Maybe the Bills are not So Bad After All

Casey D

Casey: You sound like a rational person. I don't know if you are right, but you make reasoned arguments and I appreciate it.

It will be interesting to see how the team reacts in these last six games. We will find out a lot about the players and Marone as head coach.

I totally agree on the last point. If they finish 6-10 or 7-9, I think I end up, reluctantly, in the blowing it up camp. They need to show me they can take the punches from these past two games and get up off the floor. If they can't then I don't think Marrone has changed the culture at all. If they do, then I would stay the course.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the bills magically have a chance at the playoffs the last week of the year going into NE. The pats have the number one see locked up and determine they want to play te bills in the playoffs.

They purposely go vanilla and lose the game! bills make the playoffs!!!

Then they lose 58-3 the next week and billy bello heat laughs all the way home because he knows he gets two more wins next year with matrons and jacket at the helm!!

the way NE is playing they 'll have a 1st round bye again, so no wildcard game for them

We're right in the thick of it! If only we had a kicker who could make it from our own endzone, we might score enough points to stay in games!

The defense keeps this team hanging around. The offense is often given very good field position, only to squander it. We haven't scored a TD in 26 offensive possessions => NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

St. Doug needs to fix it.

We're right in the thick of it! If only we had a kicker who could make it from our own endzone, we might score enough points to stay in games!

The defense keeps this team hanging around. The offense is often given very good field position, only to squander it. We haven't scored a TD in 26 offensive possessions => NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

We are not right in the thick of it. It would take three straight wins to make me think that. Highly unlikely.

Just as there was a tipping point with Jauron, it's past the tipping point for Doug to "fix it" now.

This is a league that rewards those who take the fight to the opposing defense and score touchdowns. Not for those who's main objective is to not turn the ball over and looking decent moving up and down the field between the 20 yard lines.

No question-- they defy the point of the salary cap every bit as much as the Patriots. Makes me want to puke.

Just goes to show that it is all about the QB, not the coaches. Look at all the so called genius coaches & see if they had a very good - to great QB. If we had Brady or Manning, no one would be calling Marrone & Hackett bad coaches.

Perhaps they are bad. I don't know. Fans tend to over evaluate the home team's talent. Except for perhaps Sammy & Glenn, the offensive talent seems quite ordinary. If that is true, then perhaps the coaching is better than we think.

I often get ticked off that we never seem to go after a Mettenberger type of guy in the middle rounds. Always good to have young competition at that position. I guess they feel that it is more important to get a Duke Williams.

No it shows that the situation in the NFL is quite fluid this year, and "things people know" one week become discredited quickly, e.g., the Patriots are done meme in early October. It is not close games played by bad teams, but supposedly superior teams losing to the same teams the Bills played well against consistently that evidences that the Bills may be close to breaking through next year. I don't know why it always has to be there are "realists" and "Kool-Aid" drinkers. I'm neither. A moderate I suppose. Just trying to figure out the best way forward. Blowing things up has a high price too, a guaranteed 1-2 years of more mediocrity in all likelihood while a new system takes hold. Then we throw it all out again. I just want to believe that blowing it all up is the only choice before doing it. And it should be done after sober and careful analysis, not because we are pi*sed at some losses.

Again, you're making the same point as the "transitive, common opponents" thing I'm saying is ridiculous. You could've said the same thing about two of the three Jauron teams (not so much '07) when our point differential was basically the same as it is now. This season is nothing new. That's just a fact - no pessimism required.

Again, you're making the same point as the "transitive, common opponents" thing I'm saying is ridiculous. You could've said the same thing about two of the three Jauron teams (not so much '07) when our point differential was basically the same as it is now. This season is nothing new. That's just a fact - no pessimism required.

If you think it is ridiculous, fine. But it is a very standard way of analyzing things in sports, e.g. horse racing. And you can say the season is nothing new, but there are six games left and I believe the team still has an opportunity to show if progress is being made or if it is the same old same old. The next two weeks will tell me alot. If they fold, then my conclusion will be the same as yours. They get off the mat and win the next two, I'm willing to reserve judgment until the end of the season. That's just a fact, no optimism required.

Hey, until we get that 7th loss....there's always a shot. Although being on the losing side of every AFC tie breaker scenario...they realistically need to rip off 6 straight wins to get in.

True! I'll keep looking at possibilities until I see loss 7

you are what your record says you are

the bills are the 12th seed out of 16 AFC teams.

that's bad.

Being 12th out of 16 teams means nothing. Your post contradicts itself. You are what your record says you are? Well then they are average not bad and that is what most of us expected at the start of the season.

I took a few days to think about the Miami loss as it stung and I came to a very similar realization as Casey did. This team isn't terrible. The coaches aren't terrible. Could both be better of course but look at this team and what it has done. This team has no wtf loss this year. They have taken care of the games they were supposed to win and every single loss is against a team above .500. The Bills have also played the 7th hardest schedule to date. They have played the 3rd hardest in the AFC and toughest in the AFC East. So many posters expected 6-9 wins this year, a total that is not out of reach, and yet people are ready to blow everything up. 2 losses in 4 days stings but those 2 losses were to a Chiefs team that is playing excellent football and a Dolphins team that has a defense at least as good as ours is lately. Neither of these were bad losses.

