Bills Place Safety Kenny Ladler on IR

Ladler only played ST for us since joining the 53-man roster. Easley is coming back, and I assume Ty Powell as well.

All three were on the 53 man active roster. Easley and Powell were hurt but just inactive a few games. Now we have 52 and an extra spot. But we only have three safeties and will probably add one, unless they want to go a few weeks with three and use Corey Graham if someone gets hurt.

All three were on the 53 man active roster. Easley and Powell were hurt but just inactive a few games. Now we have 52 and an extra spot. But we only have three safeties and will probably add one, unless they want to go a few weeks with three and use Corey Graham if someone gets hurt.

We have Deon Broomfield on the Practice Squad. 6' 206 lbs. Safety out of ISU. Ran a 4.65 40, played 5 years at ISU.

Positive: Two-year starter who posted 57 tackles and broke up six passes as a senior. Run-defending safety best playing downhill. Physical, mixes it up with opponents, and works well with cornerbacks. Shows a burst of closing speed to the action. Fast up the field and wraps up when tackling.

Negative: Marginal athlete. Late reacting to plays. Struggles in man-coverage situations.

Analysis: Broomfield is a one-dimensional run defending safety with potential in a zone system. In the end, he's a prospect who must earn his wage on special teams.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2014/S/Deon-Broomfield

Me thinks we be best checking other rosters and practice squads.

Ladler was promoted 10/11

So basically this move stashes a guy away for the rest of the year. The Bills still have to pay his salary, but they don't have to cut or waive him where another team could pick him up. Maybe they want to keep him around to compete for a job next year. But, he's not in a situation where he could latch on with another team that needs safety help right now.

To me, this sounds like an abuse of the IR category, which I thought was to be used when a player is actually Injured and therefore put on Reserve.

Ladler was promoted 10/11

Oh I know. I was just mentioning that we now have three safeties and we probably need another. That is why he was on the roster. I think we went about 3-4 weeks with only three safeties after Meeks went to IR a couple games in, and we used Graham back there at times. It helped that Ladler can play ST, and with Powell and Easley back Ladler isnt needed for that.

So basically this move stashes a guy away for the rest of the year. The Bills still have to pay his salary, but they don't have to cut or waive him where another team could pick him up. Maybe they want to keep him around to compete for a job next year. But, he's not in a situation where he could latch on with another team that needs safety help right now.

To me, this sounds like an abuse of the IR category, which I thought was to be used when a player is actually Injured and therefore put on Reserve.

How do you have any idea of his injury?

Not saying teams don't do this. But e easily could have hurt his arm, and it looked like a four week injury or so, and they didn't want to waste that roster spot for a month so they IR'd him. Teams do that all the time and it is not at all an abuse of the system.

Oh I know. I was just mentioning that we now have three safeties and we probably need another. That is why he was on the roster. I think we went about 3-4 weeks with only three safeties after Meeks went to IR a couple games in, and we used Graham back there at times. It helped that Ladler can play ST, and with Powell and Easley back Ladler isnt needed for that.

Oh, gotcha. I thought they were using him more for teams because Graham was getting more time at DB. I guess we'll see what the plan is when we find out who gets the spot.