Hitting on All Cylinders But 2 !!

T master

OK at the beginning of the year it was said that the strongest parts of the team were D line , RB's , WR's , CB's . Since then we have found out through their play the LB's aren't bad either . We were all worried about the D & what Schwartz would bring with the change in scheme , well so far we have end up in just about all defensive categories .

Heck even the ST's are doing pretty good this year , although we have had to use starters from other areas on the team to make it so .

I was listening to Thurman the other day on the John Murphy show & he had a great point . Which involves one of our strengths of the team but it involves not using the strength to it's full potential .

What happened to the 4 WR sets ? We have the guys , could it be inexperience just doesn't know how to go about using these guys ? For a moment just imagine being a D coordinator & seeing this line up . (excuse me if the guys aren't in their true spot but hopefully you'll get my drift)

M. Williams - M. Goodwin - Glenn- Richardson-Wood-Urbik-Henderson - R.Woods - Watkins

or Hogan or Chandler

Orton

Spiller

This would spread out & give CJ enough room to work plus give a D coordinator fits so why aren't we using ANY line up configurations like this ? Chan used them pretty well & we now have a lot stronger WR group.

SO WHAT'S UP HACKETT ??

• The Bills biggest draw back is the offense , if they would change 2 coaches we could be a super bowl team ! Get rid of Hackett & O line coach for some upgrades & we would be hitting on all cylinders ..

If you get a chance listen to the Thurmon interview on the John Murphy show the other night & you will here his thoughts on how they are misusing CJ's talents ...

Edited by T master

We are all picking up what you are laying down. Spiller is the one that is really killing me. The best player on our team yet we NEVER give him the ball in space. Thats where he can destroy a DC's plan.

I fear CJ will become a Patriot and burn us year after year. Become the #1 back in the league. We've seen it happen before.

We are all picking up what you are laying down. Spiller is the one that is really killing me. The best player on our team yet we NEVER give him the ball in space. Thats where he can destroy a DC's plan.

I fear CJ will become a Patriot and burn us year after year. Become the #1 back in the league. We've seen it happen before.

When? Byrd? Levitre? How many times has Jason Peters dominated us? How many 100 yard games has David Nelson had on us? How many times have we gotten destroyed by McGahee?

If you're talking about Marshawn, who has been a productive player that was let go because he was a criminal, realize that the circumstances were as different as they can be.

Edited by FireChan

OK at the beginning of the year it was said that the strongest parts of the team were D line , RB's , WR's , CB's . Since then we have found out through their play the LB's aren't bad either . We were all worried about the D & what Schwartz would bring with the change in scheme , well so far we have end up in just about all defensive categories .

Heck even the ST's are doing pretty good this year , although we have had to use starters from other areas on the team to make it so .

I was listening to Thurman the other day on the John Murphy show & he had a great point . Which involves one of our strengths of the team but it involves not using the strength to it's full potential .

What happened to the 4 WR sets ? We have the guys , could it be inexperience just doesn't know how to go about using these guys ? For a moment just imagine being a D coordinator & seeing this line up . (excuse me if the guys aren't in their true spot but hopefully you'll get my drift)

M. Williams - M. Goodwin - Glenn- Richardson-Wood-Urbik-Henderson - R.Woods - Watkins

or Hogan or Chandler

Orton

Spiller

This would spread out & give CJ enough room to work plus give a D coordinator fits so why aren't we using ANY line up configurations like this ? Chan used them pretty well & we now have a lot stronger WR group.

SO WHAT'S UP HACKETT ??

• The Bills biggest draw back is the offense , if they would change 2 coaches we could be a super bowl team ! Get rid of Hackett & O line coach for some upgrades & we would be hitting on all cylinders ..

If you get a chance listen to the Thurmon interview on the John Murphy show the other night & you will here his thoughts on how they are misusing CJ's talents ...

We may see some of that with Orton at QB as he gets more comfortable with receivers. Right now I think they basically need to keep a RB in to help prevent free blitzers up the middle. Also, Orton is pretty good at play action and that is still the best offensive tactic in football, IMO.

As for the lineup, Cyril Richardson is capable of some devastating blocks but he gives up so many untouched runs at the QB that it's hard to tell if he is going to make it or not. Pears is just awful at OG and Wood appears to be circling the drain. They have their hands full getting average play out of those guys. Hard to believe but they are somehow worse inside than they were last year with a complete blackhole at LG. When you miss Chris Williams you have a problem.

