Thoughts on who will coach Jets in 2015

College football is not equal to pro football.

I watch a ton of SEC football being in SEC country and he consistently moves the ball on everyone.

Great, he can move the ball. How about stopping another team from moving it?

It isn't like his team is moving the ball on Illinois (and I'm an Ohio State fan) they are moving it on pro talent. His teams do it with pace, formation and scheme.

If by formation and scheme you mean putting 12 men on the field ...

What he coaches is what is currently working in the NFL. Malzahn is a better version of Chip Kelly IMO. He isn't going to come cheap (at all) if he ever decides to make the leap.

First, I realize Chip Kelly has become the new NFL "sensation". But the guy hasn't won anything yet. How about we wait another 2-3 years and see how he is doing then.

I will give Kelly this: he has stated multiple times he adjusts his offense to the players he has.

Just because an NFL team is willing to throw big money at a hot college coach does not mean said hot college coach will amount to squat in the NFL.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College football is not equal to pro football.

Great, he can move the ball. How about stopping another team from moving it?

If by formation and scheme you mean putting 12 men on the field ...

First, I realize Chip Kelly has become the new NFL "sensation". But the guy hasn't won anything yet. How about we wait another 2-3 years and see how he is doing then.

I will give Kelly this: he has stated multiple times he adjusts his offense to the players he has.

Just because an NFL team is willing to throw big money at a hot college coach does not mean said hot college coach will amount to squat in the NFL.

The team's having success in the NFL right now are doing so by creating space and mismatches. This is done through pace like New England or Philly and scheme. Malzahn has mastered both. He would have virtually no responsibility for the defense (similar to Kelly).

It's insanity to me that people don't want to see anyone before they have "years of proven production" in the NFL. I get that you don't want Malzahn because you are an Alabama fan. The argument of "what have they done" is weak though. You can project how philosphy will translate just as you can project how skills will translate from players. What Malzahn teaches and does better than anyone in the world is very successful in today's NFL. It's possible that it won't be in 5 years but right now it's absolutely, 100% without a doubt is working. People are bringing up names like Cowher. How many uber conservative, power running teams are near the top of the league? NE? Denver? Arizona? Indy? What makes anyone think that what he does still works? This game moves so fast that you better have the guy that does what works.

I highly doubt that Marrone is gone next year but if he is I want the guy that teaches what's next.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

laney never should have been hired. The fact that he was means Malzahn, who is worlds better IMO, has an NFL job if he wants one.

Great. Some team will offer him a job. That still does not equate into Malzahn being a good to great NFL HC.

He could easily be another Chip Kelly or Jim Harbaugh.

And he could just easily be another Spurrier or Saban.

First, I realize Chip Kelly has become the new NFL "sensation". But the guy hasn't won anything yet.

You mean, other than turning a 4-12 team into a team that did what no Bills team has done in 15 years--made the playoffs? And half way through this year they are leading their division at 6-2. But I guess Chip will be unproven until he wins a Super Bowl or two, right?

Jimbo Fisher, and he's going to draft Jameis Winston.

I don't see Jimbo leaving the college game (FSU) anytime soon, if ever....there's a reason he waited for a lifetime behind Bowden to take over the FSU program...seems to be his dream job, with lots of money and unlimited resources and success....

I don't see Jimbo leaving the college game (FSU) anytime soon, if ever....there's a reason he waited for a lifetime behind Bowden to take over the FSU program...seems to be his dream job, with lots of money and unlimited resources and success....

I was just joking, i don't see that happening ever. Jimbo seems like more of a college coach. No shade to him, but, can't see him wanting to leave.

I was just joking, i don't see that happening ever. Jimbo seems like more of a college coach. No shade to him, but, can't see him wanting to leave.

Yea yea gotcha

The ole college coach jumping to the nfl and bringing his QB with him - kinda like marrone and nassib...errrrr, wait.....

Kevin Arnold. Wore a Jets jacket forever. Witnessed great leadership in his father. And, what could be better for the Jets than bringing back the Wonder Years?

Winnie is super hot now too.

So? Dick Vermeil was out of football for 15 years when he was hired by the Rams.

Can't disagree with that. LeBeau is a phenomenal DC.

And to think, the Bills had him for one year. GW should have kicked Jerry Gray to the curb and kept LeBeau.

There have been numerous "creative college coaches" that have failed in the NFL.

Hackett and Maronne decided they were going to be "creative" when they decided last year to run an uptempo no huddle offense with a rookie QB and 2 rookie WR.

How did that work out?

Um, no thanks. IMHO, he would be a complete disaster at the pro level. He gets away with a ton of BS at the collegiate level.

Fair points but I think we underestimate how the game can change in 10 years. IMO, the majority of the really good NFL coaches are offensive minds or college guys. Cowher was similar to Marty ball. I don't know if that style would work as well.

Personally, I want the young and upcoming head coach. JMO.

The team's having success in the NFL right now are doing so by creating space and mismatches. This is done through pace like New England or Philly and scheme. Malzahn has mastered both. He would have virtually no responsibility for the defense (similar to Kelly).

It's insanity to me that people don't want to see anyone before they have "years of proven production" in the NFL. I get that you don't want Malzahn because you are an Alabama fan. The argument of "what have they done" is weak though. You can project how philosphy will translate just as you can project how skills will translate from players. What Malzahn teaches and does better than anyone in the world is very successful in today's NFL. It's possible that it won't be in 5 years but right now it's absolutely, 100% without a doubt is working. People are bringing up names like Cowher. How many uber conservative, power running teams are near the top of the league? NE? Denver? Arizona? Indy? What makes anyone think that what he does still works? This game moves so fast that you better have the guy that does what works.

I highly doubt that Marrone is gone next year but if he is I want the guy that teaches what's next.

One of the sole reasons as to why Chan Gailey was hired in the first place was that Bill Cowher listed him as his probable OC if hired by the Bills. So I highly doubt Cowher would go with just a smash mouth run game. BTW Cowher got to the playoffs many, many times with absolute scrubs at QB. One of the reasons I think Cowher didn't take the Buffalo job was he stated he needed to have a 100% commitment to winning by the owner, and a decent starting QB. Cowher would have never allowed complete bums on his teams as starters like the Bills have done the last few years.

What I want in the next Bills head coach is a Chuck Knox clone, with his ability to evaluate talent at every position. To be able to know what it takes to build a winning football team in the NFL in every aspect. Cowher fits that to a tee, and he won a power struggle in Pittsburgh with then GM Tom Donahoe.

So many college coaches get hired and need to go thru a period of on the job learning like the current Bills coaches. Not every college coach is a Chip Kelly.

I hope the Jets don't outright hire Jim Harbaugh, Bill Cowher. Or hire a knowledgeable new GM, and then hire Nick Saban, Mike Smith or Jack Del Rio. I want to see them hire more guys like Al Groh, Rich Kotite, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini. It is rumored that the Jets owner loves Rex Ryan, so who knows.