A Football Life-Doug Flutie

The league figured him out? Not the way I saw it and shouldn't that blame be on the coaches who clearly didn't want him around or bother to create a playbook that might have used his talents more effectively? No they preferred their way and the utterly useless RJ. That last game of the year win against Indy was a joke and those pointing to it as evidence of RJ greatness need to give their heads a shake.

Yes to the guy who said the Bills are 5 and 1 with time machine Flutie at the helm of this years Team. In today's NFL with read options and spread offense Flutue would have excelled. I am thinking Russell Wilson type of guy.

My opinion. Now if they could just get time machine guards the Bills would be laughing.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he 'did enough to win' argument but truth is that until that last drive RJ looked pretty crummy. No one knows what might have happened with Flutie but considering he was better at playing football I am going to go with he might have had more success. No way to know for sure.

I think that is what fuels Flutie's fans. He was clearly ripped off. He went 8 and 3 and lost in the playoff in a game that he and his team did not play well. He then goes out and wins 10 the next year to be benched. There is no argument that I have heard that will convince me thst RJ gets that start after beating an Indy team that had packed their bags. Then we have Bills supporters that compare him to Aaron Maybin? I remember that team before Flutie got to Buffalo, they were awful. I stand with I don't get the hate.

The league figured him out? Not the way I saw it and shouldn't that blame be on the coaches who clearly didn't want him around or bother to create a playbook that might have used his talents more effectively? No they preferred their way and the utterly useless RJ. That last game of the year win against Indy was a joke and those pointing to it as evidence of RJ greatness need to give their heads a shake.

Yes to the guy who said the Bills are 5 and 1 with time machine Flutie at the helm of this years Team. In today's NFL with read options and spread offense Flutue would have excelled. I am thinking Russell Wilson type of guy.

My opinion. Now if they could just get time machine guards the Bills would be laughing.

If I get an NFL time machine, I'm not thinking for a second about Doug Flutie unless we are betting Canadian football. There is one simple fact about how he was as an NFL qb that can't be argued away.... He couldn't hold a starting job on at least three NFL teams. That is not a sign of greatness or even goodness. End of story.

I think that is the whole debate. He should have kept his job as a starter in Buffalo so......

I am sure the documentary will be enlightening as to the obstacles he faced in New England and Chicago.

Generally speaking NFL coaches are stubborn and unimaginative.

So we are clear, I not pushing him for Canton only that he deserves more respect from Bills fans.

If I get an NFL time machine, I'm not thinking for a second about Doug Flutie unless we are betting Canadian football. There is one simple fact about how he was as an NFL qb that can't be argued away.... He couldn't hold a starting job on at least three NFL teams. That is not a sign of greatness or even goodness. End of story.

That's a right circular argument you got there. And if you're Using SD as an example your agenda's pretty clear.

That's a right circular argument you got there. And if you're Using SD as an example your agenda's pretty clear.

The results are what is pretty clear. I know he's a great overachiever story, made exciting plays occasionally, had the frosted flakes knock off and the Hail Mary thing.... Hot daughter, nice hair and played in a band.....yada yada

But he was 0-4 in securing a starting franchise QB role in the nfl (0-5 if you count the second go with the pats). That's no argument nor an agenda. Just plain fact.

The results are what is pretty clear. I know he's a great overachiever story, made exciting plays occasionally, had the frosted flakes knock off and the Hail Mary thing.... Hot daughter, nice hair and played in a band.....yada yada

But he was 0-4 in securing a starting franchise QB role in the nfl (0-5 if you count the second go with the pats). That's no argument nor an agenda. Just plain fact.

I didn't say he was good in the 80s, although teams choosing not to make a diminutive unconventional QB the face of the franchise doesn't tell me he sucks.

And saying he sucks b/c SD didn't commit to him long term at 40 years old is just !@#$ing stupid. They brought him in at 39 years old to be a stop gap so Breed could sit for a year and that's what he did.

And did you really count not supplanting Tom Brady as the future of NE when he was in his 40s? Really?

So your argument really is that he sucks because his career didn't take off when he first entered the NFL and Ralph Wilson had a little boner for Rob Johnson. Real compelling stuff you got there. I'm sure your Duke law professors would be proud.