There was an anti-Boobie Dixon post on here recently and I gotta' say I actually think pounding him up the middle would really help those interior lineman. Opposing DT's are licking their chops at the sight of these blockers, making them work in the run game would take some of the starch out that that pass rush IMO. Tackling Spiller for a 1 yard gain requires zero effort.

When? Byrd? Levitre? How many times has Jason Peters dominated us? How many 100 yard games has David Nelson had on us? How many times have we gotten destroyed by McGahee?

If you're talking about Marshawn, who has been a productive player that was let go because he was a criminal, realize that the circumstances were as different as they can be.

Antoine Smith

edit: Antowain* Smith

Edited by DrDareustein

Considering we have a front 5 plus te and rb chip blocking and still having issues keeping a pocket, I don't see a 4 wr set until the guards get better/replaced.

I do agree a 4 wr set would help cj but unless the blocking holds he will still do his typical 1 yard, try to bounce it out, end of play.

We may see some of that with Orton at QB as he gets more comfortable with receivers. Right now I think they basically need to keep a RB in to help prevent free blitzers up the middle. Also, Orton is pretty good at play action and that is still the best offensive tactic in football, IMO.

As for the lineup, Cyril Richardson is capable of some devastating blocks but he gives up so many untouched runs at the QB that it's hard to tell if he is going to make it or not. Pears is just awful at OG and Wood appears to be circling the drain. They have their hands full getting average play out of those guys. Hard to believe but they are somehow worse inside than they were last year with a complete blackhole at LG. When you miss Chris Williams you have a problem.

There was an anti-Boobie Dixon post on here recently and I gotta' say I actually think pounding him up the middle would really help those interior lineman. Opposing DT's are licking their chops at the sight of these blockers, making them work in the run game would take some of the starch out that that pass rush IMO. Tackling Spiller for a 1 yard gain requires zero effort.

Yah but a lot of the O lines terrible play is due to the O line coach , it wasn't that way when Joe D was here ! And look what he has done in San diego , there O line is killer well at least better than what we got but it's the coaching !! Not the players , when the coach lets Urbik (a guy just signed to a multi year extension due to his play) sit the bench some one doesn't know what they are doing because Urbik was doing fine in Joe D's scheme !!

Considering we have a front 5 plus te and rb chip blocking and still having issues keeping a pocket, I don't see a 4 wr set until the guards get better/replaced.

I do agree a 4 wr set would help cj but unless the blocking holds he will still do his typical 1 yard, try to bounce it out, end of play.

But one of our most explosive players is null & void due to inexperience OC . You get quick passes in tho alignment the D will have to respect that speed & won't be able to blitz as much ...

Yah but a lot of the O lines terrible play is due to the O line coach , it wasn't that way when Joe D was here ! And look what he has done in San diego , there O line is killer well at least better than what we got but it's the coaching !! Not the players , when the coach lets Urbik (a guy just signed to a multi year extension due to his play) sit the bench some one doesn't know what they are doing because Urbik was doing fine in Joe D's scheme !!

Marrone just hates urbik for some reason. The rest I agree with.

Since Marone took over I said his biggest mistake was not keeping the good coaches we had here. Joe D was a great OL coach who made many OL look better (including those with went to SD and Tennessee) and made better holes for backs. He should have looked at game film and talked to players BEFORE cutting entire staff.

Since Marone took over I said his biggest mistake was not keeping the good coaches we had here. Joe D was a great OL coach who made many OL look better (including those with went to SD and Tennessee) and made better holes for backs. He should have looked at game film and talked to players BEFORE cutting entire staff.

True Dat ! That just goes to show one more bit of Rookieness in our HC !!

Not to mention letting B. Dehaven go :doh: !!

Edited by T master

There are holes. CJ can't see them. He never has and never will.

WOW you must not have watched 2 years ago when he was averaging 6 ypc what were you on vacation ?

It's called game planning to the strengths of your players or having a true grasp of running a NFL offense which Hackett has neither !! He may WANT to but just by looking at the caliber of talent he has to work with & the result you can tell dude is WAY off the mark !!

