Robert Woods on Siruis

stevewin

Woods was on Sirius NFL Radio this afternoon (Rich Gannon and Bruce Murray). Caught it in my car, below is from notes I jottted on my phone from memory when I stopped. Nothing earth shattering.

- Begain (of course) with EJ/Orton. With regard to Orton was basically a word for word rehash of his quotes to the BN about presence in the huddle etc.

- He was 'shocked' about EJ benching - then went on and tried to say nice things about him (notable in contrast to his demeanor on the field on Sun). Get the feeling players are getting coached on the 'proper response' to the media regarding EJ and the benching. Said EJ is handling well, 'still a leader and confident' - but also knows he needs to learn more

- They kind of tried to bait him with question (a crap question?) about was it frustrating to be open and not get the ball, seemed like multiple times Sun EJ was just looking over one side of the field and people were open in other areas. Said of course it was frustrating, as it would be for anyone who wanted to get the opportunity to make a play and help the team win (thought that was a good answer)

- In response to how Marrone told the team, said it was short and simple - he just told the team he talked to EJ and told him he wasn't starting anymore and that was basically it

- Team morale is high and team is confdent

- Asked about how he has improved from year one he said mostly his knowledge of the playbook. As far as continuing to improve, do more to help the team win, make plays

- Asked about EJs development, he said it would have helped for EJ to have someone with experience guiding/mentoring him at the beginning. Other things like dropped passes and other people around him not doing well didn't help him

- Regarding chemistry with Orton said his experience helps a lot, so not as big a transition, they are ready to go on Sun. Also mentioned something similar to what Watkins said about need to be ready for ball coming out faster

- Regarding Detroit they asked if team needed to shorten the passing game given Detroit DL, he said no they just need to play their game - attack down deep, block safeties coming down low in box to spring RBs. Get open fast

- Haven't really heard him speak much and might have just caught him on a bad day, but didn't impress me as the most eloquent guy in the world - missed some things he mumbled through

Edited by stevewin

- Haven't really heard him speak much and might have just caught him on a bad day, but didn't impress me as the most eloquent guy in the world - missed some things he mumbled through

So much for that USC education!

Play well. Stay in the league. Save your money so you're not the next Warren Sapp. If you can't speak and schmooze, you can't be the next Warren Sapp, and really, no one should be the next Warren Sapp.

Um who really cares if he's a good interviewer? He only needs to be a good football player.

Such a ridiculous world we live in.

It's like saying, "That chef makes great food but he's obviously an idiot because he can't mix a good margarita".

Also just to add on, who cares if he's highly educated either? He makes a ton of money playing football, if he wants more education then it's up to him.

Just to use a similar analogy to the one above- Do you care if your mechanic has his GED if he's great at fixing your car? I'm guessing not too many people leave their preferred local garage laughing at how dumb the guy who just fixed their car for them is because they themselves couldn't do it(mostly because their masters in sociology means nothing in the world of auto mechanics).

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed