella to me is more of a Czech Pilsner style of beer. Sadly Buweiser is/was considered an American Style beer, thankfully, Boston Brewing, Sierra Nevada and West Coast IPA's are becoming more of an American Style

If you're telling me that a beer that was born in Belgium is not a Belgian-style beer, then we shall agree to disagree. You can throw out all of the terminology like abby an dubbel that I don't understand all you want. But saying Stella Artois isn't a Belgian-style beer is like saying Budweiser isn't an American-style beer.

Again ... I didn't say it was a wheat ale. I didn't say it was a Belgian ale. But it was created in Belgium; hence making it Belgian. I don't need Google for that.

i have to stand with others on this one....TYPICALLY, when you think of Belgian Style Beers they have the characteristics of wild yeast, open fermentation, picking up flavors like candi sugar, banana, bandaid etc, flavors not usually found in other styles of beer but actually very desirable in Belgian Style, more along the lines of farmhouse or saison styles. Stella to me is more of a Czech Pilsner style of beer. Sadly Buweiser is/was considered an American Style beer, thankfully, Boston Brewing, Sierra Nevada and West Coast IPA's are becoming more of an American Style

Okay, then ... I will stand corrected, as far as my usage of the term "Belgian-style." I was really just trying to say that it came from Belgium, but I can see how "Belgian-style" means something completely different. However, my misunderstanding led me to try actual Belgian/Belgian-style beers and I ended up loving them. All's well that ends well.

Okay, then ... I will stand corrected, as far as my usage of the term "Belgian-style." I was really just trying to say that it came from Belgium, but I can see how "Belgian-style" means something completely different. However, my misunderstanding led me to try actual Belgian/Belgian-style beers and I ended up loving them. All's well that ends well.

so if you like Belgian style ales, try some of these Sasions that i think are absolutely fantastic...and i drink as much Saison as i do any other style.

1) Hennepin from Ommegang..

2) Tank 7 from Boulevard. Be careful though, 8.5% ABV and does not taste it. Found that out the hard way(cab home when planning on driving)

3) Allagash Saison

I like the Sophie as well from Goose Island, but do not find it worth the price( A-B at least not screwing them up yet).

And love, love , love the Singel from Hardywood here in Richmond. If you see some ion the store, it is a definite buy

http://www.hardywood.com/content/hardywood-singel

so if you like Belgian style ales, try some of these Sasions that i think are absolutely fantastic...and i drink as much Saison as i do any other style.

1) Hennepin from Ommegang..

2) Tank 7 from Boulevard. Be careful though, 8.5% ABV and does not taste it. Found that out the hard way(cab home when planning on driving)

3) Allagash Saison

I like the Sophie as well from Goose Island, but do not find it worth the price( A-B at least not screwing them up yet).

And love, love , love the Singel from Hardywood here in Richmond. If you see some ion the store, it is a definite buy

http://www.hardywood...ardywood-singel

Saison DuPont is one my favorite Belgians.

This love child between Dogfish, Victory and Stone is another.

http://www.dogfish.c...son-du-BUFF.htm

Edited by Jauronimo

i am also very glad A-B/I has kept their hands off the Goose Island lines so far....i am also SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad Hardywood is now in the Philly market now, now if only Legend would distribute up here.

http://www.hardywood...ardywood-singel

Any of these drafts worth trying ? Go to this place often, but lack the beer knowledge or taste buds most of you have.

Had the pale ale last night and it sucked hard. Need some solid recommendations or its gonna be bud light for life. All the snooty beer snobs will laugh and the bartenders will keep saying we only have good beer here to me.

http://tappedgastropub.com/beer-menu/

Edited by Ryan L Billz

a couple that I will always go to when offered

Bells Two Hearted Ale

Devils Backbone Vienna Lager

Boulevard Saison-Brett

Starr Hill Whiter Shade of Pale White IPA

AleWerks Shorty Time IPA

Firestone Walker Double Jack 2XIPA

a couple I have never heard of but would try in a heartbeat

Young Veterans Jet Noise 2XIPA

Breckenridge 471 2XIPA

Heritage The Teddy American Pale Ale

Beach Brewing Co. Hoptopus

Any of these drafts worth trying ? Go to this place often, but lack the beer knowledge or taste buds most of you have.

Had the pale ale last night and it sucked hard.

Edited by The Poojer

Had the pale ale last night and it sucked hard. Need some solid recommendations or its gonna be bud light for life w snooty beer snobs or bartenders saying we only have good beer here to me.

yes, a lot of AWESOME beers on that menu, just depends what fits your palate.

I would try a bunch, get to know a few styles you like, and then pick from the menu.

BTW, knew this place was in Hampton roads by the O'Connor taps...really like the few i have tried from there.