Best Hot Dog

hot dog  

65 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favorite hot dog

Anyone that doesn't vote for Sahlens, has never had a Teds hot dog. And that is a shame.

:thumbsup:

Wardynskis is pretty close to Sahlems if you ask me. Both are pretty good. On a side note you ever look into a hot dog & think to yourself "what the f*ck am I eating?"

All the yummy parts :D

Hoffman's changed something recently. I had my sister bring some out to me recently when she visited and they weren't close to what I remember. I had them about 5 years ago before this time and they were great. Not sure what's different.

you moved away

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you moved away

I moved away a long time ago, and Hoffman's Hot Dogs have always been one of the things I get when I go back home or have people bring me when they visit. This was the first time I was disappointed. I mentioned it to my mother at the time and she said she's noticed a difference the past few times she's had them too (she gets back to NY more than I do).

It could be my imagination, but I don't think so.

It's funny, growing up in Rochester, white hots seemed very normal. Every time we went shopping for hot dogs, we had to make the critical decision of red hots or white hots. It was only until after I moved away did I realize that white hots are really only a Rochester thing.

found that out too years ago. Also discovered that you can order them to be shipped frozen to your home.

now that I'm in NoVA there are Wegmans all over the place.

the small things you miss but found once again

Zweigle's, Grandma Browns Baked Beans, and Boss Sauce.

my family swore by tobin's white hots growing up. i remeber them fondly. still available?

i stumbled into these http://www.applegate...ef-hot-dog-16oz in the going out of date bin in a local supermarket. i guess organic hotdogs seems oxymoronic but they were damn good.

Just had those for the first time a couple weeks ago. They taste different enough that at first I didn't think I'd want anymore, but I ended up liking them a lot. Will buy more, especially for my son who really likes them.

my family swore by tobin's white hots growing up. i remeber them fondly. still available?

i stumbled into these http://www.applegate...ef-hot-dog-16oz in the going out of date bin in a local supermarket. i guess organic hotdogs seems oxymoronic but they were damn good.

kangaroo meat will do that here in the states

found that out too years ago. Also discovered that you can order them to be shipped frozen to your home.

now that I'm in NoVA there are Wegmans all over the place.

the small things you miss but found once again

Zweigle's, Grandma Browns Baked Beans, and Boss Sauce.

Boss Sauce too-- took that for granted!

Can't say I'm a hot dog fanatic. But when I do have a hankering for a dog, I want a Sahlen cooked over charcoal the way Ted's does it. But they have to be the right Sahlen dog. I bought some down here in Florida and they weren't the natural casing. They were OK, but not what I was looking for.

I see Hebrew National has a lot of fans here. I will say, for an all-beef hot dog, they are pretty good. But I like some pork in my hot dog.

Nathan's are pretty bad. Probably should have had Sabrett's on the list. They aren't bad for a "dirty-water" hot dog.

Can't say I'm a hot dog fanatic. But when I do have a hankering for a dog, I want a Sahlen cooked over charcoal the way Ted's does it. But they have to be the right Sahlen dog. I bought some down here in Florida and they weren't the natural casing. They were OK, but not what I was looking for.

I see Hebrew National has a lot of fans here. I will say, for an all-beef hot dog, they are pretty good. But I like some pork in my hot dog.

Nathan's are pretty bad. Probably should have had Sabrett's on the list. They aren't bad for a "dirty-water" hot dog.

The Nathans I eat are pretty good, chilli n cheese , Sunoco A+ :thumbsup:

That's awesome but can you get them in the USA?

I moved away a long time ago, and Hoffman's Hot Dogs have always been one of the things I get when I go back home or have people bring me when they visit. This was the first time I was disappointed. I mentioned it to my mother at the time and she said she's noticed a difference the past few times she's had them too (she gets back to NY more than I do).

It could be my imagination, but I don't think so.

hard to say.

I've noticed that the steaks that I get from certain restaurants have gone down in flavor, texture and tenderness. Very disappointing for a guy who loves steak :(<_<:angry:

The Nathans I eat are pretty good, chilli n cheese , Sunoco A+ :thumbsup:

That's awesome but can you get them in the USA?

hard to say.

I've noticed that the steaks that I get from certain restaurants have gone down in flavor, texture and tenderness. Very disappointing for a guy who loves steak :(<_<:angry:

yes. i bought them in virginia. it's an american company. i suspect most of their meat comes from the midwestern states mentioned and some comes from australia or uraguay.