The offense is a concern for sure especially with the lack of tds. The Bills have a lot of work to do which everyone knew going into the season. Kyle Freaking Orton is the starting QB on this team. Somehow though 5-5 isn't good enough for most of you. Newsflash the Bills haven't been this competitive in a long time. Save for the Pats* game the team has legitimately been in every single game this year. Teams have bad breaks such as the ones the Bills suffered against KC. KC is a good football team, look at what they just did to the reigning sb champs! Teams have poor offensive performances such as the one Buffalo had against Miami, look at what Denver did this last week against a not as good as Miami Rams team.

Step back from the ledge. For Christ sakes you are Bills fans it has been way worse than this way sooner in the season than this. We're on to the Jets which is a winnable game, one week at a time "realists."

Edited by section122

I said at the beginning of the year I'd be happy with 8-8 as it would show real progress, be our first non losing season and best record since 2004. We're still on pace for it.

I want playoffs and SB as much as anyone on here. But we ain't gonna get there overnight. But it would look like we're on the way there for the first time in a LONG time. And, it would be real progress and jump us over the Jauron line (7-9) and the Gailey line (6-10) for that matter.

I said at the beginning of the year I'd be happy with 8-8 as it would show real progress, be our first non losing season and best record since 2004. We're still on pace for it.

I want playoffs and SB as much as anyone on here. But we ain't gonna get there overnight. But it would look like we're on the way there for the first time in a LONG time. And, it would be real progress and jump us over the Jauron line (7-9) and the Gailey line (6-10) for that matter.

Yup same for me. I wanted 8-8 hoped for 10-6 will not be happy with 6-10. The NFC North and AFC West are 2 of the toughest divisions in football this year and the Bills have to play them both. The combined records of the teams that the Bills have played so far in those divisions is 28-22 and the Bills account for 3 of those losses. That means those teams are playing .596 football against the rest of the NFL and .400 against the Bills. That is impressive for Buffalo imo

And I'm not angry or hysterical. I am a realist. And living in the real world, this team has talent, but they are not playing like a good football team or one that is even close to being good. Good teams do not give away games that they should win and this team has done that 3 times this year. 3 out of the 5 losses were games that they should have won, but managed to lose. If that isn't cause for getting rid of the coaching staff, I don't know what is. It is the coaches job to get the team prepared to win football games. When the team does not respond, even though they have the talent, then that falls on the coaches and they need to be fired. That is my realistic assessment of the situation.

Why do you get to be a realist? Is it because your opinion is the only possible correct one?

I have watched many good teams give away games in the NFL. Did you see the Broncos stink it up against the 3-6 Rams? Did you see the Saints have the 49ers on the ropes only to give up a 50 yard pass with less than minute left then fumble in OT to lose? Did you see the darling 6-4 (so they must be better than the Bills) Browns give the Jags their only win of the year? Did you see the Steelers get run over by the Jets who had lost 8 in a row?

It is the NFL and a week to week league. Anything could happen. Step down from your high horse "realist" and claim your proper title of negative Nancy.

Yup same for me. I wanted 8-8 hoped for 10-6 will not be happy with 6-10. The NFC North and AFC West are 2 of the toughest divisions in football this year and the Bills have to play them both. The combined records of the teams that the Bills have played so far in those divisions is 28-22 and the Bills account for 3 of those losses. That means those teams are playing .596 football against the rest of the NFL and .400 against the Bills. That is impressive for Buffalo imo

Why do you get to be a realist? Is it because your opinion is the only possible correct one?

I have watched many good teams give away games in the NFL. Did you see the Broncos stink it up against the 3-6 Rams? Did you see the Saints have the 49ers on the ropes only to give up a 50 yard pass with less than minute left then fumble in OT to lose? Did you see the darling 6-4 (so they must be better than the Bills) Browns give the Jags their only win of the year? Did you see the Steelers get run over by the Jets who had lost 8 in a row?

It is the NFL and a week to week league. Anything could happen. Step down from your high horse "realist" and claim your proper title of negative Nancy.

Well at least you managed to make me laugh. i wouldn't exactly classify any of those teams that you mentioned as good teams. Look you obviously think that the Bills are a good football team and good for you. Actually I don't disagree if you have actually read my posts. What I'm saying is that the HC and OC are holding them back and you just can't seem to accept that. "negative Nancy'? Really? You're killing me.

Whatever dude. You win. The Bills have overwhelming talent that is waiting to be unleashed once we rid ourselves of the worst coaching staff ever.

Never said that. I don't believe that they have "overwhelming talent". I do believe that they have enough talent to win if they weren't being poorly coached. Sorry if you don't agree, but it's just my opinion. If you have a different one, then great. Yours is worth as much as mine. I just don't happen to agree with you and I don't really mind if you don't agree with me.