Halftime

Simon

Someone pleaseeeeee explain to me what Marrones "schtick" is? And why some of us think the players (veterans) hate it?

Is there any concrete examples of this or is this all the media driven nonsense (his apparent "dispute" with Hughes, who he's been getting great results out of by the way? His "argument" with the FO after training camp? Not playing mike Williams - who we have not needed because our WRs are doing great - thus causing his agent to request a trade? Also, notice how mike acts on the sidelines, true team player despite his apparent "rift" with his head coach. His demotion of Robert Woods in training camp that worked perfectly and Woods publicly said he needed and benefited from and now he's playing like he should? Or is it his handling of the guard situation where he has not played Urbik for reasons none of us actually know, other than the fact they were trying to ride it out with the rookie and now switched and inserted Urbik?)

I'm dying to see what everyone is talking about as far as Marrone and his "schtick"?

THANK YOU - sorry to repeat post, must have posted at the same time - this is what I'm saying!

It's simply a case of repetition begets fact regardless of whether there's any truth to it.

Frankly, claims that he some sort of schtick is comparable to TV news' analysis of celebrity criminal trials: uninformed, tiresome, and likely incorrect.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone pleaseeeeee explain to me what Marrones "schtick" is? And why some of us think the players (veterans) hate it?

Is there any concrete examples of this or is this all the media driven nonsense (his apparent "dispute" with Hughes, who he's been getting great results out of by the way? His "argument" with the FO after training camp? Not playing mike Williams - who we have not needed because our WRs are doing great - thus causing his agent to request a trade? Also, notice how mike acts on the sidelines, true team player despite his apparent "rift" with his head coach. His demotion of Robert Woods in training camp that worked perfectly and Woods publicly said he needed and benefited from and now he's playing like he should? Or is it his handling of the guard situation where he has not played Urbik for reasons none of us actually know, other than the fact they were trying to ride it out with the rookie and now switched and inserted Urbik?)

I'm dying to see what everyone is talking about as far as Marrone and his "schtick"?

THANK YOU - sorry to repeat post, must have posted at the same time - this is what I'm saying!

You mean other than those Simon mentioned and you just re-iterated? The Bills have 1 WR who is above all others by a mile. But there are only 2 WR in the team's top 5 in receptions--and that's Woods with 3.5 catches per game. Does Marrone really think Mike Williams is not better than Hogan? If not, then why isn't he on the field?

The guards are getting mauled all season and he keeps the only viable G on the bench?

You put your best players on the field, no question.

Wasn't his argument with Russ over Orton?

Simon, bringing it (whenever he's on the scene) as usual.

Well, said, all of it. Like others, I key in on what Marrone is doing wrong with some young veterans in trying to dictate to them. This results in inferior talent on the field, in a game where having the best cumulative talent gives you better chances.

You mean other than those Simon mentioned and you just re-iterated? The Bills have 1 WR who is above all others by a mile. But there are only 2 WR in the team's top 5 in receptions--and that's Woods with 3.5 catches per game. Does Marrone really think Mike Williams is not better than Hogan? If not, then why isn't he on the field?

The guards are getting mauled all season and he keeps the only viable G on the bench?

You put your best players on the field, no question.

Wasn't his argument with Russ over Orton?

I was pointing out that the things Simon tried using as examples of Marrone's "schtick" are all created by fans/media...nothing actually ever said by players....

what WE, as fans, THINK about certain skill levels of certain players is most likely quite different than what Marrone and his staff (you know, the professionals) know about their players....how do we, as fans, know Mike Williams talent is any better than Woods/Hogan? The answer is, its probably not, or he would be on the field. How do WE, as fans, know that Urbik is clearly better than the other guards? We dont, we THINK that he is, because of what we have seen...

The hate for Marrone as "having it out" for certain players on the team is pure fabrication, and seems like a with hunt

The guy is currently getting results, and has taken over a talent-less team and has - through half a season - turned us into a contender, yet some of us want Pegula to clean house and restart the entire "rebuilding process" all over again - the main reason why we have sucked for 15 years is NO CONTINUITY

The guy is currently getting results, and has taken over a talent-less team and has - through half a season - turned us into a contender, yet some of us want Pegula to clean house and restart the entire "rebuilding process" all over again - the main reason why we have sucked for 15 years is NO CONTINUITY

No.

Simon, bringing it (whenever he's on the scene) as usual.

Well, said, all of it. Like others, I key in on what Marrone is doing wrong with some young veterans in trying to dictate to them. This results in inferior talent on the field, in a game where having the best cumulative talent gives you better chances.

how do you know this is going on?

No.

ok maybe talent-less was a bit of an over statement

how about, a losing team, and has gotten winning results (so far) in year 2 of his regime?

how do you know this is going on?

It was pretty damn clear from Marrone's statements that he was trying to teach Robert Woods a lesson in the preseason. It's pretty clear from Mike Williams' statements that he feels like he is in the doghouse. This is not "media fabrication," it's my assessment of what the parties involved are actually putting on record. I can't verify the stuff with Hughes or Urbik but it's enough smoke to make me believe there is at least a bit of a fire. At the very least, the situation with Urbik was conservative to a San Andreas-sized fault.

