At this point, does anyone think we keep Spiller?

Big C

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller needs to be used the right way. Give him space and he is good as gone. Behind our OL he doesn't have a chance. Trade him to a team with a decent OL and he's AP. FJ is a better fit for our team right now. 3 yards and power forward for another. Love the guy! Chan knew how to use Spiller and get him some space. I wouldn't quite say he's situational, or one dimensional, but close....Decent OL and this team could go places...

There is no space in the NFL. So the space argument is a joke. He has no idea where to go….other than wide.

I was not at all impressed with CJ today, but that does not mean he has no value. Extend him now for a reasonable contract or let him go and take the compensatory.

There is no space in the NFL. So the space argument is a joke. He has no idea where to go….other than wide.

I was not at all impressed with CJ today, but that does not mean he has no value. Extend him now for a reasonable contract or let him go and take the compensatory.

Sounds logical.

The Pro-Spiller crowd's ideal gameplan

Step 1. Run a screen pass or sweep every play.

Step 2. Spiller gets 300 yards on offense

Step 3. Win.

It's so simple, why can't Hackett figure it out!

Edited by FireChan

Step 3. Win.

those screens will only work if Hackett gets him in space.

Step 3. Win.

I consider myself in the pro-Spiller crowd. In that I think he can be very effective in the right offenses.

In this offense? Not so much... we need power backs for this offense.

After an uninspiring start to the season, Spiller easily had his worst game in as long as I remember. I know the Lions D is good, but I watched Fred get the tough yards like always and CJ go nowhere. He missed a crucial blitz pickup and nearly cost us a safety.

I know Bryce Brown is the alleged replacement for CJ, but the FO has expressed interest in keeping him. What are the odds now we keep CJ? Does anyone think we try to trade him? What is he worth?

I know this has been ongoing talk here at TSW, but this was the least inspiring performance I've seen from him in a long, long time. It can't just be Hackett.

CJ is akin to a wideout and a terrible QB. He needs a coordinator that has some freaking ingenuity & competence !!!!

How can an OC not design his offense to the strength of your game breakers? If he wants 3 yds & a cloud of dust, that's idiotic to even design that for CJ. We've seen what he can do with someone who knows how to design an approach.

Case in point, Andy Reid goes to KC and continued to design his running attack around the strength of J. Charles. Hackett needs to go, IMO. His approach and playcalling is so pop warner-ish it's ridiculous. He doesn't have a clue how to setup or attack a defense at all. CJ needs to be in a multi- WR set or used as Sproles, Charles or even Forte mold...

On that pick 6, the OC never set up the deep pass to even try that curl by Watkins. Hackett has a birds eye's view from the booth but still didn't recognize or understand how to setup the DB to make that play work. He's in way over his head, IMO.

How many red flags do you need? Not signed yet, FJax extension, Bryce Brown trade, reportedly wanted to draft Carlos Hyde. They've done everything short of ceasing sale of his jersey on BB.com. Actually I haven't checked that.

Edited by BuffOrange

Ah!!!!

Sucks to say I told you so. Well, kinda sucks.

9 carries for 8 yards today pretty much says it all. But if you don't believe in stats, then maybe you believe in CJ half assing a shoulder shiv to Palmer who almost killed Orton, almost caused a fumble or a safety. Good Job CJ.

If you didn't learn everything you needed there, how about the multiple times where CJ got the ball out to the outside (in space???) and gets caught for a loss. Here's news for everyone that claims to have "watched him in college"... ITS NOT COLLEGE ANYMORE, the NFL players, especially the LBs are much better, faster, and smarter than what CJ can handle.

If that didn't float your boat today, how about the play on the 2nd last drive with about 4 minutes left where we are trying to burn the clock down a little in case we can't convert and CJ runs out of bounds and stops the clock yet again.

Always making the wrong decision about being in or out of bounds. Always running into the backs of his linemen (why doesn't Freddy have this issue?), always getting caught for 0-2 yards when he breaks it to the outside.

For those that still make excuses for this kid, I feel sorry for you. Your love fest is going to hurt someday when it all sinks in.

General Manager Doug Whaley said in an interview on WGR Tuesday morning that he has had a sit-down meeting with Spiller's representatives and let them know that the Bills would like to continue the relationship.

"He's a playmaker, and we're trying to keep as many playmakers as possible" Whaley said, via the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/bills-open-contract-talks-with-c-j-spiller/

Edited by papazoid

I want the Bills to trade CJ just so he can excel on another team. It just seems like such a waste watching him run into the line for one yard over and over again.

The problem with Spiller is that he lacks vision. Even when there is a hole, he either makes the wrong cut or tries to bounce outside where there is nothing. The only way to make him productive is in the passing game. Get him the ball when he's already outside and let him use his speed. I agree that trying to run him between the tackles is fruitless.

I think it's premature to say. Our best back is the oldest RB in the NFL. There's a very good chance he doesn't make it through this season and an even better chance that this season is his last.

I will agree that CJ has been somewhat disappointing this year; but his career has not been disappointing.

I don't think he's a "featured back," by any means, due to his inability to pound it up the middle when necessary.

I've never believed in over-paying a RB. Any RB. Invest in your O-line and you can make an average RB a great one.

That said ... it's all about money. I think Whaley's proven that he's not gonna just throw cash at a guy just because he's been good - or even great. It's not about what have you done; it's about what are you gonna do AFTER you get paid.

For the right price, I would love to see CJ stay. Fred's days are numbered and Brown could be HIS replacement more than CJ's. But no RB is worth over-paying, so if the right price isn't there, buh-bye.

Ah!!!!

Sucks to say I told you so. Well, kinda sucks.

9 carries for 8 yards today pretty much says it all.

Still too early to be telling anyone anything. And DET has one of the best defenses in the NFL. Not an excuse; an explanation. There is a difference. I'd like to let the season play out.

Still too early to be telling anyone anything. And DET has one of the best defenses in the NFL. Not an excuse; an explanation. There is a difference. I'd like to let the season play out.

keep telling yourself whatever you need, to make it feel better.

I know he's in the last year of his deal and it's a forgone conclusion he will not be a Bill next year anyway, but should we see what we can get from a team that could better utilize his "talents". Besides the KO return vs. Miami, this kid isn't providing much for this team, especially running out of the backfield for negative plays or 1 yard gains. Thoughts?