I've seen the Applegate dogs, but have never tried them. In general though, the Appelgate stuff is pretty darn good.

One of the things I should have mentioned is, I typically eat my hot dogs with no condiments at all. Just the dog in the bun. So, the flavor of the dog itself is very important to me. We have a local hot dog place here that make pretty bad dogs, to be honest. But with bacon and cheese sauce (we Niagara Falls folks know these as a Whistle Pig), they taste just fine. Another way I have found to enjoy a mediocre dog is to have it deep fried. I'd choose a charcoal grilled Sahlen, but deep fried is a way to make a bad dog taste OK, IMO.

And yes, the quality of steaks in many restaurants has declined. Burgers, too, I've found. Makes me appreciate a good one all the more.

And yes, the quality of steaks in many restaurants has declined. Burgers, too, I've found. Makes me appreciate a good one all the more.

makes me wonder why?

I think Obama should do something useful for once and sign an executive order to get to the bottom of this!

know any good steak houses?

yes. i bought them in virginia. it's an american company. i suspect most of their meat comes from the midwestern states mentioned and some comes from australia or uraguay.

makes me wonder why?

I think Obama should do something useful for once and sign an executive order to get to the bottom of this!

know any good steak houses?

There are a couple decent local places with reasonable prices, actually. Of the chains, I had a good steak recently at the Capital Grille. Last time I had a steak at Morton's I was disappointed, especially considering the price.

It may seem crazy, but I find good Italian restaurants have consistently good steak. Maybe it's just the Italian restaurants I go to, but i don't think so. Plus if I can get a side of gnocchi, instead of fries or a baked potato, that's a real bonus. (Nothing against baked potatoes. Made one last night with a really nice pork chop.)

But if beef is getting worse, it seems pork is on the upswing, IMO. And I love me some pork.

THIS thread has morphed! But since I've already commented on hot dogs, I'm allowed to chime in on steaks. Dean, the last time I had a TRULY memorable steak was in Pisa (yes, THAT Pisa) about 22 years ago. And MAN. That was for-the-ages. I can't tell you what was different - and, no, it wasn't the ambiance. But it was not something from Texas, or Kansas City.

There are a couple decent local places with reasonable prices, actually. Of the chains, I had a good steak recently at the Capital Grille. Last time I had a steak at Morton's I was disappointed, especially considering the price.

It may seem crazy, but I find good Italian restaurants have consistently good steak. Maybe it's just the Italian restaurants I go to, but i don't think so. Plus if I can get a side of gnocchi, instead of fries or a baked potato, that's a real bonus. (Nothing against baked potatoes. Made one last night with a really nice pork chop.)

But if beef is getting worse, it seems pork is on the upswing, IMO. And I love me some pork.

Will look it up,

I had the best steak ever 5ish yrs ago at EB Greens and then I went back a couple of yrs later and it was good and then this summer it was barely OK and for the price NOT WORTH IT, but the burger appetizer was great .

I just think that they aren't feeding the cows good food.

I'm not a pork fan so I'm out of luck.

THIS thread has morphed! But since I've already commented on hot dogs, I'm allowed to chime in on steaks. Dean, the last time I had a TRULY memorable steak was in Pisa (yes, THAT Pisa) about 22 years ago. And MAN. That was for-the-ages. I can't tell you what was different - and, no, it wasn't the ambiance. But it was not something from Texas, or Kansas City.

I'm jealous. Yes, the Italians are very serious about their meat and I don't think they are using the hormones and such used by the big commercial producers in the USA.

Will look it up,

I had the best steak ever 5ish yrs ago at EB Greens and then I went back a couple of yrs later and it was good and then this summer it was barely OK and for the price NOT WORTH IT, but the burger appetizer was great .

I just think that they aren't feeding the cows good food.

I'm not a pork fan so I'm out of luck.

Well, to further hijack this thread, I will also note chicken thighs seem to have really improved. I prefer to cook my meat bone-in and with chicken skin-on. I recall getting a lot of pretty bad chicken thighs years ago and basically stopped buying them. I'd have no problem with the thighs on a roaster, but the parts just seemed to be sub par. But man oh man, I'm having great luck with chicken thighs these days. So, if you dig chicken, you may find these are on the upswing.

Maybe Chef or or man in the field (literally) boyst can chime in on this. My experience might not reflect what's going on generally.