It was pretty damn clear from Marrone's statements that he was trying to teach Robert Woods a lesson in the preseason. It's pretty clear from Mike Williams' statements that he feels like he is in the doghouse. This is not "media fabrication," it's my assessment of what the parties involved are actually putting on record. I can't verify the stuff with Hughes or Urbik but it's enough smoke to make me believe there is at least a bit of a fire. At the very least, the situation with Urbik was conservative to a San Andreas-sized fault.

ummmmm yes he was trying to teach Woods a lesson, IT WORKED, and Woods even said so himself...soooooo why is this a problem??

Mike Williams is being very professional about not playing (helping fellow WRs on the sidelines, keeping their heads up after dumb drops and fumbles) - so even if he is in some type of dog house, its not like its been a cancer to the team) - we have no idea why Marrone feels like he does, but we are getting great results with our WRs on the field and its not a problem in the locker room from all indications...soooo why is this a problem?

Should Marrone baby his players and let them rule the roost? Is that effective leadership? We should fire a coach because he has successfully used a demotion to motivate a young player? We should fire a coach because hes keeping a 4th string WR on the bench while others are getting the job done?

And as to why Urbik didnt get a start sooner, we dont know because nothing is on record as to that....

This witch hunt for Marrone seems like making a mountain out of a mole hill for fans who should be BEYOND HAPPY that we are in the playoff hunt halfway through a season....or have we forgot that we have been trying to achieve this goal for 15 years?

Again...the BOTTOM LINE is that continuity is one of the main factors that breeds success in the NFL, so why would we be wanting to insert another coaching staff/system/philosophy and set us back, yet again? Seems dumb

How do WE, as fans, know that Urbik is clearly better than the other guards? We dont, we THINK that he is, because of what we have seen...

Well...yes.

The guy is currently getting results, and has taken over a talent-less team and has - through half a season - turned us into a contender,

Say what??

I hope the Bills re-sign Hughes and that Marrone is mean to him at a training camp practice again next year. That seems like it's working out pretty well this season. Maybe Hughes is trying to teach him a lesson by playing so well.

I hope the Bills re-sign Hughes and that Marrone is mean to him at a training camp practice again next year. That seems like it's working out pretty well this season. Maybe Hughes is trying to teach him a lesson by playing so well.

The Hughes thing was the only one that was meaningless because it was basically manufactured by the media, and was only one day for all intents and purposes. The Woods, Urbik and Williams issues lasted weeks. Not comparable.

Marrones about one thing - being accountable to each other. This results in wins when you buy in, if you don't you'll be out the door while the winners keep winning, we've needed this type of coach for years. He's here now

shhhhh, hes not babying the players enough!!! havent you read the thread : )

these guys will keep cooking up stories about how there is dissension in the ranks so they can attempt to win people over to their side that Marrone and co. are the problem and should be let go NOW

silliness

The Hughes thing was the only one that was meaningless because it was basically manufactured by the media, and was only one day for all intents and purposes. The Woods, Urbik and Williams issues lasted weeks. Not comparable.

How many regular season snaps has Woods lost because of this "issue"?

ummmmm yes he was trying to teach Woods a lesson, IT WORKED, and Woods even said so himself...soooooo why is this a problem??

We have no more evidence for this ("it worked") than we do that Marrone is being too much of a blowhard with his vets. Just saying. And what is a player supposed to say? "Coach is an a-hole, but I want to play so we're doing it his way"?

Woods has also improved in play because of the QB situation. I think that has far more to do with it than any motivational tactics on the part of our HC.

As for mead's statement -- I don't think that playoffs should guarantee a job, but it would go a hell of a long way. It's about how they get there and how they finish. If it looks like a mirage, I'm going to at least look at the potential for an upgrade. If it looks like he has them going in the right direction, he stays. Right now I give him a neutral-to-plus grade based on record and the improvements we're seeing. I still want to see the best players on the field, used well.

Two points, one to reiterate and one to disagree.

I've been thinking of posting about Mario, so I'm glad he was in your list. While he has been criticized in the past about taking plays off, he IS showing some nasty out there. I love it when he rag dolls someone!

Regarding wholesale house cleaning, I would hope that Pegula(s) has a heart-to-heart with Whaley, and that it's Whaley who helps P make that decision. I think most of us trust Whaley's judgment, so let the insider be the decider.

Hope you enjoyed your break....

Ps. As usual, GG is wrong.

Edited by TPS

We have no more evidence for this ("it worked") than we do that Marrone is being too much of a blowhard with his vets. Just saying. And what is a player supposed to say? "Coach is an a-hole, but I want to play so we're doing it his way"?

Woods has also improved in play because of the QB situation. I think that has far more to do with it than any motivational tactics on the part of our HC.

As for mead's statement -- I don't think that playoffs should guarantee a job, but it would go a hell of a long way. It's about how they get there and how they finish. If it looks like a mirage, I'm going to at least look at the potential for an upgrade. If it looks like he has them going in the right direction, he stays. Right now I give him a neutral-to-plus grade based on record and the improvements we're seeing. I still want to see the best players on the field, used well.

couldnt agree more with the last paragraph and thats what ive been trying to convey...regardless of what posters/the media drums up about the style of coach Marrone is, if it produces wins, im all for it! I too want to see the best players on the field, but as I have said, the coach knows who those players are wayyyyyyy more than we fans do

and regarding Woods, we do know that Marrones tactics worked because Woods specifically said that...after the benching he said something along the lines of "coach wants me to step up and not take plays off", "I know what I need to do"...so i think its clear, in that one case, the demotion worked and didnt create any kind of hate towards the coaches