32 Rushing Attempts vs. 17 Passing Attempts

The Pats team that ran up the score had the right mindset. It was "We don't care what the score is, or who we are playing, EVERYTIME we are on the field, we are trying to improve our performance, because it all adds up. Get better continuously, because you are really playing against yourself. You are trying to learn everytime you are on the field."

Compare that to "We are lucky to be up against this opponent, let's just kill the clock from the 3rd quarter, while in the Red Zone".

Every time the team is in the Red Zone, it's a chance to get more efficient. A chance for the OC to work on his playcalling, a chance to try out new plays, show new looks, get a new player in, etc.

(Just piling into the middle repeatedly is no way to work on the running game)

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were trying to run out the clock in the 3rd quarter in a 2 score game while IN THE RED ZONE. That's ridiculous when there are so many comebacks in the NFL. That is when you kill off the opponent. Dick Jauron did things like that. Jauron won games too, just never enough. Marty Schottenheimer won games like that too, just never a Super Bowl, even with great teams.

I love so much about this team, but the offensive mindset is weak. "Playing not to lose" will get mediocre results (9-7,8-8,7-9). This team is better than that, and deserves to be driven by a better driver.

That's what I like about Harbaugh, he is a power run coach but also will go for the jugular every time, even if it fails.

the worst thing about Hackett's gameplan was that it's design did nothing to force the Jets to adjust. They attacked our offense the way they wanted, the way we expected them to.. and he let them run their design without doing anything to get them off-balance. i'm guessing Rex was as surprised as anyone by our reluctance to force them to adjust. hell, he was probably ready with a plan B, to use when we started beating his blitz and getting the ball downfield - but I doubt he made any halftime adjustments at all.

and for all you - "but we won" - folks out there.. we've lost at least one game this season by leaving points on the field, and if the Jets weren't such an inferior team, it would have cost us again.

The Pats team that ran up the score had the right mindset. It was "We don't care what the score is, or who we are playing, EVERYTIME we are on the field, we are trying to improve our performance, because it all adds up. Get better continuously, because you are really playing against yourself. You are trying to learn everytime you are on the field."

Compare that to "We are lucky to be up against this opponent, let's just kill the clock from the 3rd quarter, in the Red Zone".

Every time the team is in the Red Zone, it's a chance to get more efficient. A chance for the OC to work on his playcalling, a chance to try out new plays, etc.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You cannot play that way. You either have confidence in your players ability to execute or you don't.

Except when we run the football, huh?

There's risk/reward with all playcalls. You can argue with the philosophy, but not the results.

Edited by FireChan

Except when we run the football, huh?

There's risk/reward with all playcalls. You can argue with the philosophy, but not the results.

Dude, they have won some games, but every year this team has won some games. The results aren't in yet!

I don't care about the run pass ratio, I'm fine with that, I just don't want a coach running out the clock in the 3rd quarter, in a 2 score game while in the Red Zone. That's taking it too far!

Edited by HoF Watkins

Compare that to "We are lucky to be up against this opponent, let's just kill the clock from the 3rd quarter, while in the Red Zone".

Every time the team is in the Red Zone, it's a chance to get more efficient. A chance for the OC to work on his playcalling, a chance to try out new plays, show new looks, get a new player in, etc.

Did you ever think that our passing game is fine and we're playing to improve our run game?

Dude, they have won some games, but every year this team has won some games. The results aren't in yet!

5-3, 2-1 in the division. Sounds like some results to me.

Hackett did not challenge the Jets secondary and this might be due to his lack of confidence in the Offensive line. Not making an excuse for him but that is the only logical explanation. His game plans are basic and uninspiring. I wonder how the Bills offense would be if they had a veteran NFL Offensive Coordinator.

Did you ever think that our passing game is fine and we're playing to improve our run game?

5-3, 2-1 in the division. Sounds like some results to me.

No, I don't consider what they did "working on the running game". You might, but then you a different kind of guy.

As far as the results, the points are being made about the offensive philosophy. The one they have right now can get you by some bad teams, but won't get them into the playoffs. That's the real measure of the results (but then, you are happy with better than 6-10, so I'm sure you are ecstatic).

See you at the end of the season Channy. Then you can give me a new excuse...

Edited by HoF Watkins

No, I don't consider what they did "working on the running game". You might, but then you a different kind of guy.

As far as the results, the points are being made about the offensive philosophy. The one they have right now can get you by some bad teams, but won't get them into the playoffs. That's the real measure of the results (but then, you are happy with better than 6-10, so I'm sure you are ecstatic).

You just said, "we should try to improve our performance" during blowouts. Who really needs the improvement? Orton and Sammy, or the O-line and the running game?

I'm happy with improvements. If we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, it'll be okay. If we get to 8-8 for the first time in 6 years, it'll be okay. But I guess if we have been the best 6-10 team ever, it's not.

Hackett did not challenge the Jets secondary and this might be due to his lack of confidence in the Offensive line. Not making an excuse for him but that is the only logical explanation. His game plans are basic and uninspiring. I wonder how the Bills offense would be if they had a veteran NFL Offensive Coordinator.

This

You just said, "we should try to improve our performance" during blowouts. Who really needs the improvement? Orton and Sammy, or the O-line and the running game?

I'm happy with improvements. If we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, it'll be okay. If we get to 8-8 for the first time in 6 years, it'll be okay. But I guess if we have been the best 6-10 team ever, it's not.

I have laid out everything I have to say. Good day sir.

Oh so it's practice then.

Oh so it's practice then.

Sure. It could be. The game was pretty much over. We could work on our run game, while preserving the victory.

Why are you mad that Hackett didn't call pass plays because he wasn't confident that they could execute, but are upset with him that he was confident in our run game?

Or is this the magical hindsight and double standard combo grasping at straws?

Edited by FireChan

with Orton taking the reins at QB, our biggest deficiency is our o-line, but an experienced OC would "coordinate" his gameplan with the strengths of his personnel in mind - and we are loaded in the passing game! even with Freddie and CJ absent, he'd still have at least the 'threat' of speed (Brown) and power (Boobie) to utilize in getting the opponent to adjust.. but he wouldn't feed them to the beast, he'd tempt the beast and attack it elsewhere