Donnie Henderson - Heat On Gilmore Well Deserved

I've been saying the same things about Gilmore since preseason, glad to see the coaches and those at WGR feel the same way, but there are those like "Why So Serious" that didn't think so.

Bad technique as well as football IQ is something I have been harping too and why he is so inconsistent. IMO I think it [technique] could also be a reason for him always being banged up. I find it fascinating that Henderson brought this up so candidly.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Where is bandit, turbo And jauronimo?

Oh I'm right here, saying the same thing I've been saying for 2-1/2 years:

He's very good, not elite, best CB on the team by a wide margin, and nowhere near worthy of the embarrassingly stupid crusades some here partake in against him.

Show me a single thing in Henderson's comments that disagrees.

Thanks.

Oh I'm right here, saying the same thing I've been saying for 2-1/2 years:

He's very good, not elite, best CB on the team by a wide margin, and nowhere near worthy of the embarrassingly stupid crusades some here partake in against him.

Thanks.

Agree with what u say other than the very good part. Imo hes ok. Nothing more

Oh I'm right here, saying the samsamee thing I've been saying for 2-1/2 years:

Thanks.

bandit, I don't understand. How is he very good? I'm sure I watch the same games you watch. What do you see? Imo, I think he's overrated.

If only EJ Manuel got the "pass" many of you give Gilmore, he'd still be playing!

The difference is Gilmore makes a mistake 2-3 times a game at most and Manuel makes 10 + errors a game.

That isn't comparing the good plays they make in a game either.

The difference is Gilmore makes a mistake 2-3 times a game at most and Manuel makes 10 + errors a game.

That isn't comparing the good plays they make in a game either.

Yeah, but Gilmore's errors usually results in TDs for the opponent. One thing Manuel did very well was limit his turnovers and rarely did his errors result in TDs. Better Oline play would've probably helped the YOUNG QB develop better.

I suspect that most are, just not with the press.

No doubt. Regarding taking things out to the press you need to be careful, you need to know the player well, otherwise the player might take it the wrong way. For instance,

Henderson here is saying Gilmore is good and he needs to be better at certain things to take his game to another level, he's saying the player could be great but isn't right now, Gilmore knows that, Henderson knows that and fans know that. Henderson takes it to the press so that he can challenge the player to make it happen.

Donnie Henderson is easily the best position coach we have. He's right. Gilmore is very good but could be better. I'm sure Gilmore said to himself on the TD pass "I have to make that play" and not what some fans think, which is he had good coverage but the guy made a great catch, which is true. Gilmore is beyond his injuries. He's not a young guy anymore. He's hugely talented. He needs to be better.

That said, today I read a couple articles about Patrick Peterson, who signed a $70m deal, saying he hasn't played well and he is saying I have to be better. Richard Sherman has been beat quite a few times this year. Revis was beat a couple times last night.

Excellent post

Gilmore has actually been really good for us at times. The 2nd half of his 1st two seasons he has looked like he could be a really good CB in this league. He just needs to be more consistent. Any lapse at that position gets you toasted. This is the NFL, not college, so you are not going to be able to get away with missing assignments here or there.

Donnie Henderson is easily the best position coach we have. He's right. Gilmore is very good but could be better. I'm sure Gilmore said to himself on the TD pass "I have to make that play" and not what some fans think, which is he had good coverage but the guy made a great catch, which is true. Gilmore is beyond his injuries. He's not a young guy anymore. He's hugely talented. He needs to be better.

That said, today I read a couple articles about Patrick Peterson, who signed a $70m deal, saying he hasn't played well and he is saying I have to be better. Richard Sherman has been beat quite a few times this year. Revis was beat a couple times last night.

Gilmore had never shown to be in the same league as Revis, Sherman, or Peterson. So far it has been mostly hype with very little actual 'shut down' play.

Teams do not fear Gilmore. He is an ok CB, if he was great this D could rival to be the best in the NFL.

Donnie Henderson should be Head Coach of this team! He'll, more than likely, get the most out of all the players on this roster.

Another way to look at this is that Henderson has had 21 months with Gilmore and hasn't gotten through to him. Gilmore might have reached his potential or maybe he can improve, but none of us see that improvement going on.

i find it hard to believe that any defensive player has a personal choice as to what technique he should employ in a sophisticated NFL defense.

i understand that there's only so much you can do at the small college and high school level because of limited resources - assistants, practice time, availability of info on the next opponent (what you don't already know, if you play each season) - but to hear this from a position coach in the NFL only confirms something i've known for years - one thing that all champions share, is their preparation. Very good coaches can win with mediocre athletes and will win championships with good ones.

Details such as knowing the opponent's offensive tendencies when faced with certain situations - field position, down & distance, score, time, etc. - should lead the DC to make a decision on where he thinks the O is going to attack, and how. If he's prepared, he has a plan to stop them. That 'plan' includes a defensive package - particular personnel groups, formations for each group, base responsibilities within the formation, and specialty responsibilities such as line stunts, blitzes and coverages which can be run from the formation. The failure of any D player to use the proper technique on their opponent during even one play can result in a breakdown of the entire unit. Defensive breakdowns result in first downs and touchdowns, and touchdowns win games.

Hearing Henderson's comments after last week's unprepared 2nd half defensive gameplan is not good. Schwarz better tighten things up, and at least get on the same page as his assistants.

Edited by BackInDaDay