According to your logic Kurt Warner narrowly escaped your criteria by latching on in AZ for the last few years of his career.

Misused? Flutie was a game manager but because he was short people wanted to believe he was magical. The truth is he was medicore. I can say this now as a Flutie hater and RJ supporter. yes Flutie was a better QB than RJ. Yet to me the issue wasn't that it was seeing if RJ could become better on the field but we'll never know. As everyone wants to forget RJ's games against the Rams and 49ers before the famed bootleg. I mean if the Bills D doesn't fall apart late against the Rams the Bills would have had a 2 game winning streak under RJ but people want to forget about that.

So all the other games RJ pissed away didnt count? Our D was why he won what? 6 games in his career? RJ was unable to get even first downs, much less wins, he couldnt avoid a sack every third play, not to mention injury because he was brittle. your saying a bad D was the reason RJ didnt get a fair shot? How bout his years after the Bills where RJ got the boot almost as fast as the ink could dry wherever he signed? So RJ didnt get a fair shot there either? How about the entire season post Flutie where we won what 3 games? Van Pelt took over and actually out played him. RJ was a selfish piece of crap and the worst player to ever play QB for us ( besides Trint ) Some peoples logic is laughable

RJ did help give the Bills the lead in TN before the Miracle right?

NO, that is called playing "prevent" in the final minute when the QB had thrown a whopping 70 yards and taken 5 sacks and 0 TDs in 4 quarters of football. RJ "helped us" stay behind in a game we should have steamrolled the opponent in...the two TDs we had were long runs by Smith btw.

You just cannot admit you are wrong. The "cornerstone" of your points were based on myths. The Colts played their starters. Too bad it doesn't fit the fantasy you want to believe.

i had really good seats for that game and at the time, it didn't look like pre-season intensity to me....but in retrospect it probably was. anyway, RJ totally lit them up, but once they got down, the colts just quit.

my girlfriend and i were wandering around the lower concourse after the game and ran into John Butler and a couple of other higher ups. I made him stop and take a picture and he was just happy as a clam. he put hs arm around her and made some crack about her being to good looking for me (not unreasonable) which was hilarious to me, because wait...an NFL gm is hitting on my girlfriend? wtf?!

i forgave him and walked out of there completely stoked we finally had a QB. i still have the picture and it's a little sad to look at now that he's gone.

I was on the RJ side in the shiitstorm that followed, but everyone needs to just hug and admit they were both pretty bad. God bless em both, but RJ had no pocket awareness AT ALL and once the league figured out Flutie it was over for him.

and still, we had them beat.

Edited by jester43

Well, you're batting .333, but that's enough to lead the league some years.

I'd also like to point out that the Bills running game wasn't much during that time either. Decent power running, but below average overall.

Then how do you explain him winning 6 of his last 8 before being replaced?

Your love has blinded you.

Jets 34 Bills 12 Flutie was neutralized and figured out. Nice run while it lasted.

Uh, where was the vaunted game-winning Defense in this game?

Flutie. I'll never forgive his fumble in Miami in the playoffs. Cost us the game.

FAIL.

That's all flutie ever was.

Did you forgive Moulds for his....or Andre for his completely moronic meltdown? Edited by Garranimal

Year 2000 was the start of all that was bad for Bills fans. We unceremoniously released the core three of Smith, Thomas and Reed all on the same day, effectively insuring that free agents would not want to come play for the Bills for many years. We handed the keys of the franchise to Rob Johnson that year, and boy, we have not looked back ever since. The two consistent features of Bills teams in the 21st century have been bad Olines and piss poor QB play.

That's the REAL Flutie Curse.

OK, that was water up the nose. Well done.

I did. The 99 team has the lowest yards/play in team history, 4.3. Better than the 85 bears and far better than the 64 or 65 bills. Tied with 00 ravens. All gone to waste because the little guy couldn't throw.

As someone who watched every game of the '99 season - that was one of the best defenses I've ever personally seen. I'm not old enough to have seen the '65 D, but I've certainly seen the '85 Bears and the Bills' D in 1999 was damn near as scary. Oh, to have a safety like Henry Jones again...

Edited by Mike B. in VA