Buffalo Sabres predictions?

ricojes

The season begins tonight. Unfortunately, I think the Sabres aren't anywhere near as bad as last season. I don't think they'll be great, but improved and not a last place team. Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel are going to be stars in this league for many years to come and it would be great to land one of them. It should be a pretty deep draft, but these 2 guys are as close to can't miss prospects as it gets. That being said, I never watch a game and root against the Sabres. But with a possible superstar one only a season away, I am definitely not as upset when they lose...

I see the Sabres finishing in 10th or 11th place in the conference...

My expectations

If there is a God, they'll go 0 and 82. I've seen Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid play and they're both generational players that will lead their team to a cup or three during their careers.

Finishing last assures the sabres of one of them.

Let's go Buff-a-lo!

Yup. They're already in 30th place and I have no desire to see them anywhere else.

The Bills and Sabres have both been stuck on the treadmill of 'bad but not horrible enough to get a franchise changing player' for years (decades for the Bills). I'm tired of it.

If there is a God, they'll go 0 and 82. I've seen Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid play and they're both generational players that will lead their team to a cup or three during their careers.

Finishing last assures the sabres of one of them.

Let's go Buff-a-lo!

I definitely want this to happen.

But, I have two questions:

- if they are this bad (44 to 12 shots on goal), can one player make that much of a difference?

- who (if you know) would you compare Eichel and McDavid's ceiling to? (The odds are against us getting McDavid - 20%, but the way we look, we seem looked into Eichel.)

- if they are this bad (44 to 12 shots on goal), can one player make that much of a difference?

- who (if you know) would you compare Eichel and McDavid's ceiling to? (The odds are against us getting McDavid - 20%, but the way we look, we seem looked into Eichel.)

They're going to have a ton of cap space going forward. With the prospect pool they are building up, there will be a lot of ammo for trades. Mix in a few free agency signings and that is where the recovery of this team needs to come from. They won't just hand over the reins to the 85 draft picks they've used over the past three years.

They played 3 very good teams to start the season, we'll see if they are in serious contention for last place after tonight's game. Nolan said he thought some players didn't care on WGR this morning. Coming from a coach, that's quite a statement. So whoever gets sent to Rochester or juniors in the near future will be telling. Going to be another long frustrating season, but this team really needs McDavid...

Edited by ricojes

great start so far...i like to see them losing

HOWEVER, the past two games they havent looked terrible overall, they need to stay out of the damn box if they want to compete...both of the last two games were much closer than the final score indicates

The positives so far: some good goaltending, ennis is playing fast and aggressive, reinhart looks to be a solid player who will continue to develop into more of a threat, myers is controlling the puck and not making mind boggling mistakes (also loved to see him punching the dude who cheapshotted him), team looks to have some good leadership

i dont like Nolan, we take too many penalties, and we should continue this trend so we land McDavid

You have to remember, the plan isnt going to just parachute McDavid into this team and expect them to do well.

We have a glut of prospects, most of which arent even playing right now... those that are are firmly in the getting their beaks wet phase and are developing. Reinhart is 18. Look at Grigorenko. He is looking like a top shelf guy now. At 18 he was lost. Lots of those guys will be up next year, some will probably be traded for Vets as we will have a ton of cap space. Not to mention 2 other 1sts this season. You also have to expect the whole team to be better when you dont have Mazeros (sp) and Benoit screwing up everywhere. We also need one of the 6 goalie prospects to emerge in the coming years.

Likely next season will be bad, but much better (like 9th-12th in the Conference)... then after that is the "window".

McDavid so far this season is having a Gretzky-like year. Not saying he is anywhere close, but he lost his linemates and is lighting it up more than ever.

As a few others have responded, the Sabres have the best talent pool of players in the junior and college ranks. Plus, as soon as this next draft is over, I expect Tim Murray will go into free agency with a far different plan than he did this year ( which was to sign some "name" aging players that won't realy add many wins to the record).

Eichel is big, strong and fast and is a sniper. One of the coaches on the USA team said that he hadn't seen his combination of size and talent in a kid that age since Mario Lemieux.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

As a few others have responded, the Sabres have the best talent pool of players in the junior and college ranks. Plus, as soon as this next draft is over, I expect Tim Murray will go into free agency with a far different plan than he did this year ( which was to sign some "name" aging players that won't realy add many wins to the record).

Eichel is big, strong and fast and is a sniper. One of the coaches on the USA team said that he hadn't seen his combination of size and talent in a kid that age since Mario Lemieux.

It's hard to believe, but this team actually isn't too far away from being respectable. If they can get Eichel or McDavid in the next draft, it's go time. Murry is pretty sharp, he's not a fight for 8th place every year king of GM (Darcy). Hit the bottom, acquire draft picks and young talent, then start to build around the young talent. I am excited for the future, but this year will truly suck as a fan...

Excellent - so it sounds like Eichel is one of the generational players, too.

Who else is considered generational - I don't remember Gretzky being drafted because he was in the WHA. But, Mario. Then Turgeon (definitely not what I'm hoping for here). Jagr? Then Crosby and Ovechkin. Were anybody else considered generational or whatever term they might have used then?