Buffalo fans, and their love for the backup QB.

Major Mud

Now that everyone got their wish and Orton is the new starting quarterback, who will the backup be? It can't be EJ? Everyone in Buffalo always wants the backup to start. So the next guy we sign off the street, has to be the next golden arm messiah! Unless Orton goes 25-30 with 300+ yards and 3 TDs in his first game there will be people bitching about him to be benched. Personally I have nothing against Orton he has always been a serviceable QB. But I think most fans have the " grass is always greener " mentality. This goes back farther then EJ. Start Jackson over Fitz, start Edwards over Losman, start Flutie over Johnson. Etc, etc. I even remember when Kelly would get hurt, people thought Reich should stay the starter.....lol...Ahh yes the cult hero that is the backup QB in Buffalo. Where's Kelly Holcomb when you need him?

Now that everyone got their wish and Orton is the new starting quarterback, who will the backup be? It can't be EJ? Everyone in Buffalo always wants the backup to start. So the next guy we sign off the street, has to be the next golden arm messiah! Unless Orton goes 25-30 with 300+ yards and 3 TDs in his first game there will be people bitching about him to be benched. Personally I have nothing against Orton he has always been a serviceable QB. But I think most fans have the " grass is always greener " mentality. This goes back farther then EJ. Start Jackson over Fitz, start Edwards over Losman, start Flutie over Johnson. Etc, etc. I even remember when Kelly would get hurt, people thought Reich should stay the starter.....lol...Ahh yes the cult hero that is the backup QB in Buffalo. Where's Kelly Holcomb when you need him?

It's the same freaking treadmill since Kelly retired. Sooooo dam painful. Now we are hoping the guy benched by Tebow delivers. Ugh this team kills me.

Lamonica?

It's the same freaking treadmill since Kelly retired. Sooooo dam painful. Now we are hoping the guy benched by Tebow delivers. Ugh this team kills me.

In fairness the only reason I believe he was benched in Denver was the fact that Tebow was a first round pick. I mean was Tebow better then Orton? I'd have to say no. Josh McDaniels was the coach at the time, enough said.

I think no matter who it was we'd run him out. We've all seen the early stat lines of QB's we all salivate over, their never good. I agree that EJ had major issues, but in a lot of cases you just have to live with those and hope they keep learning. Maybe after a large enough sample size, you move on, but this IS much too early. There was no patience this time, somebody's head had to roll. We may win more games because of this move, but its inarguable that we now have no future at the qb position. Orton is only a stop gap and sustained success won't be with him. Sad, just sad.

I think no matter who it was we'd run him out. We've all seen the early stat lines of QB's we all salivate over, their never good. I agree that EJ had major issues, but in a lot of cases you just have to live with those and hope they keep learning. Maybe after a large enough sample size, you move on, but this IS much too early. There was no patience this time, somebody's head had to roll. We may win more games because of this move, but its inarguable that we now have no future at the qb position. Orton is only a stop gap and sustained success won't be with him. Sad, just sad.

I agree, he was 6-8 as a starter, and in those losses there were several that were winnable. The Atlanta game, the New England game, and even the Cleveland game. Injuries, a bad offensive line, questionable play calling, dropped passes, bad defenses. But to pin it on one guy as the scape goat just seems wrong to me. Yes he missed a few passes, yes he may be played a little scared in the pocket, but can you blame the kid? Perhaps sitting a few games, seeing his mistakes, and feeling all the negativity will light a fire under him. But most likely they just killed any confidence he had. This situation feels like the guy who has a hot wife, but has to have the hotter girlfriend.

With the exception of about 10 teams, EVERYONE'S favorite QB is the back-up - lose a few games and everyone is already for the next guy on the bench...

^Yep. This phenomenon isn't confined to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

Why are you lashing out at the fellow fans when it was the Coaches decision? Fans will be fans….coaches bench QB's.

I don't think anyone is excited about Kyle Orton. There is excitement because someone who might not be categorically terrible will be starting. That doesn't mean Orton won't be bad, it just means it's something different than what we had been trying, which clearly wasn't working.

Don't forget there was a large contingent of Bills fans that wanted Kelly benched in favor of Reich.

was this an outright starting over Kelly, or a Frank has played the last 2-3 games and has the hot hand, so lets keep rolling with it. I believe it was the latter, which IS NOT the same as pining for a backup because you think the starter sucks.

Also, what starting QB have Bills fans pined for the backup of whom has gone on to be good? Oh, that's right, NONE!. people want the backup because we haven't had a good starter in a loooooong time.

Edited by RyanC883