2013 Draft Revisited

The sentiment had been euphoric regarding this draft. But the way it's unfolding not looking so great:

RD1: EJ Manuel

- benched, may never start again

RD2: Robert Woods

- good WR, but ceiling is a solid #2

RD2: Kiko Alonso

- great rookie year, IR this year with his 2nd ACL. Given his history of knee injuries, how much will he be healthy and on the field? (aka Robert Griffin)

RD3: Marquise Goodwin

- provides a little spark now and then but gets injured easily due to small size. All things considered, not much production out of a 3rd round pick

RD4: Duke Williams

- horrific on Sunday against Pats, he won't last without dramatic improvement

RD5: Jonathon Meeks

- didn't see much time last year, IR'd for 2014

RD6: Dustin Hopkins

- cut

RD7: Chris Gragg

- Has some potential but unlikely anything more than buried in the depth chart

Summary

So at the moment what we got out of this was a solid #2 WR in Woods, a guy who occasionally catches a deep ball in Goodwin (too small and fragile to run shorter routes over the middle), and some depth at TE. The guys in the secondary I am writing off. If it stays that way it's a poor draft. My view is that EJ is most likely not going to start for any length of time again, which means the only way to salvage this draft into something borderline respectable is for Kiko to come back strong and stay healthy for a number of years.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didn't, but there are concerns. As you saw, my view is the only way to salvage that draft is for him to come back strong.

Yes, but look back at the picks made after EJ was there anyone that you think be more valuable? Toss in he looks to be the best QB of his class. I know some will point to Glennon but meh his record isn't all that great and wonder if he just piles up stats because the Bucs are in worse shape than the Bills.

I wasn't a big Robert Woods fan going into the draft he's grown on me but one has to wonder would Keenan Allen be a better pick?

I'm willing to bet Alonso comes back, he might not be elite next year as it usually takes a year or two for guys to full recover.

I wasn't sold on Goodwin then and I'm not now.

Duke Williams was bad Sunday but he's a backup and when he's asked to play that role he's been okay.

Not sure why we took Meeks then.

If Hopkins doesn't get hurt his rookie season I think he'd be kicking for us today. That said never waste a draft pick on a kicker.

I'd love to see Gragg get more playing time. I'm not saying he'll be a starting TE but think he might be better than a 3rd stringer.

Grading a draft less than 2 years after it happened is always smart.

- why not? To the posters point, a year ago, we were all slapping ass and high fixing with how great we had done... In the end, it'll be an average draft...made worse by the selection of EJ where we took him...

The sentiment had been euphoric regarding this draft. But the way it's unfolding not looking so great:

RD1: EJ Manuel

- benched, may never start again

RD2: Robert Woods

- good WR, but ceiling is a solid #2

RD2: Kiko Alonso

- great rookie year, IR this year with his 2nd ACL. Given his history of knee injuries, how much will he be healthy and on the field? (aka Robert Griffin)

RD3: Marquise Goodwin

- provides a little spark now and then but gets injured easily due to small size. All things considered, not much production out of a 3rd round pick

RD4: Duke Williams

- horrific on Sunday against Pats, he won't last without dramatic improvement

RD5: Jonathon Meeks

- didn't see much time last year, IR'd for 2014

RD6: Dustin Hopkins

- cut

RD7: Chris Gragg

- Has some potential but unlikely anything more than buried in the depth chart

Summary

So at the moment what we got out of this was a solid #2 WR in Woods, a guy who occasionally catches a deep ball in Goodwin (too small and fragile to run shorter routes over the middle), and some depth at TE. The guys in the secondary I am writing off. If it stays that way it's a poor draft. My view is that EJ is most likely not going to start for any length of time again, which means the only way to salvage this draft into something borderline respectable is for Kiko to come back strong and stay healthy for a number of years.

Woods isn't physical enough to be a sold #2.

Yes, but look back at the picks made after EJ was there anyone that you think be more valuable? Toss in he looks to be the best QB of his class. I know some will point to Glennon but meh his record isn't all that great and wonder if he just piles up stats because the Bucs are in worse shape than the Bills.

I wasn't a big Robert Woods fan going into the draft he's grown on me but one has to wonder would Keenan Allen be a better pick?

I'm willing to bet Alonso comes back, he might not be elite next year as it usually takes a year or two for guys to full recover.

Duke Williams was bad Sunday but he's a backup and when he's asked to play that role he's been okay.

If Hopkins doesn't get hurt his rookie season I think he'd be kicking for us today. That said never waste a draft pick on a kicker.

I'd love to see Gragg get more playing time. I'm not saying he'll be a starting TE but think he might be better than a 3rd stringer.

Keenan Allen for sure would've been better, but you can make that argument for every team. There are always sleepers who play well.

Manuel - not touching this one with a 20' pole

Woods - I like Woods. He seems to be the type that will have a 12 year NFL career even if not with the Bills. Coming in to it I just figured he'd be another USC WR. He has surprised me.

Alonso - I need to see him adapt to the WLB role. I have some doubts about his ability to perform under the Schwartz.

Goodwin - I wasn't sold on him then as a long term reliable WR. I am still not but believe he can find a place to contribute but not much.

DWilliams - I would like to let him settle in a little more before commenting but I am not sure he is the right player for the system we play.

Meeks - Seems like someone who could come in as a Dime player.

Hopkins - didn't work out. Why would you ever draft a kicker not named Sebastian?!

Gragg - just like all 7th rounders he is a project. Lets see if the glue will hold because I can't think we can work any more with this guy to put him together. He's either got to get it or get out.

I think this is a fair take.

Woods isn't physical enough to be a sold #2.

Bob Woods says to meet him outside.

Woods isn't "physical enough"?

Robert Woods?

Who plays for Buffalo?

He plays very physical. His game reminds me of Michael Irvin.

Manuel - not touching this one with a 20' pole

Woods - I like Woods. He seems to be the type that will have a 12 year NFL career even if not with the Bills. Coming in to it I just figured he'd be another USC WR. He has surprised me.

Alonso - I need to see him adapt to the WLB role. I have some doubts about his ability to perform under the Schwartz.

Goodwin - I wasn't sold on him then as a long term reliable WR. I am still not but believe he can find a place to contribute but not much.

DWilliams - I would like to let him settle in a little more before commenting but I am not sure he is the right player for the system we play.

Meeks - Seems like someone who could come in as a Dime player.

Hopkins - didn't work out. Why would you ever draft a kicker not named Sebastian?!

Gragg - just like all 7th rounders he is a project. Lets see if the glue will hold because I can't think we can work any more with this guy to put him together. He's either got to get it or get out.

I think this is a fair take.

Bob Woods says to meet him outside.

Did you both miss this gem of a topic?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/171732-i-hate-to-be-a-downer-but-robert-woods/

Woods isn't "physical enough"?

Robert Woods?

Who plays for Buffalo?

He plays very physical. His game reminds me of Michael Irvin.

completely agree and so would anyone who watches Woods play. special teams, running routes over the middle, that chicago catch in traffic which won us the game, run blocking.

sometimes i think people just post stuff like that to get replies.