it's now clear we should taken beckham and kept our 2015 1st ...

truth on hold

That's not the point of this exercise. The point which was proven in another thread, regardless of which position is picked very few teams picking in the top 10 have yielded Super Bowls over the past 15 years.

as it turns out, teams picking in the top ten are often not very good in general.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why second-guessing Buffalo's front office is automatically wrong to some. It's not like this current personnel group (with many of the same characters since the late nineties) has proven anything beyond being able to go 6-10. Watkins vs. Beckham Jr. is going to be a continuing debate whether people like it or not as both of their (and others) careers unfold.

It's not automatically wrong at all. I think that saying that anything is clear regarding rookies that have played all of 10 games in the NFL is crazy.

Last year at this time, Nick Foles was an unquestioned franchise QB. Two years ago, RG3 was on his way to the HOF. Now it looks like neither of them will be starting for their respective teams in 2015.

Moreover, it's folly to point out that staying put and drafting Beckham would've been a better move when Watkins' play has lead directly to 3 wins despite his playing through 2 separate injuries (something Beckham couldn't--or in the very least didn't--do to start the season).

It's 100% fine to compare the two players and question whether or not the difference between them is worth what Buffalo gave up. However, it takes a heck of a lot more than 10 games of play (or 7 in Beckham's case). It's also worth considering (which nobody seems to want to do) what the team is really missing out on in 2015. Who is the player that we're so concerned with not drafting this upcoming April?

as it turns out, teams picking in the top ten are often not very good in general.

Yea, that's really the crux of it.

But it proves the point that when drafting in the top 10, you can't say "You only draft this position". It's about identifying talent in the top ten, regardless of position.

But it proves the point that when drafting in the top 10, you can't say "You only draft this position". It's about identifying talent in the top ten, regardless of position.

yup - whoever the pick, you need to hit on it. sure, if the qb you want is there that trumps a wr - but you pick the guys you believe in and if you are right, your team will be headed the right direction.

yup - whoever the pick, you need to hit on it. sure, if the qb you want is there that trumps a wr - but you pick the guys you believe in and if you are right, your team will be headed the right direction.

Yes, which is why if you have a good scouting department, you can indeed get a franchise QB outside the 1st rd.

Yes, exactly. It's about adding the most talented players. The only time position should (IMO) enter the discussion in the top 10 is when you don't have a QB. Even then, you need to feel really good about the guy.

It's also worth considering (which nobody seems to want to do) what the team is really missing out on in 2015. Who is the player that we're so concerned with not drafting this upcoming April?

This is my favorite part of the argument. Everyone that MMQB's decisions naturally won't be outraged about a particular player that will be drafted in the middle of the 1st round, at least until he has played 7-10 games. That's when they go "we should have taken that guy." It all the same people now saying we should have taken OBJ when at the time very, very, very few on here were saying that. There were people that wanted Ebron & Greg Robinson. Why aren't those people screaming still that the Bills screwed up by missing out on those guys?

For those of you that hate the move, who is it that you are afraid to miss out on in the middle of the 1st round in 2015?

This is my favorite part of the argument. Everyone that MMQB's decisions naturally won't be outraged about a particular player that will be drafted in the middle of the 1st round, at least until he has played 7-10 games. That's when they go "we should have taken that guy." It all the same people now saying we should have taken OBJ when at the time very, very, very few on here were saying that. There were people that wanted Ebron & Greg Robinson. Why aren't those people screaming still that the Bills screwed up by missing out on those guys?

For those of you that hate the move, who is it that you are afraid to miss out on in the middle of the 1st round in 2015?

Yes. Exactly.

Tell you what Kirby, I'll at least address the question you and I are asking. I've looked at it, and I don't really see the game-breaking TE I'd like, but I'd be really happy to add another pass rusher like Shawn Oakman or Shaq Thompson.

Yes. Exactly.

Tell you what Kirby, I'll at least address the question you and I are asking. I've looked at it, and I don't really see the game-breaking TE I'd like, but I'd be really happy to add another pass rusher like Shawn Oakman or Shaq Thompson.

I guess I'd probably take the best G on the board if I was drafting for the Bills mid-first. But they can also sign one in FA.

I posted up thread an archived thread about OBJ from pre-draft. Lots of "I will puke if we take this guy at 9."

Yes. Exactly.

I like Shaq Thompson a lot and will throw La'el Collins out there as well.

FWIW, the last mock that I looked at a few weeks ago had the Bills taking Hundley in the 2nd and Nick O'Leary in the 3rd.

I posted up thread an archived thread about OBJ from pre-draft. Lots of "I will puke if we take this guy at 9."

I saw that and it made me laugh. The guy was going to be good but I don't know if anyone saw him as this good. With that being said I still don't think that he is a better player than Sammy. All of those people that were screaming for Ebron are now asking "why did we pass on Beckham?" People can't have it both ways. If you were the person clamoring for Beckham feel free to come here and gloat but link the post where you saI'd it before the draft, not after watching him play 1/2 a season.

time will tell.

i did not like the trade up at the time and still not thrilled with it. I am thrilled with Sammy and think he will have a great career when he plays with a good qb and can develop a relationship with that qb.

Should the Bills have given up a first for a wr? I still am not sold. And yes has the other WR's from this class play well it makes it more clear the Bills did not need to trade up for a play maker. The Bills targeted one player and thus they went after him. I do like the aggressive move we have not seen in some time at One Bills Drive.

I like Shaq Thompson a lot and will throw La'el Collins out there as well.

FWIW, the last mock that I looked at a few weeks ago had the Bills taking Hundley in the 2nd and Nick O'Leary in the 3rd.

I like Collins; I think he'll fit best in the NFL as a guard a la Carl Nicks. I'm not a Hundley fan, but I'd be good with a QB in the 2nd and O'Leary in the 3rd, provided we can score a guy like Clint Boling in FA (along with re-signing Hughes and landing a 3rd pass rusher).

time will tell.

i did not like the trade up at the time and still not thrilled with it. I am thrilled with Sammy and think he will have a great career when he plays with a good qb and can develop a relationship with that qb.

Should the Bills have given up a first for a wr? I still am not sold. And yes has the other WR's from this class play well it makes it more clear the Bills did not need to trade up for a play maker. The Bills targeted one player and thus they went after him. I do like the aggressive move we have not seen in some time at One Bills Drive.

Now this right here is how to present a reasonable opinion. I don't wholly agree; I do very much respect the presentation.

The guy makes a circus catch and is now better than Sammy. People's opinions on this board change like the wind blows

A truly ridiculous post. Beckham has done a lot more than catch one pass. In only 7 games (his first seven games as a pro) he has 41 catches for 609 yards.

I think it's up for debate. I wouldn't say it's 'clear'...

I'm on record saying that you don't give up two 1st round picks for a WR regardless of the player. This is not a knock on Watkins, but if you don't have a franchise QB like Rodgers,Manning, Brees or Luck, then you don't use a top 5 pick on a WR. The Bills have made many strategic errors over the years and this is on the list.