At their peek....who was better?

OnTheRocks

Who is/was the better WR?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is/was the better WR?

• Andre Reed
    • Eric Moulds

I know that Reed had a HOF career.  But was Moulds better at his peek, (if in fact he has passed his peek) than Andre?

225167[/snapback]

It depends on your definition of "better".

Is Moulds a better athlete? Yes

Is Moulds a better team player? Yes

Does Moulds have better hands? No

Does Moulds command more respect from Defenses? Tie

Is Moulds tougher? No

Too close to call really, but I voted for Moulds simply because he has put up probowl numbers year in and year out without a great QB tossing him the ball and without a consistent No 2 receiver by his side.

Reed had Kelly, Lofton, and Thomas. Who has Moulds had?

Reed.  He had a competitive streak I don't always see in Moulds.  Part of that may just have been that Andre had a quarterback who was always willing to get in his face.

225169[/snapback]

I am in total agreement with you on this one, BRH! Moulds may be a better athlete, but he is not a better football player than Reed. For all of those who say, yeah, but Reed had Kelly, Lofton, Thomas, etc etc are missing part of the picture. The guys that you say Reed benefited from, benefited from Reed as well... How many clutch grabs did Reed have over the years?

Look, I like Moulds a lot, but he is not a better player than Reed was. Maybe, because Reed was a later draft pick, whatever it was, he had as strong a competitive streak as anyone to play for the Bills.

i would say reed, because reed was a terror on those slants across the middle, as well as the deep threat, where as moulds is more of the deep threat. reed would get that quick flare, and get those valuable yards after catch. its almost not fair to compare them, but i would still take reed.

I know that Reed had a HOF career.  But was Moulds better at his peek, (if in fact he has passed his peek) than Andre?

225167[/snapback]

I'm not sure you can answer that question because I'm not convinced that Moulds has peaked. I can say this much: unless my memory is messed up, I certainly don't remember Andre missing a pass, and turning to the ref and calling for a flag while the ball is still in the air.

I'm not sure you can answer that question because I'm not convinced that Moulds has peaked.  I can say this much: unless my memory is messed up, I certainly don't remember Andre missing a pass, and turning to the ref and calling for a flag while the ball is still in the air.

225317[/snapback]

More and more WR's are doing this and it ranks right up there on the annoyance scale with excessive celebrations when gaining a first down.

I can say this much: unless my memory is messed up, I certainly don't remember Andre missing a pass, and turning to the ref and calling for a flag while the ball is still in the air.

225317[/snapback]

Bingo.

I say Reed, but if you switched the teams and eras they played, who knows...

225339[/snapback]

If you switched the teams and the eras they played, who's to say that Eric wouldn't have become Chris Burkett instead? Learning from Reed was a HUGE asset to Moulds' career. And you've got to wonder how Eric would have handled Jimbo screaming in his face for running the wrong route (which has seemed to happen all too often over his career).

I'd be interested to see what Moulds could do with Reed's supporting cast and vice versa.  At the end of the day, Jerry Butler was better than both of them.

225338[/snapback]

What I love about the wall. Talking football, AD, you always nail it. I loved Jerry Butler, and think he was the best WR in my Bills history (I consider that to be 1972-now, old enough to be cognisent of what I was watching). Just imagine if he could have stayed healthy, he and Reed, along with Chris Burkett (and a better coaching staff, not involving Hank Bullough) could have been an amazing trio of receivers for Kelly. I have outed myself as a Knox era fanatic in the past, and was going to post something similar. I would also rank Joe Cribbs just a notch below Thurman Thomas, at #3 on the all-time Bills RB list....again, not old enough to really remember Gilchrist.

If you switched the teams and the eras they played, who's to say that Eric wouldn't have become Chris Burkett instead?  Learning from Reed was a HUGE asset to Moulds' career.  And you've got to wonder how Eric would have handled Jimbo screaming in his face for running the wrong route (which has seemed to happen all too often over his career).

225349[/snapback]

Don't forget, early on, Burkett looked like he had the edge over Reed. The main reason he was cast off from Buffalo, was that Kelly and he disliked eachother immensely. He was cut early in the regular season, if memory serves me, when teams had their rosters set. He landed on the Jets, and had some productive games, on and off. He also had some injury problems. It is always interesting to think about how much talent gets wasted on the bench, never getting an opportunity to play...

Who has Moulds had?

Ummm, Price? Evans?

Who did Reed have until Lofton came onto the scene? Burkett? Yeah...

Both players had great supporting casts and crappy supporting casts. As has been mentioned, Reed never seemed to drop anything and he most definately didn't beg for a flag from the refs. He was a bit of a hothead, but that was his competitiveness.

It's not even close -- Reed was one of the best in the game. There's a reason he was #2 in all-time receptions in the NFL until the pass-happy offenses started giving receivers 100+ receptions a season.

CW

Ummm, Price?  Evans?

Who did Reed have until Lofton came onto the scene?  Burkett?  Yeah...

Both players had great supporting casts and crappy supporting casts. 

225373[/snapback]

So Moulds had good No. 2s for a mere 2 years of his career, that makes his cast equal to Reed's? :D Reed had a much longer stretch with great people around him. Moulds has never had that.

Moulds has NEVER had a QB like Kelly (in his prime) with an HOF running back and another HOF WR. You cannot possibly compair their supporting cast because Reed's dominated anything Moulds has had.

But is Moulds better? Who knows.

There's no question Moulds is a better athlete, but like I said earlier, it depends what your definition of "better" is.