What do the Bills do for a fix at guard now?

If Williams is healthy enough to play, which I doubt, has Richardson done enough to move to RG and send Pears to the bench?

Hard to believe Urbik would not be better than Pears at this point.

I posted before I would rather just put Williams on IR and sign another player.

I also posted Bills should trade Hughes for Boone but I will take that back. Even though there is little chance Hughes comes back next year he is playing great football right now.

Did anyone see any Hairston snaps at RG? Was he really that bad?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have hopes for Richardson progressing but I am not sold on it completely. Either way we need two guards and our best option would be FA this off season.

The following all have contracts ending after this season: Brandon Fusco (Who I think will resign in Minne'), Dan Connolly and Mike Iupati.

One name for you on the FA guard list:

Clint Boling

I feel like Richardson is doing better than anyone else so far at left guard... curious why Pears is in at right guard instead of Urbik, though. Either way, there's no instant solution here, it'll need to be addressed during the offseason.

Marrone said he likes Richardson more on the left side so I wouldn't expect him to move over. I still can't fathom why we didn't at least attempt to give Kouandjio some burn at guard during camp.

Two reasons come to mind:

1) When a rookie is already having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game, you want to simplify things for them; a position switch does the opposite.

2) Kouandjio's relative stiffness and immobility does not bode well for a guy that will have to pivot, pull, and redirect at guard.

Is there a difference between RG and LG the way there is for tackles? (Yeah, my football Xs and Os is limited.)

kj

In some cases, yes. Teams that like to pull their guards will typically put their most athletic guard on the right side, figuring they can use a TE to help the RT on sweeps and Power leads.

Zone blocking teams will often use a more athletic guy on the left side so that he's a better cutter.

Stick with Richardson. He'll get it eventually.

Agreed. I think Richardson will be a quality Guard and will be the answer to one of the two G spots. I think Urbik is fine for the other. But it seems it won't happen because Marrone has a hard on against Urbik. So....what is the other Guard answer?? On a similar note. I like Whaley a lot! But Williams was a terrible signing. I think Marrone was in Whaley's ear on this one. His play was very questionable when they signed him....but his health has the same issues as it did when he was drafted. Why pay top money for someone who is questionable at playing AND staying healthy. IR Williams.

Trade Spiller for a good G.

I think Spiller's production could easily be replaced, especially with an improvement at G. Spiller doesn't help us win too much and the play of our Gs may cost us the playoffs.

Spiller is likely gone in the offseason so maybe make the trade now for a G that could help for a few years.