The London Series and the European Expansion

Coach55

I had sent the below email to one of the NFL owners, just wonder what the forum thinks (I cut and pasted this, sans the opening and closing, so please excuse some of the commentary):

I was listening to the radio last week and they were talking about how the NFL is continuing its European push by extending the London Series. They were talking about how this is difficult on the teams that play there, as one team loses a home game and the time difference becomes problematic. In addition, the owners have been pushing to move the season to 18 games and shorten the pre-season. I have an idea that may be worth a few thoughts (if it hasn't come up in the owner’s meetings). I may have told you this years ago, but have expanded on the idea as it now has a long term global expansion plan.

Basic proposal – starting in 2015, rather than having the London series and have teams sacrifice a home game, make the series a European series. Every team in the NFL will play a 17th regular season game at a neutral site in Paris, London, Berlin, Madrid or Rome. This will result in 16 total European games in exchange for 1 week of the preseason. Such games will be played over a 10 week period (weeks 3-12), where each team would be on a bye the following week to compensate for the additional travel time. Each European city would host 3 games a season, with an additional floater that can be used in one of the 5 proposed cities or a random 6th city. This plan would run for 5 years.

In 2020, if the above European series is successful, at that time, the league would expand to a 40 team roster with franchises in the above 5 cities, as well as Los Angeles, Portland/Vancouver and either Austin/San Antonio or San Jose. This would result in 8 divisions of 5, adding the European division. I have laid out a proposed geographic realignment attached (I have inserted the European division in the AFC to keep the NFC clean for all of the old purists). Indianapolis would return to the NFC and I have also moved Houston as they are a young franchise.

The season would then return to a 16 game season, where each team plays 8 games inside its division and 1 NFC division and 1 AFC division. At most a team would have to travel to Europe twice in a season for away games, this would make it difficult for teams in the West, but this would be compensated with bye week timing. Note the European teams would have to cross the pond 4 times each. An alternative would be to exchange the NFC East for the AFC West and play all 16 games intra-conference to reduce travel time, however this would be tough to swallow for the NFC purists. Playoffs would expand to 7 or 8 teams per conference, pending if you want to give a bye to the best conference team.

The end result of this plan, if it works, would be an NFL expansion into 5 very large European markets, expansion into LA without an existing city losing a franchise and 2 new up and coming markets getting teams. The ad revenue should skyrocket from the TV revenue from the European exposure. If the series is not successful, you just revert to a 16 game season without the expansion in 2020. Either way, the I would have to think that a 17th European game would have to be more profitable than a 4th preseason game.

Edited by Coach55

It appears that the attachment didn't come through. Below is the proposed Realignment:

AFC

Europe - Paris, London, Berlin, Madrid, Rome

East - Buffalo, Miami, New England*, NYJ, Jax (from AFC S)

Cent - Clev, Pitt, Cinc, Balt, Ten (from AFC S)

West - Den, SD, KC, Oak and Portland (new)

NFC

East - NYG, Wash, Dallas, Phi, Car (from NFC S)

North - Det, GB, Chic, Minn, Indy (from AFC S)

South - Hou (from AFC S), NO, Tampa, Atl and Austin/San Antonio (possible new) or St Louis (swing team)

West - Sea, SF, Ariz, LA (new) and San Jose (possible new) or St Lous

Do you know an owner or was this just a "cold call"?

I know 2

It appears that the attachment didn't come through. Below is the proposed Realignment:

AFC

Europe - Paris, London, Berlin, Madrid, Rome

East - Buffalo, Miami, New England*, NYJ, Jax (from AFC S)

Cent - Clev, Pitt, Cinc, Balt, Ten (from AFC S)

West - Den, SD, KC, Oak and Portland (new)

NFC

East - NYG, Wash, Dallas, Phi, Car (from NFC S)

North - Det, GB, Chic, Minn, Indy (from AFC S)

South - Hou (from AFC S), NO, Tampa, Atl and Austin/San Antonio (possible new) or St Louis (swing team)

West - Sea, SF, Ariz, LA (new) and San Jose (possible new) or St Lous

I know 2

eh, avez-vous "Chicken Wings"?

