Pat Shurmur Just Makes Sense

First of all, I wish nothing but success for the Bills as they are currently constituted.

Second, please research Pat Shurmur's career in totality before you simply react to his name and his very short time with the Browns.

My 10 supporting points (in no specific order):

1. Proven record developing young quarterbacks (Donovan McNabb, Sam Bradford, Nick Foles). Some people have been hoping the Bills would try to get Bradford in the off season. I am not a big fan but if that were to happen Shurmur would be a great choice to partner with him (OC in St. Louis 2009-2010).

2. Descended from the Holmgren/Reid coaching tree. A few of you are hoping that the new ownership brings in Holmgren as a transition consultant (Personally I am hoping for Ernie Accorsi who consulted on the Panthers turn around in 2012 - among other things, of course). And some of you were clamoring for Reid when he was available.

3. Holmgren hired Shurmur in Cleveland as the HC before their bizarre ownership transition (Haslam). I would presume Shurmur is still on Holmgren's short list. Note: Browns are still paying Shurmur through 2014 :-).

4. Shurmur was an All American center at Michigan State as a player after injury forced him to move from linebacker. Safe assumption he knows how to manage the O line.

5. Nephew of long time pro coach Fritz Shurmur (deceased).

6. Currently working as OC under Chip Kelly in Philadelphia. Granted, Kelly calls the plays but Shurmur is well aligned with the no huddle philosophy and has assisted in implementing it with two different types of QBs.

7. Reality is, if there is a change at HC or OC going into next year for the Bills, it will be tough to recruit a "big time" coach (whatever that means) mostly due to the lack of a 1st round pick. Shurmur is a good choice because he has had experience implementing the offense of the future with varying styles at QB. IMO, he will maximize what we currently have at that position (Orton and Manuel).

8. Shurmur and Bryce Brown are familiar with one another from their time together in PHI. So....if Brown takes off this year he can be the centerpiece of Shurmur's offense.

9. The hurry up attack de-emphasizes current weaknesses along the O Line - assuming we can focus on fixing the TE position, Spiller comes back healthy and couples with Bryce Brown at RB, AND we find the right combination on the OLine. I really think Marrone and Hackett are trying to implement a similar up tempo offense, they collectively just lack the NFL experience (mostly Hackett). Chip Kelly was smart enough to surround himself with NFL vets (see article in link below).

10. Shurmur has HC experience and with the Bills defense quickly establishing itself as elite (at times), he could focus on the offense and leave the defense to Schwartz (if he is still around).

Recent article on Shurmur: http://articles.phil...0hoHdsTDoqeF.99

Shurmur Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Pat_Shurmur

I will post my other realistic choices for HC in another thread sometime soon. Spoiler...think San Diego coordinator not named Reich (even though I think he will be great in a few years).

We need another former coordinator's kid?

EDIT: nephew. Wade Phillips, Nate Hackett. I'm just a little traumatized.

Well...interesting trivia maybe only to me: Paul Hackett (Nate's dad, obviously) replaced two former Bills OC's while working on other teams, Joe Pendry (Chiefs - 1993) and Dan Henning (Jets - 2001).

My guess would be Cowher

I still scratch my head over the love for a coach who has been away from the game for over 7 years. Also it seems that a lot of his success is tied to LeBeau?

Did a quick google search on research of this topic. Cowher's record with Lebeau: 87-41 (playoffs 7 out of 8 years). Cowher's record without Lebeau: 62-49 (playoffs only 3 out of 7 years).