atlas shrugged fans

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question, IMO. How old were people here when they first read the Godless, hypocritical, selfish and immature mess that is Rand? I am hoping older, at least they would have a fighting chance to see through her literary schlock. She's like The Manson Family, crack cocaine, Fabio bodice ripper for young libertarian men all rolled up in one. If one is going to take philosophy from a sociopath, stick with DCTom.

:-P

And your climatology knowledge comes from articles in Business Week. You are the goddamn poster boy for ignorance.

I wonder how he feels about people taking medical decisions based on wikipedia or webmd?

I haven't read the book or seen this week's John Oliver. So, speaking from a position of authority, I can confidently say that this thread is quite entertaining.

Quite entertaining indeed is the hero worship of a woman who eventually went on to collect social security under still another name, neither her birth name or second name. America sure is the land of opportunity. Ding! The Ayn Rand Hotpocket is ready! Reality eventually caught up with her:

http://www.alternet.org/story/149721/ayn_rand_railed_against_government_benefits,_but_grabbed_social_security_and_medicare_when_she_needed_them

Ayn Rand Railed Against Government Benefits, But Grabbed Social Security and Medicare When She Needed Them

At least she put up a fight before succumbing to the imperatives of the real world

Her books provided wide-ranging parables of "parasites," "looters" and "moochers" using the levers of government to steal the fruits of her heroes' labor. In the real world, however, Rand herself received Social Security payments and Medicare benefits under the name of Ann O'Connor (her husband was Frank O'Connor).

As Michael Ford of Xavier University's Center for the Study of the American Dream wrote, “In the end, Miss Rand was a hypocrite but she could never be faulted for failing to act in her own self-interest.”

Her ideas about government intervention in some idealized pristine marketplace serve as the basis for so much of the conservative rhetoric we see today. “The reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand,” said Paul Ryan, the GOP's young budget star at a D.C. event honoring the author. On another occasion, he proclaimed, “Rand makes the best case for the morality of democratic capitalism.”

“Morally and economically,” wrote Rand in a 1972 newsletter, “the welfare state creates an ever accelerating downward pull.”

Journalist Patia Stephens wrote of Rand:

[she] called altruism a “basic evil” and referred to those who perpetuate the system of taxation and redistribution as “looters” and “moochers.” She wrote in her book “The Virtue of Selfishness” that accepting any government controls is “delivering oneself into gradual enslavement.”

Rand also believed that the scientific consensus on the dangers of tobacco was a hoax. By 1974, the two-pack-a-day smoker, then 69, required surgery for lung cancer. And it was at that moment of vulnerability that she succumbed to the lure of collectivism..."

And your climatology knowledge comes from articles in Business Week. You are the goddamn poster boy for ignorance.

you more than likely get your denier info from some hired gun "researcher"

and you are a rude mechanical :nana:

Edited by birdog1960

if you adopt a philosophy it's a reasonable expectation that you are well informed about it.

That could be the case for someone who has adopted a philosophy. The fact that you've assumed I have adopted that philosophy is quite a leap. Do you practice medicine the same way?

That could be the case for someone who has adopted a philosophy. The fact that you've assumed I have adopted that philosophy is quite a leap. Do you practice medicine the same way?

"No most of us fanboys realize that we don't have to be in that number to have a great life. I don't give a **** if money flows up or down. I know the money that flows to me is 100% my responsibility. See that's the selfishness that Rand was referring to." what, exactly was meant by the word "fanboy" in your statement here. you all are shameless. i think it's a rand thing.

"No most of us fanboys realize that we don't have to be in that number to have a great life. I don't give a **** if money flows up or down. I know the money that flows to me is 100% my responsibility. See that's the selfishness that Rand was referring to." what, exactly was meant by the word "fanboy" in your statement here. you all are shameless. i think it's a rand thing.

Fanboy was your word. I was mocking you.

Quite entertaining indeed is the hero worship of a woman who eventually went on to collect social security under still another name, neither her birth name or second name. America sure is the land of opportunity. Ding! The Ayn Rand Hotpocket is ready! Reality eventually caught up with her:

http://www.alternet....she_needed_them

Ayn Rand Railed Against Government Benefits, But Grabbed Social Security and Medicare When She Needed Them

At least she put up a fight before succumbing to the imperatives of the real world

Her books provided wide-ranging parables of "parasites," "looters" and "moochers" using the levers of government to steal the fruits of her heroes' labor. In the real world, however, Rand herself received Social Security payments and Medicare benefits under the name of Ann O'Connor (her husband was Frank O'Connor).

Sounds like most Conservative voters. Especially the (majority) over 65 collecting government benefits and voting to cut government, Or the 20 year vets that have full government benefits

that was very clever....and unconvincing.

Gee I'm sorry I didn't convince you. It is quite hilarious though that you give me **** for "adopting her philosophy" without having read the book but you can heavily critique that philosophy when you haven't read it either.

Sounds like most Conservative voters. Especially the (majority) over 65 collecting government benefits and voting to cut government, Or the 20 year vets that have full government benefits

and we don't want no stinkin socialized medicine....but don't touch my mdeicare! would be interesting to know if the gov't paid any of rands medical bills later in life.

Gee I'm sorry I didn't convince you. It is quite hilarious though that you give me **** for "adopting her philosophy" without having read the book but you can heavily critique that philosophy when you haven't read it either.

so, tell me where i'm wrong in summarizing her philosophy.

and we don't want no stinkin socialized medicine....but don't touch my mdeicare! would be interesting to know if the gov't paid any of rands medical bills later in life.

you're both being deliberately disingenuous here, since you're aware that seniors have been paying all their working lives into both social security and medicare, believing the government when they were told that those funds withheld from their paychecks are actually going into specific programs to help support them in their autumn years - that they would actually be getting their money back. social security and medicare are sold to people as being something completely different from welfare or general assistance, despite the fact that the money collected goes directly into the general fund.

with regard to veterans, those that received an honorable discharge or made a career of service to the country deserve much more than they get, IMO.

you're both being deliberately disingenuous here, since you're aware that seniors have been paying all their working lives into both social security and medicare, believing the government when they were told that those funds withheld from their paychecks are actually going into specific programs to help support them in their autumn years - that they would actually be getting their money back. social security and medicare are sold to people as being something completely different from welfare or general assistance, despite the fact that the money collected goes directly into the general fund.

with regard to veterans, those that received an honorable discharge or made a career of service to the country deserve much more than they get, IMO.

As if the average medicare patient doesn't get 10 times out of the government what they put in. Unless, of course, they die at 66

The vets? 95 percent are in the rear with the gear and only work 20 years? That's a deal! They should be thankful for that

In any event, they are the last people that should be crying over the size of government or screaming that giving health care to the poor will destroy the country. Get a big blender and dump them in it

it's not disingeuous to point out the hypocrisy. medicare recipients get much more out on average than they put in. while it's unsustainable in the long term, that's the way it is. but railing against it while simutaneously benefitting is disingenuous. Edited by birdog1960

it's not disingeuous to point out the hypocrisy. medicare recipients get much more out on average than they put in. while it's unsustainable in the long term, that's the way it is. but railing against it while simutaneously benefitting is disingenuous.

Horseshit. As long as there is forced participation in the system, it's not disingenuous at all.

I took a little break from PPP and see that in my absence birddog has found ways to embarrass himself even more. Linking an article which dismisses Ayn Rand economic views because the characters weren't compelling enough and the prose not as beautiful as Dostoevsky. Great work.