Clowney may be who we thought he was

YoloinOhio

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about Thurman, Jim Kelly, Ronnie Lott, etc. when I was thinking about this thread.

Like you said "only know that the great ones would play the game for nothing because they love the game"

Have to be kidding busting on clowney like this. Dozens of players sit out each week with injuries. And all 3 "great ones" you mentioned missed games due to injury

How do you think he would have done with Foster to hand to, that Texans defense, Andre and Hopkins? I think he'd look better

I think he would have his struggles there too as all young Qbs do. And impatient fans would be wanting him benched for some journeyman backup.

As bad as the Jags are, he can at least grow into the role without people screaming for him to get benched.

Its funny for a league who is trying to avoid controversy about how it treats player's injuries that any thing like this would be leaked

Certain injuries and illnesses aren't able be played through, but clearly some of the coaches believe Clowney could play and practice more than he has recently. Whether he suits up Sunday remains to be seen, but a message has been sent to the rookie.

Its funny for a league who is trying to avoid controversy about how it treats player's injuries that any thing like this would be leaked

i think the texans coaches probably dont much care if the nfl gets sued - totally different priorities. and thats part of the problem. a coach has such short term rewards/consequences.

Clowney continues to feel discomfort in surgically repaired knee

if he keeps this up he'll be known as Clown Knee. :lol:

:D I saw one of the comments said "Watt a Clown"

The reason I can't stand him myself is because Gamecock fans were so excited for last season, and they looked like they might have a shot at the national championship................And, then he pulled that crap..........I personally saw him quit on a game divisive play - he went for the QB, missed, and then just laid on the ground. Same week that I saw Mario go for the QB, miss the same way, get right up, haul ass and make Tananbaum rush his last throw of the game and we win..........Somebody told me Clowney will do it when he gets paid. We'll see.

I just don't know if great players flip the switch at

:D I saw one of the comments said "Watt a Clown"

The reason I can't stand him myself is because Gamecock fans were so excited for last season, and they looked like they might have a shot at the national championship................And, then he pulled that crap..........I personally saw him quit on a game divisive play - he went for the QB, missed, and then just laid on the ground. Same week that I saw Mario go for the QB, miss the same way, get right up, haul ass and make Tananbaum rush his last throw of the game and we win..........Somebody told me Clowney will do it when he gets paid. We'll see.

I just don't know if great players flip the switch at

The guy played his last year at SC while injured. You think that might have something to do with it? By your measure hes a hero

Edited by JTSP

I have been following the gamecocks since my daughter started there 3 years ago. Clowney was a man among boys, but after "The Hit" he spent his last season at USC just staying in shape, not particularly interested in doing much more than coming out at the top of the draft. He spent his last year taking plays off, even games off, but playing against guys where he knew he would rack up stats and big plays. As a Carolina fan, I thought they had a decent shot for the title, but without his buy in, the team suffered. Even coach Spurrier (as crazy as he is) did not give him any ringing endorsements when pro teams asked about his work ethic. If only the heart of a guy like Marcus Lattimore could be transplanted into the body and talent of Clowney, then you would have a bona fide NFL caliber player that would be worthy of the #1 pick.

I have been following the gamecocks since my daughter started there 3 years ago. Clowney was a man among boys, but after "The Hit" he spent his last season at USC just staying in shape, not particularly interested in doing much more than coming out at the top of the draft. He spent his last year taking plays off, even games off, but playing against guys where he knew he would rack up stats and big plays. As a Carolina fan, I thought they had a decent shot for the title, but without his buy in, the team suffered. Even coach Spurrier (as crazy as he is) did not give him any ringing endorsements when pro teams asked about his work ethic. If only the heart of a guy like Marcus Lattimore could be transplanted into the body and talent of Clowney, then you would have a bona fide NFL caliber player that would be worthy of the #1 pick.

That's the way I saw it..............That must have been a huge letdown for Gamecock fans.

And in that situation, there's no reason to fault a guy for putting himself #1.

Totally disagree.. It shows that he thinks of himself first rather than the team. Every single person that I knew that was damn good in sports and that was a champion always put team ahead of himself.

And I can almost say with complete certainty that it is this sort of take he had his last year in college is the same sort of trait that he is being questioned about right now. These two things go hand in hand.

Edited by Magox

Totally disagree.. It shows that he thinks of himself first rather than the team. Every single person that I knew that was damn good in sports and that was a champion always put team ahead of himself.

And I can almost say with complete certainty that it is this sort of take he had his last year in college is the same sort of trait that he is being questioned about right now. These two things go hand in hand.

Your view simply doesn't cut it

even putting himself before the team there are a TON of places that his own interests are in line with the teams.

is he your dream player as a coach? probably not. but there are a whole lot of guys that are less than perfect that contribute to championships. at the end of the day your rhetoric on putting team before self has left a lot of great athletes with pretty terrible lives. theres a balance to be had.