atlas shrugged fans

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.openculture.com/2014/06/flannery-oconnor-friends-dont-let-friends-read-ayn-rand-1960.html

Friends don't let freinds read Ayn Rand:

"...I hope you don’t have friends who recommend Ayn Rand to you. The fiction of Ayn Rand is as low as you can get re fiction. I hope you picked it up off the floor of the subway and threw it in the nearest garbage pail. She makes Mickey Spillane look like Dostoevsky..."

"...[Victor] Hugo gives me the feeling of entering a cathedral–Dostoevsky gives me the feeling of entering a chamber of horrors, but with a powerful guide–Spillane gives me the feeling of listening to a military band in a public park–Tolstoy gives me the feeling of an unsanitary backyard which I do not care to enter.” All of which goes to show that Ayn Rand’s literary taste was no better than her literature."

That was !@#$ing hilarious! :rolleyes:

Next are we going to post SNL skits to make our politcal points?

well, she is kinda cartoonish…i'm thinking an ugly version of natasha from bullwinkle. to be fair though, there are real people talking in oliver's video. real stupid people. Edited by birdog1960

Can you speak to the capitalist themes of Atlas Shrugged, and explain how they are incorrect?

You know how you'll know when capitalist themes are incorrect?

When walruses are sitting on sand instead of ice, that's when.

translation: one of the biggest and most visible public supporters has disavowed her beliefs. he would be a better source of reference than someone who has considered it bs all along.

You !@#$ing moron.

Paul Ryan was making a distinction between subscribing to Objectivism, Ayn Rand's philosophy, and his actual positions. This doesn't mean that he's disavowed capitalism, or that he doesn't find the capitalist themes of Atlas Shrugged to be illustrative and powerful.

Objectivism is a philosophy that is in opposition, on many levels, to libertarianism, and compasionate conservatism; though they do share a belief in capitalism and freedom of association as the driving engines of society. Rand does a remarkable job of making this point in Atlas, which is why the work is embraced in those circles. It does not, however, make those who find this work to be moving, Objectivist.

All this thread has served to accomplish is to demonstrate that you're woefully unqualified to speak to the differences and overlaps between any number of "conservative" philosophies; and expose John Oliver as either ignorant, or intentionally obsfucating.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

translation: one of the biggest and most visible public supporters has disavowed her beliefs. he would be a better source of reference than someone who has considered it bs all along.

He's a !@#$ing politician they change their support as often as they change their underwear. So to echo TYTT why do you consider it BS?

He's a !@#$ing politician they change their support as often as they change their underwear. So to echo TYTT why do you consider it BS?

as orton said, it's a crappy question. it presupposes that the themes are capitalist. drop the labels and describe it as it is. a society built on selfishness alone. not sustainable- simple as that. we are seeing it in action right now. all the wealth flows into a few hands. surprisingly, not likely including the hands of many rand supporters. judging from fanboys here there's no lack of misplaced confidence in believers that some day they'll be in that number (when the saints go marching in). oops, a religious reference- forboden! Edited by birdog1960

as orton said, it's a crappy question. it presupposes that the themes are capitalist. drop the labels and describe it as it is. a society built on selfishness alone. not sustainable- simple as that. we are seeing it in action right now. all the wealth flows into a few hands. surprisingly, not likely including the hands of many rand supporters. judging from fanboys here there's no lack of misplaced confidence in believers that some day they'll be in that number (when the saints go marching in). oops, a religious reference- forboden!

No most of us fanboys realize that we don't have to be in that number to have a great life. I don't give a **** if money flows up or down. I know the money that flows to me is 100% my responsibility. See that's the selfishness that Rand was referring to.

as orton said, it's a crappy question. it presupposes that the themes are capitalist. drop the labels and describe it as it is. a society built on selfishness alone. not sustainable- simple as that. we are seeing it in action right now. all the wealth flows into a few hands. surprisingly, not likely including the hands of many rand supporters. judging from fanboys here there's no lack of misplaced confidence in believers that some day they'll be in that number (when the saints go marching in). oops, a religious reference- forboden!

This is ignorant and wrong on so many levels.