Orton Not the Answer

That's certainly an option. To keep playing EJ. I'd argue that EJ is developing more by sitting and observing than getting thrown to the wolves week in and week out.

As it stands now, Orton (IMO) is the best we've got by a mile and we ride it out.

I strongly agree. The best quarterback play we have seen out of EJ has been over the last 4 weeks or so. He hasn't lost us a game in a while.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's certainly an option. To keep playing EJ. I'd argue that EJ is developing more by sitting and observing than getting thrown to the wolves week in and week out.

As it stands now, Orton (IMO) is the best we've got by a mile and we ride it out.

When you put it that way, it makes sense, but will our record at the end of the season be that much different? I dont think it will whether we start KO or EJ. So thats my point. Start the kid and end up 7-9 or start Orton and be 8-8?

I strongly agree. The best quarterback play we have seen out of EJ has been over the last 4 weeks or so. He hasn't lost us a game in a while.

Haha.

It's a crappy situation. Buffalo should be 7-2 or 6-3 at worst. Now we've got a huge hill to climb. It sucks. But EJ all but guarantees we crap out and go 6-10 again. With Orton we at least have a chance (albeit a small one) to make the playoffs.

Whatever happens, I think it's an open competition in the offseason and may the best QB win. Hopefully we bring in another QB to compete.

Haha.

It's a crappy situation. Buffalo should be 7-2 or 6-3 at worst. Now we've got a huge hill to climb. It sucks. But EJ all but guarantees we crap out and go 6-10 again. With Orton we at least have a chance (albeit a small one) to make the playoffs.

Whatever happens, I think it's an open competition in the offseason and may the best QB win. Hopefully we bring in another QB to compete.

Question why you say that Orton gives them a better chance to win. How many points per game were the Bills averaging eith Manuel playing vs their points per game under Orton? Take out the Jets' implosion and it is pretty darned close - 12 game starter vs 9 year vet.

How foolish does WGR's discussion about giving Orton an extension look?

Question why you say that Orton gives them a better chance to win. How many points per game were the Bills averaging eith Manuel playing vs their points per game under Orton? Take out the Jets' implosion and it is pretty darned close - 12 game starter vs 9 year vet.

How foolish does WGR's discussion about giving Orton an extension look?

First, you can't take out games to make an argument. It is what it is. Second, EJ just doesn't get it yet. Not to say he won't, but the kid doesn't grasp the NFL game yet. I hope he learns, but Kyle sees the field, can make pre snap reads, and can make throws.

First, you can't take out games to make an argument. It is what it is. Second, EJ just doesn't get it yet. Not to say he won't, but the kid doesn't grasp the NFL game yet. I hope he learns, but Kyle sees the field, can make pre snap reads, and can make throws.

...and score 13 points at home in a must-win game. ...and score 17 lousy points at home against a weak Minnesota team.

Let's not pretend that they were t extremely lucky to beat Detroit and VERY lucky to pull out a win Vs Minn. in both cases, the defense won the game

Did anyone think Orton was really gonna take us anywhere? And theres a thread for this b/c he missed the throws.

Now that "experiment"was a real fun couple of weeks but can we please get back to the kids development now?

Unfortunately, many thought Orton was good. He's a mediocre journeyman. A decent back up. This team is NOT going to the playoffs. EJ might not be the answer but we need to get a longer look to know for sure.

...and score 13 points at home in a must-win game. ...and score 17 lousy points at home against a weak Minnesota team.

Let's not pretend that they were t extremely lucky to beat Detroit and VERY lucky to pull out a win Vs Minn. in both cases, the defense won the game

Again, not saying he's the second coming of Joe Montana. He's just the best we've got.

Unfortunately, many thought Orton was good. He's a mediocre journeyman. A decent back up. This team is NOT going to the playoffs. EJ might not be the answer but we need to get a longer look to know for sure.

He's decent. In the NFL this is what a decent QB does. Gives you good games and a few bad ones. Most QBs in the league are like this. Many have won superbowls. Eli, Alex Smith, Flacco, Cutler, Palmer, Dalton. All decent. Some good games, some bad ones.

When you put it that way, it makes sense, but will our record at the end of the season be that much different? I dont think it will whether we start KO or EJ. So thats my point. Start the kid and end up 7-9 or start Orton and be 8-8?

If EJ isn't throwing the ball accurately in practice--and by all accounts he hasn't been, at last as of a few weeks ago--what do you hope to discover by playing him in games? It's not as though he's going to start lighting things up when it matters if he can't get it done in practice.

On the other hand, maybe you'd like to see him out there in hopes of accelerating his development. My counterexample to that is Carson Palmer. When Palmer was a rookie, Marvin Lewis decided to make him the third string quarterback. Jon Kitna--a reasonably good veteran QB--was the starter. At the beginning of his rookie year, Palmer made lots of inaccurate throws in practice. As the year progressed, he became steadily better. By the end of his rookie year, he was starting to show serious signs of being better than Kitna.

EJ Manuel has been given every opportunity Palmer had as a rookie. In addition, he's also been given the opportunities that come with being the starter for training camp and the offseason--for two years running. The Bills gain nothing by showering him with yet more snaps not earned by his college play or NFL play.

All I can say is this: lose to Miami, and you really might as well go back to EJ. It'll be over for 2014, and EJ still has youth on his side. That's how devastating this loss was to our playoff chances.

I knew EJ had to sit after the Texans game, but that said I also know Orton is not any kind of real solution -- his lack of mobility is just too great a weakness. IMO he's the most immobile QB in the league. I wouldn't mind seeing EJ come back and see what he has after being able to sit and watch. This offense is still not scoring enough points, and red zone is atrocious. I dont see that theres much to lose giving him another chance

Orton might not be an answer, but with that being said manuel will never be the answer. He had more chances to perform than any bust that ever hit the field.

You say this in comparison to Orton? Have a look at Orton's first few year's in the league as a starter... His stats werent even as good as Manuel's.

Now, to be clear I don't know if Manuel will ever become a good starting QB, but at least he *might*. Orton, on the other hand, is not going to suddenly improve after 9 years in the NFL.

I am not suggesting that they bench Orton quite yet, but once this team falls out of playoff contention then unless Manuel has looked horrible in practice, he should get another shot.