CHICKEN-WINGS?!

...well, the hell with that. I am not even going to ask this beret wearing bozo whether they have Beef on Wick.

The other issue is outside of the UK and Germany I'm not sure anywhere else has the interest to sustain it. The Netherlands maybe, but it's a tiny country and you wouldn't replace soccer there any more than you would in Germany and the UK.... they just have populations over 4 times the size and hence can better absorb "newer" sports better.

I had sent the below email to one of the NFL owners, just wonder what the forum thinks (I cut and pasted this, sans the opening and closing, so please excuse some of the commentary):

I was listening to the radio last week and they were talking about how the NFL is continuing its European push by extending the London Series. They were talking about how this is difficult on the teams that play there, as one team loses a home game and the time difference becomes problematic. In addition, the owners have been pushing to move the season to 18 games and shorten the pre-season. I have an idea that may be worth a few thoughts (if it hasn't come up in the owner’s meetings). I may have told you this years ago, but have expanded on the idea as it now has a long term global expansion plan.

Basic proposal – starting in 2015, rather than having the London series and have teams sacrifice a home game, make the series a European series. Every team in the NFL will play a 17th regular season game at a neutral site in Paris, London, Berlin, Madrid or Rome. This will result in 16 total European games in exchange for 1 week of the preseason. Such games will be played over a 10 week period (weeks 3-12), where each team would be on a bye the following week to compensate for the additional travel time. Each European city would host 3 games a season, with an additional floater that can be used in one of the 5 proposed cities or a random 6th city. This plan would run for 5 years.

In 2020, if the above European series is successful, at that time, the league would expand to a 40 team roster with franchises in the above 5 cities, as well as Los Angeles, Portland/Vancouver and either Austin/San Antonio or San Jose. This would result in 8 divisions of 5, adding the European division. I have laid out a proposed geographic realignment attached (I have inserted the European division in the AFC to keep the NFC clean for all of the old purists). Indianapolis would return to the NFC and I have also moved Houston as they are a young franchise.

The season would then return to a 16 game season, where each team plays 8 games inside its division and 1 NFC division and 1 AFC division. At most a team would have to travel to Europe twice in a season for away games, this would make it difficult for teams in the West, but this would be compensated with bye week timing. Note the European teams would have to cross the pond 4 times each. An alternative would be to exchange the NFC East for the AFC West and play all 16 games intra-conference to reduce travel time, however this would be tough to swallow for the NFC purists. Playoffs would expand to 7 or 8 teams per conference, pending if you want to give a bye to the best conference team.

The end result of this plan, if it works, would be an NFL expansion into 5 very large European markets, expansion into LA without an existing city losing a franchise and 2 new up and coming markets getting teams. The ad revenue should skyrocket from the TV revenue from the European exposure. If the series is not successful, you just revert to a 16 game season without the expansion in 2020. Either way, the I would have to think that a 17th European game would have to be more profitable than a 4th preseason game.

While I agree that your plan makes more sense than I thought it would logistically, I guess my question to you would be, why do you want the NFL in Europe? How exactly would that enhance your experience as an NFL fan? As others stated, I think the rosters are saturated enough as it is with 32 teams and you add to that the fact that less and less kids are playing football- that trend is only going to perpetuate itself. Plus as a player, how much would that suck if you got drafted to the Berlin team? Great city but would be kind of a pain in the ass from a travel/family standpoint.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Sorry, I am against expanding outside of North America for the reason that it will lead to excessive travel for the players and a very convoluted league setup that would make the playoffs hellacious for road teams.

I'd rather have separate leagues per country or small block of countries, much like soccer and basketball have in place around the world. That way, we could end up with American champs and a separate international playoff series.