Foles: GM "Soured" On QB Before Injury

BigBuff423

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Eagles GM "soured" on Nick Foles prior to his injury and said, "The organization isn't sold that he's the guy going forward. Let's just say the way things were going, he wasn't going to get a contract extension that's for sure". The report went on to say that next year Foles will be entering his final season in his Rookie contract from 2012.

This is *NOT*, and I repeat *NOT*, intended to be a hijacked thread about how "EJ sucks", but rather an evaluation of improving a very important position, regardless of who mans the QB position unless it were someone of Luck, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning ilk. Would you be opposed or for the acquisition of Foles, assuming the report on the GM's "soured" take is true? If the Eagles were willing to trade Foles, what Draft pick and / or player would you give? If he was strictly a FA because of being cut after the season, would want to sign him and how much money would you be prepared to extend to him?

Personally, assuming the Eagles didn't require more than a 4th round selection, I would certainly trade for him regardless. If he was a FA, I would be prepared to give him good to decent money, in the $10-12 million per year range for 4 to 5 years. To me, Foles is a very good QB that could be fantastic and it would certainly answer the QB position for quite some time.

Please understand, I'm not suggesting the Eagles will trade him or that they will cut him, or that if they did trade him they would accept compensation in the form of a 4th Round pick. The point of this post, is that according to some real reporting, the Eagles GM may have already moved on from Foles and I send it out into the TBD cyber-sphere to discuss if he is a QB us fans would like to see in a BILLS uniform, and if so what price or compensation would you be willing to give in order to obtain his services at Quarterback.....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The immediate reaction to everything is funny. You struggle one game, you suck. Erase everything that happened prior.

And let's switch Foles and EJ. Who is more likely to be a better player - Foles with Hackett or EJ with Kelly? Kelly runs about as QB friendly of an offense as there is in the league. When he says he needs players to fit his system, you listen because he has a great track record of offensive success. We lack that on our coaching staff.

To fully evaluate any offensive player right now is silly. The entire offense has regressed.

i dont know that im diving in with a 50-60m contract for foles today. maybe if it is kaepernick style and you can opt out pretty much any time with no penalty.

disclaimer: ive been leary of jumping on the foles bandwagon for awhile now - last years numbers have no chance of being true long term, meaning we have no idea what he regresses back to. being a midrounder and a guy the GM doesnt love makes me worry that floor could be lower than most think.

Edited by NoSaint

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Eagles GM "soured" on Nick Foles prior to his injury and said, "The organization isn't sold that he's the guy going forward. Let's just say the way things were going, he wasn't going to get a contract extension that's for sure". The report went on to say that next year Foles will be entering his final season in his Rookie contract from 2012.

This is *NOT*, and I repeat *NOT*, intended to be a hijacked thread about how "EJ sucks", but rather an evaluation of improving a very important position, regardless of who mans the QB position unless it were someone of Luck, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning ilk. Would you be opposed or for the acquisition of Foles, assuming the report on the GM's "soured" take is true? If the Eagles were willing to trade Foles, what Draft pick and / or player would you give? If he was strictly a FA because of being cut after the season, would want to sign him and how much money would you be prepared to extend to him?

Personally, assuming the Eagles didn't require more than a 4th round selection, I would certainly trade for him regardless. If he was a FA, I would be prepared to give him good to decent money, in the $10-12 million per year range for 4 to 5 years. To me, Foles is a very good QB that could be fantastic and it would certainly answer the QB position for quite some time.

Please understand, I'm not suggesting the Eagles will trade him or that they will cut him, or that if they did trade him they would accept compensation in the form of a 4th Round pick. The point of this post, is that according to some real reporting, the Eagles GM may have already moved on from Foles and I send it out into the TBD cyber-sphere to discuss if he is a QB us fans would like to see in a BILLS uniform, and if so what price or compensation would you be willing to give in order to obtain his services at Quarterback.....

No way he's worthy of anywhere near that kind of money because he's an unproven commodity. If you have watched the Eagles at all this year, you know that Foles has been bad. Sanchez has a fair chance to remain the starting QB after Foles recovers from his injury.

No way he's worthy of anywhere near that kind of money because he's an unproven commodity. If you have watched the Eagles at all this year, you know that Foles has been bad. Sanchez has a fair chance to remain the starting QB after Foles recovers from his injury.

And Sanchez was awful before. Chip Kelly is a beast. I completely underrated him.

It's just crazy how short of a leash some guys get. We can thank Luck and Wilson for that... they both had some immediate successes, which is NOT the norm, and now, unless you put up top 5 numbers right away, consistently, you suck.

Why don't QBs get time to develop anymore?

It's just crazy how short of a leash some guys get. We can thank Luck and Wilson for that... they both had some immediate successes, which is NOT the norm, and now, unless you put up top 5 numbers right away, consistently, you suck.

Why don't QBs get time to develop anymore?

I kinda agree. NFL is mimicking current society: zero attention span; zero patience.

And Sanchez was awful before. Chip Kelly is a beast. I completely underrated him.

Kelly's offense is kind of less dependent on great QB play than others. Sanchez's issue always seemed to be making the critical mistake. I think if he is put in the position to do what he does well, he will be successful there. He was pretty good in NJ until they changed OCs and the Tebow circus came to town, etc.

Kelly's offense is kind of less dependent on great QB play than others. Sanchez's issue always seemed to be making the critical mistake. I think if he is put in the position to do what he does well, he will be successful there. He was pretty good in NJ until they changed OCs and the Tebow circus came to town, etc.

The TEAM was pretty good. http://www.nfl.com/player/marksanchez/79858/profile EJ sucks to some Bills fans and he had 6 tds and 3 ints. Sanchez went to a title game completing 53% of his pass with 12 tds and 20 ints.

I think Sanchez will do well. But it's why it's dumb to make rash decisions on young QBs and why coaching matters so much. Put your players in good situations and not try to force them into "your system."

I don't think that teams are necessarily souring on guys quicker; they are just privied to so much more information that they can make decisions sooner. Between the evolution of analytics and technology the coaches and personnel people are given much more information on a player. They are giving these guys as long as they need to make a determination. It was 14 games in EJ's case, maybe 25 in Foles case, Ponder 25, Gabbert 25, 35 for Locker, 20 in Geno's, etc... Whatever the numbers are it really doesn't matter (I just made up the numbers above). As soon as they believe that a certain guy isn't the answer (at least yet) they are pulling the plug. There is no more "working through your issues." Job security is certainly a factor there but for the most part they have been right. The information is dictating that.

Edited by Kirby Jackson