A Football Life-Doug Flutie

I am not sure this is something a can be quantified you either believe it or you do not. I can certainly see where the situation in the locker room would have created tension and the Salary, investment and promise of Johnson was not conducive to putting the best player on the field. And as such would have upset Flutie and other players. But to believe one side over another is a situation like that seems illogical.

Is there any articles in which Flutie goes out of his way to call out Johnson(or any other player)? Because the Gleeson piece looks to be just the reverse so, why would anyone respect that player as opposed the one who kept his mouth shut?

Also, this sort of thing happens in the NFL I believe Warner came out and told Leinhart he should be playing ahead of him. So, why place so much judgement on Flutie for a similar belief?

Reminds me of Mcgahee saying he wanted to be traded if he had to play behind Travis Henry.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of Mcgahee saying he wanted to be traded if he had to play behind Travis Henry.

I just read this quote and thought it was very appropriate for the conversation we are having:

As with any retelling of history, memories and accuracy differ from person to person, and this account is no different.

This is why taking any side without being a participant in such things is a fools errand. One just does not know the truth and probably never will. Most likely one will pick whichever side cements a position already held.

i.e. Flutie is not a good QB, I will believe Johnson or Johnson says "Um" too much, I will believe Flutie.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

• 2 months later...

Finally got the opportunity to watch this. Very interesting. I knew Flutie was successful in the CFL but I had no idea how much he dominated. Many awesome highlights with every team he played for. Whatever you think of Flutie personally it was amazing how often he got a raw deal. What Buffalo did to him a few times was unreal. I definitely think we would have enjoyed better fortune against the Titans - Flutie was too lucky to ever have that game go against him like that if he was the QB! He also got ripped off by the Bears after proving he could play. In today's NFL I think his skills would have been better appreciated.

Isn't this the 15th anniversary of the Music City Miracle? After Ryan Lindley & Andy Dalton's performances this weekend, they stack up closely to what Rob Johnson did vs. Tennessee that Saturday. Remember how dominant the Bills defense was that day? Stave McNair threw for 76 yards and won!!!!! That first half was as bad as any I remember and that was a game the Bills should have won 24-6 with only competent QBíng.

Everytime I would hear the Coach (on WGR) or people here claim RJ left the field leading, I cringe......

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001080oti.htm

Edited by Billsfan1972

Isn't this the 15th anniversary of the Music City Miracle? After Ryan Lindley & Andy Dalton's performances this weekend, they stack up closely to what Rob Johnson did vs. Tennessee that Saturday. Remember how dominant the Bills defense was that day? Stave McNair threw for 76 yards and won!!!!! That first half was as bad as any I remember and that was a game the Bills should have won 24-6 with only competent QBíng.

Everytime I would hear the Coach (on WGR) or people here claim RJ left the field leading, I cringe......

They had a segment on the Music City Nightmare on NFL AM this morning. As soon as they started showing the footage from that play, I switched channels.

"Everytime I would hear the Coach (on WGR) or people here claim RJ left the field leading, I cringe……" I'm the same way. Johnson was garbage for 58 minutes of that game and played good on that final drive, but that seems to be the only thing people remember from that game.

got to see it, it was ok, did he do good, yes, did his play mask defects on the OL, yes, but the thing that frosted my nuts, was the interview he did on Canadian TV, and when he was called on it he denied ripping the coaching staff on Titan's game(he would have won), so for what good he brought he

also push the Bills backwards for future success, just like Deadsole, both had short term success, that translated into long term poor Bills teams, top teams in NFL don't band aid their defects, sadly Bills management hasn't learned that lesson

got to see it, it was ok, did he do good, yes, did his play mask defects on the OL, yes, but the thing that frosted my nuts, was the interview he did on Canadian TV, and when he was called on it he denied ripping the coaching staff on Titan's game(he would have won), so for what good he brought he

also push the Bills backwards for future success, just like Deadsole, both had short term success, that translated into long term poor Bills teams, top teams in NFL don't band aid their defects, sadly Bills management hasn't learned that lesson

The main problem a lot of fans (including myself) was that the Bills did not play their best QB [Flutie] and the team lost because of it. Was Flutie a HOF NFL QB…No, but he was better than Johnson. For those that would disagree with that point, look at the win-loss record of both QB's when they were on the Bills. Flutie won over 20 games as a starting QB for the Bills while Johnson didn't even have 10 wins as a starter.

That first half may have been as bad as any I ever witnessed from an offensive standpoint...... Just because I had to I revisited the play by play and RJ was sacked 4Xs, lost a fumble, sacked for a safety (fumbled but recovered) and Tennessee scored after the it and completed a 15 yard pass on 3rd & 21 and a 14 yard pass on 3rd & 17 to pad his statistics.

When Flutie did not come out to start the third quarter, it was obvious that the decision to play RJ was Ralph Wilson's.

I shouldn't have but I went through every play. Why the hell did the Bills kick that last field goal on 2nd down with 20 seconds left? That's so stupid. The clock was stopped. Run the ball there or even kneel. And then spike it so the field goal is the last play of the game.

Unbelievable.