Best Hot Dog

hot dog  

65 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favorite hot dog

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best steak ever is Peter Lugers in Brooklyn. Absolutely amazing. Don't ask for a menu. Just order "steak for xx" punt of people in the group. Don't forget to order the Bacon as it's a meal on its own. Oh, and don't bother bringing your credit card because they only accept cash or their own Credit Card. Oh, and if your planning on going there, you at want to make reservations about 4 weeks early.

Onto the topic. Because of this thread I've decided to grill Bacon Wrapped Cheddar Dogs made with thick cut bacon, Vermont Sharp Cheddar and Sahlens hot dogs for the tailgate tomorrow.

Breakfast Sandwiches for the morning with everything bagels with over easy egg and cheese with maple bacon.

Can't wait.

Edited by mrags

Best steak ever is Peter Lugers in Brooklyn. Absolutely amazing. Don't ask for a menu. Just order "steak for xx" punt of people in the group. Don't forget to order the Bacon as it's a meal on its own. Oh, and don't bother bringing your credit card because they only accept cash or their own Credit Card. Oh, and if your planning on going there, you at want to make reservations about 4 weeks early.

Onto the topic. Because of this thread I've decided to grill Bacon Wrapped Cheddar Dogs made with thick cut bacon, Vermont Sharp Cheddar and Sahlens hot dogs for the tailgate tomorrow.

Breakfast Sandwiches for the morning with everything bagels with over easy egg and cheese with maple bacon.

Can't wait.

sounds awesome.

Have heard of Lugers a lot on the food, going to check it out some day. Also want to try Meat and Potatoes in Pittsburgh, made the top steakhouse show after being open for 3 years.

Here's the deal in my mind Dean, and I am just the opposite of you.

Most chicken and pork is now "enhanced" with a sodium solution, as Americans consistently wanted leaner and leaner meats. No fat, no juiciness and no taste. And it will say enhanced on the label. The stuff that you though was horrible earlier was the leaner stuff, but not enhanced. Even enhanced is Still not near as good as the pork and chicken we grew up on.

So, now I consistently will buy only natural pork, and when I splurge, Heritage pork. Naturally fattier, no sodium concoction injected. May need to brine some cuts, but well worth it.

For chicken, I now only buy " air chilled" chickens. Whole Foods has whole chicken and parts, and while pricey, worth every penny. I must add I never cook chicken without at least a 30 minute brine.

Edited by plenzmd1

Nothing beats a Lugers Steak my friend. NOTHING!!!

I had a great steak at Lugars many years ago. I wonder why they are taking a hit among some of the snobby foodie reviews lately. It is said the quality of their meat has declined and the service---well the service has always been sort of purposefully (I think) curt.

This snobby food reviewer wrote an article simply (it seems) to bash another reviewer for calling Peter Luger's the #3 steakhouse in the USA. Still, if I had the opportunity to go to Luger, I'd jump at the chance.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/07/11/americas-20-best-steakhouses-new-rankings-today/

Here's the deal in my mind Dean, and I am just the opposite of you.

Most chicken and pork is now "enhanced" with a sodium solution, as Americans consistently wanted leaner and leaner meats. No fat, no juiciness and no taste. And it will say enhanced on the label. The stuff for earlier was the leaner stuff, but not enhanced. Still not as good as the pork and chicken we grew up on.

So, now I consistently will buy only natural pork, and whn I spluge Heritage pork. Natural fat, no sodium concoction injected. May need to brine some cuts, but well worth it.

For chicken, I now only buy " air chilled" chickens. Whole Foods has whole and parts, and while priced, worth every penny. I must add I never cook chicken without at least a 30 minute brine.

It's funny, because I know that enhancing of poultry and pork was becoming a regular practice, and I always avoided buying that stuff if I could. But I'm seeing more and more hormone free, very natural chicken and pork the past few years. If I'm in a grocery store, I tend to buy the heritage/organic stuff. But I find I don't need to much of the time because the basic product sold is so good in the places I shop. For those in the Jacksonville (or Orlando) area, I highly recommend Freshfields Farms. The meat quality is fantastic and it is also about the same price (or even less) than the supermarket.

http://www.freshfieldsfarm.com/meats/

I also have a little local market that has a fine meat and cheese dept (but otherwise is a horrid little market). They also are very competitive in price with the big markets.

So I guess I'm a bit choosy about where I buy my meat, but I've always been choosy about where I buy my meat. (When I lived on Long Island I bought chicken directly from a small chicken farm. In SF I used a couple of excellent butchers, for example.) Still I'm noticing an improvement in the quality of chicken and pork.