32 Rushing Attempts vs. 17 Passing Attempts

Kyle Orton looked like Phillip Rivers out there at times today. Imagine what the Bills would look like with a top O line, and a OC with a freaking clue, or imagination.

32 rushes, and a 2.1 yard per carry average :sick:

Hey, at least the Bills won...it only took 7 turnovers by the defense.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were trying to run out the clock in the 3rd quarter in a 2 score game while IN THE RED ZONE. That's ridiculous when there are so many comebacks in the NFL. That is when you kill off the opponent. Dick Jauron did things like that. Jauron won games too, just never enough. Marty Schottenheimer won games like that too, just never a Super Bowl, even with great teams.

I love so much about this team, but the offensive mindset is weak. "Playing not to lose" will get mediocre results (9-7,8-8,7-9). This team is better than that, and deserves to be driven by a better driver.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Kyle Orton looked like Phillip Rivers out there at times today. Imagine what the Bills would look like with a top O line, and a OC with a freaking clue, or imagination.

32 rushes, and a 2.1 yard per carry average :sick:

Hey, at least the Bills won...it only took 7 turnovers by the defense.

6. But hey, maybe if we had Chance Warmack we would've won by 300!

Edited by FireChan

32 rushing attempts with 32 of them going right up the middle and right at the strength of the Jets defense with absolutely no success

You would think at some point they would try something else

Edited by Max997

They were trying to run out the clock in the 3rd quarter in a 2 score game while IN THE RED ZONE. That's ridiculous when there are so many comebacks in the NFL. That is when you kill off the opponent. Dick Jauron did things like that. Jauron won games too, just never enough. Marty Schottenheimer won games like that too, just never a Super Bowl, even with great teams.

I love so much about this team, but the offensive mindset is weak. "Playing not to lose" will get mediocre results (9-7,8-8,7-9). This team is better than that, and deserves to be driven by a better driver.

I'll take higher than 6-10 to start.

My answer is complicated. I don't particularly like Hackett. I don't hate him, I think he has made some bonehead calls and good calls. I think that we have no idea the extent of influence Marrone has on him (I believe it's a lot more than most people think, even Joe B says that Marrone is the one who pushes the conservative influence on Hackett). I think the O-line is crap, utter crap. We attempted to address the O-line this offseason, and failed in the FA and the draft for a quick fix, which is not on Hackett. I think that the "good" players on the O-line are regressing, and again, that's not Hackett.

Personally, I think our offense has a lot of room to grow and I think eventually they will get there. Hackett gets way too much of the blame, he's a scapegoat for every problem on offense and has become a sort of rallying cry for knee-jerk reactions. Seriously, read the game day thread. Cordy Glenn and Urbik whiff on their blocks? "Stupid Hackett!!!" It's ridiculous.

Interesting. I see almost the entire fanbase appalled with our "moves" to (not)address the OLine. My problem with Hackett (assuming he's the most responsible person for the offensive playcalls) is that what he calls habitually emphasizes our weak points at the worst times. They'll be kneejerk reactions for every aspect of a game (including the people who think Eric Wood and Cordy Glenn suck now - watch them magically get better as they get more time with Urbik in between), but, Hackett's playcalling has been severely disappointing to me regardless of execution (good or bad). Of course, none of us are privy to the inner-workings of the playcalling - I'm just using my best guess like any of us are.

My answer is complicated. I don't particularly like Hackett. I don't hate him, I think he has made some bonehead calls and good calls. I think that we have no idea the extent of influence Marrone has on him (I believe it's a lot more than most people think, even Joe B says that Marrone is the one who pushes the conservative influence on Hackett). I think the O-line is crap, utter crap. We attempted to address the O-line this offseason, and failed in the FA and the draft for a quick fix, which is not on Hackett. I think that the "good" players on the O-line are regressing, and again, that's not Hackett.

Personally, I think our offense has a lot of room to grow and I think eventually they will get there. Hackett gets way too much of the blame, he's a scapegoat for every problem on offense and has become a sort of rallying cry for knee-jerk reactions. Seriously, read the game day thread. Cordy Glenn and Urbik whiff on their blocks? "Stupid Hackett!!!" It's ridiculous.

I'm sorry but when you get turn overs on the other teams side of the field, when their streghth is D-line and weakness is their secondary, you have to take a shot. Maybe just once.

I'm sorry but when you get turn overs on the other teams side of the field, when their streghth is D-line and weakness is their secondary, you have to take a shot. Maybe just once.

Oh you mean like the three shots we took, and the one we completed?

Ask the Jets fans if they're happy about their QB's "taking shots."

Edited by FireChan

Interesting. I see almost the entire fanbase appalled with our "moves" to (not)address the OLine. My problem with Hackett (assuming he's the most responsible person for the offensive playcalls) is that what he calls habitually emphasizes our weak points at the worst times. They'll be kneejerk reactions for every aspect of a game (including the people who think Eric Wood and Cordy Glenn suck now - watch them magically get better as they get more time with Urbik in between), but, Hackett's playcalling has been severely disappointing to me regardless of execution (good or bad). Of course, none of us are privy to the inner-workings of the playcalling - I'm just using my best guess like any of us are.

I don't think Cordy and Wood suck, but they've both been beaten bad without any fault to their G's. You can't blame that on their guards.

Execution is all that matters. Our O-line can't execute consistently. Ask yourself why we had a great rushing attack last year with Hackett calling the plays?

Execution is all that matters. Our O-line can't execute consistently. Ask yourself why we had a great rushing attack last year with Hackett calling the plays?

I think our rushing attack last year would have been better with a different OC. Hackett was unbearable last year as well (to me), mostly in a situational playcalling sense. Yes, our OLine is rough. But the OLine and Hackett are not mutually exclusive. They can both suck. I happen to think that they both do, unfortunately. Every week, though, I will hope for the OLine to gel and Hackett to grasp situational football.

I think our rushing attack last year would have been better with a different OC. Hackett was unbearable last year as well (to me), mostly in a situational playcalling sense. Yes, our OLine is rough. But the OLine and Hackett are not mutually exclusive. They can both suck. I happen to think that they both do, unfortunately. Every week, though, I will hope for the OLine to gel and Hackett to grasp situational football.

Our rushing attack was #2 last year. How much do you need?

I'll agree that situational playcalling sometimes sucks. We are BAD when we have the ball in the 2 minute drill before the half. We run some half-conservative-half-risky plays and end up not killing clock, and not driving down the field. It's a recipe for disaster. However, as I said earlier, I wouldn't be too hasty to blame Hackett exclusively.

Oh you mean like the three shots we took, and the one we completed?

Ask the Jets fans if they're happy about their QB's "taking shots."

Yes that's right turn overs inside the thirty, team with bad secondary, good D line, so run, run, pass, field goal. That's what Belichick would do.

as I said earlier, I wouldn't be too hasty to blame Hackett exclusively.

Nor would I. I would blame him in addition to the Guards. And he should recognize that they do, in fact, suck, and not make them a central component of our rushing attack (as much as possible).

Regardless, thrilled with the win and GO BILLS! Gotta go run some errands - 5-3 going into the bye! All these games coming up are going to be nerve wracking!

'zactly. We never went for the throat after a turnover, except from the 1-yard line. Most teams dial up a play action pass to the end zone, we called 5 runs up the middle.