SO WHAT'S UP HACKETT ??

A couple of reasons IMHO. First - EJ was skittish and did not process things fast+did not set his feet enough to take advantage of the WR talent. SD and Houston did not respect the passing game for very good reason. Secondly, the OL is new, fresh and mostly terrible in run blocking. The inside runs were tough to come by. I am not sure if this is the case where the OL has to 'gel' or if the talent at Guard negates the goodness at Center and Tackle or if the coaching itself is not good.

Orton's information processing and better passing may help the OL by making opposing D's respect the passing game. At this point, I am not sure where we will land but once Orton has played a few games and the opposing D's have had a chance to counter-attack him, we will have a much better idea how the rest of the season will go on offense. This Sunday is interesting not only for the (temporary) AFCE crown but to see how the O and D play against Belichick who always has his way with the Bills.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Sammy Morris. They got some good production from him.

Again one 700 yard season. And he sucked in Buffalo.

I'm specifically looking for I fear CJ will become a Patriot and burn us year after year. Become the #1 back in the league. We've seen it happen before.

Because we've never seen it before. It's some nonsensical, "every time the Bills lose free agents they dominate somewhere else!" argument that is complete crap. It's been said for hundreds of other Bills that went elsewhere and sucked. You don't keep free agents because they might play well somewhere else, you keep free agents because they're playing well here and will accept a reasonable contract that won't hurt the team. Period.

WOW you must not have watched 2 years ago when he was averaging 6 ypc what were you on vacation ?

It's called game planning to the strengths of your players or having a true grasp of running a NFL offense which Hackett has neither !! He may WANT to but just by looking at the caliber of talent he has to work with & the result you can tell dude is WAY off the mark !!

You can "tell" that if you aren't paying attention and look to blame everyone except the player you're pumping up. Spiller has had holes. He cannot find them consistently. He lacks vision and constantly makes the wrong to decision to either bounce out or cut up field. Here's a fun little game. Take an All-22, and count how many times Spiller misses a hole and bounces outside for little to no yards. And count how many times he doesn't see to bounce it outside when it's wide open and he plunges into the line for little to no yards. The number will surprise you. He doesn't have the vision or decision-making ability that he needs to maximize his talent. He has the physical ability to be a top-10 RB like Charles, but he is severely lacking in the mental ability.

Was Spiller good in the system designed specifically for him? Sure. Is such a system conducive with winning? Obviously not. Is such a system conducive to developing a young QB who isn't all that good? No. But it does put up gaudy stats for CJ Spiller. But that isn't the goal of the offense, is it?

My thoughts are...

1] We have a rookie 7th round draft pick playing at RT, and while he played there at Miami, his entire professional coaching which includes footwork and technique and blah blah blah was at LT before a week before the season. We all expect great things from Henderson, and he is doing decent, but he is still a rookie playing at a new position, and a 7th rounder at that.

2] The Pears experiment is a disaster and to be blamed on Marrone, whose philosophy is seemingly different than most successful OL coaches.

3] The Chris Williams signing was shaky to begin with and 10x worse because of injury.

4] Because of the above, Cyril Richardson has been thrust into playing quicker than they wanted, a 5th round rookie whose coaching in college did not at all prepare him to start immediately in the pros. Baylor has a different offense and techniques than Richardson was taught when he came here, so it was a much bigger climb. He didn't get even second team reps in training camp sometimes, then climbed up the chain, and then what happens? His first two games he starts when he is not ready are against JJ Watt and Donkey Kong Suh.

5] Hackett has inexplicably avoided a strength, four talented WR, for an often two TE offense, both of whom suck, as well as a FB who does nothing but force defenders closer to the LOS including safeties.

6] With basically a rookie QB in EJ (because he was raw to begin with and got hurt three times as a rookie and was in his 10-14th games as a starter), Hackett's offense was designed around limiting EJ's mistakes, versus exploiting the defenses weaknesses.

And after all that, we are 3-2 and most fans think with even average QBing in the two losses we could have easily won.

Marrone should give up the five best should play when clearly Pears cannot play guard. Hackett should abandon the two TE set when both stink and Lee Smith has more penalty yards than receiving yards. Plus get the playmakers on the field like Goodwin and MWilliams.

I suspect, with Orton, we will see a little more of that.