atlas shrugged fans

since you obviously haven't watched the clip, her opening quote: "why is it good to want others to be happy? you can make others happy when and if it means something to you selfishly". is this not an accurate distillation of objectivism? if not then offer your take on its theme

And there's your answer Tom. He has not read Atlas Shrugged but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and watched a 3 minute YouTube video with some quotes from Rand.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've seen the movies and read condensed versions of the text. it's not that profound. i wouldn't subject myself willingly to that torture. the movies were dreadful not only in production value but thematically. nevertheless, her points are rather obvious.

so what about the quote. how would you state the central tenets of objectivism?

Edited by birdog1960

i've seen the movies and read condensed versions of the text. it's not that profound. i wouldn't subject myself willingly to that torture. the movies were dreadful not only in production value but thematically. nevertheless, her points are rather obvious.

so what about the quote. how would you state the central tents of objectivism?

So you're relying on Hollywwod's interpretation of the book to form your opinion. Bravo!

You'd fail an elementary school book report with the "work" you've put it, yet you feel well enough versed on the subject to harshly critique an entire philosophy?

Further, you've failed (miserably) in addressing the fact that the only people speaking about Objectivism are you and John Oliver. The rest of us are talking about capitalism.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

So you're relying on Hollywwod's interpretation of the book to form your opinion. Bravo!

i think i can understand the concepts of objectivism. they're not that difficult. pretty much "i'll do what makes me feel good. everyone else should do the same. conflicts in those pursuits are not to be resolved by any other power. no one should get in the way of my happiness". tell me where i'm wrong and why i need 2 read any of her books to understand it better.

You'd fail an elementary school book report with the "work" you've put it, yet you feel well enough versed on the subject to harshly critique an entire philosophy?

Further, you've failed (miserably) in addressing the fact that the only people speaking about Objectivism are you and John Oliver. The rest of us are talking about capitalism.

do you not attribute the philosophy to rand? does it not influence her opinions on other matters including capitalism? Edited by birdog1960

i think i can understand the concepts of objectivism. there not that difficult. pretty much "i'll do what makes me feel good. everyone else should do the same. conflicts in those pursuits are not to be resolved by any other power. no one should get in the way of my happiness". tell me where i'm wrong and why i need 2 read any of her books to understand it better.

do you not attribute the philosophy to rand? does it not influence her opinions on other matters including capitalism?

Only a fool, sorry a tool, starts a thread to ridicule fans of a book they themselves have not read.

Only a fool, sorry a tool, starts a thread to ridicule fans of a book they themselves have not read.

only a fool (or weak minded individual)refutes an argument with an insult. especially if they consider themselves experts on the subject. Edited by birdog1960

only a fool (or weak minded individual)refutes an argument with an insult. especially if they consider themselves experts on the subject.

An expert?? I've not even read the book! So I guess that gives me the right to insult you !@#$ing dumbass.

An expert?? I've not even read the book! So I guess that gives me the right to insult you !@#$ing dumbass.

really? didn't you claim upthread that you espouse her philosophy even without direct benefit to you (which on it's face seems counter to the philosophy)? yet you're not an expert. curious... Edited by birdog1960

really? didn't you claim upthread that you espouse her philosophy even without direct benefit to you (which on it's face seems counter to the philosophy)? yet you're not an expert. curious...

Nope. And even if I did espouse her philosophy it hardly makes me an expert.

Edited by Chef Jim

I asked you this question:

'why do you find it necessary to accuse people of wanting others to suffer just because they don't believe it's good to have a massive central authority? '

you replied with this:

what would the natural outcome be (and has historically been) to unfettered free markets for labor? ignorance is not a defense..

I will reword the question:

what is it about people that believe in limited government that leads you to believe that they desire to see anyone suffer?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I asked you this question:

'why do you find it necessary to accuse people of wanting others to suffer just because they don't believe it's good to have a massive central authority? '

you replied with this:

I will reword the question:

what is it about people that believe in limited government that leads you to believe that they desire to see anyone suffer?

intent is not salient. outcomes are.

intent is not salient. outcomes are.

that's still a non-answer, but I'll run with it.

since intent is not salient, why continue to support a welfare system that has not changed the percentage of people in poverty to any significant extent since it was implemented? can you hold your own beliefs to the same standards you apply to others?

Edited by Azalin

I have no idea how you made it out of med school.

never in question.

that's still a non-answer, but I'll run with it.

since intent is not salient, why continue to support a welfare system that has not changed the percentage of people in poverty to any significant extent since it was implemented? can you hold your own beliefs to the same standards you apply to others?

it's a question of degree. ever been to a 3rd world country?

a more direct answer: i never accused anybody of wanting others to suffer. i do believe it is at times a consequence of their beliefs. call it willful or even accidental indifference.

Nope. And even if I did espouse her philosophy it hardly makes me an expert.

if you adopt a philosophy it's a reasonable expectation that you are well informed about it. Edited by birdog1960

so what about the quote. how would you state the central tenets of objectivism?

Ding! Hot pockets are done. The saddest part of your entire act is that you're one of the higher information liberals.

it's a question of degree. ever been to a 3rd world country?

I have. Likely a significant number more than you. Each has a government that is more towards your political bent with very little resembling a free market. I'm sure that's your point, right hypocrite?

And your climatology knowledge comes from articles in Business Week. You are the goddamn poster boy for ignorance.