ESPN suspended Bill Simmons

C.Biscuit97

For 3 weeks! A week longer than Goodell originally suspended Rice for hitting a woman. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/sports/football/espn-suspends-bill-simmons-for-tirade-on-roger-goodell-.html?_r=0

This whole thing is such a joke. Goodell is a joke and so awful at his job. He gets $44 million/ year for a job a money could do. The fact that he is keeping his job makes me feel dirty watching the NFL. The dude is about as slimy as they come.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN is really going after the NFL on this. I really cannot believe how vicious the NFL is behaving in attacking the Commish and league for this. I get its bad but I cannot believe there isn't an ulterior motive here. Even on this story. They knew it'd garner attention that he got 3 weeks while Goodell only gave 2 weeks.

ESPN must be unhappy with the NFL - especially since the NFLN is killing them in coverage. ABC lost the NFL, too.

I'm betting it is a money issue and ESPN won't carry the NFL much longer. I mean, if ESPN does have such an issue with it to begin with, shouldn't they protest and not air the NFL?

For 3 weeks! A week longer than Goodell originally suspended Rice for hitting a woman. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/sports/football/espn-suspends-bill-simmons-for-tirade-on-roger-goodell-.html?_r=0

This whole thing is such a joke. Goodell is a joke and so awful at his job. He gets $44 million/ year for a job a money could do. The fact that he is keeping his job makes me feel dirty watching the NFL. The dude is about as slimy as they come.

You do realize that Roger Goodell isn't the one who suspended Simmons, right?

There seems to be a witch hunt when it comes to Goodell. ESPN, former players and rating driving hosts are out to make news.

The only ESPN analyst who seems neutral is Stephen Smith. He says Goodell got the penalty to Rice wrong and apologized for it. He didn't commit the crime. Goodell does make 44 million but he also helps make billions for the NFL. The owners do like their money. If sponsors pull out Roger might be in trouble but I don't see that happening. Football is too popular to abandon their advertising. This would make a good soap opera. Stay tuned.

You do realize that Roger Goodell isn't the one who suspended Simmons, right?

Sarcasm?

I'm pretty sure his premise is that ESPN is showing that they will suspend a person for 3 weeks for more trivial things like what Simmons is being suspended for and Goodell only suspended Rice for 2 games origionally. He's likely pointing out ESPN is trying to make a point and drive in the knife.

Break company policy (swearing in a podcast) while daring your boss to do something about it what happens.

It's not for busting on the nfl which as pointed already out many on the network are doing.

Yup. He begged for it... and he got it.

Break company policy (swearing in a podcast) while daring your boss to do something about it what happens.

It's not for busting on the nfl which as pointed already out many on the network are doing.

You don't think there's more to it? Why would he say that if ESPN hadn't told him to tone down the rhetoric?

Edited by HamSandwhich

There seems to be a witch hunt when it comes to Goodell. ESPN, former players and rating driving hosts are out to make news.

The only ESPN analyst who seems neutral is Stephen Smith. He says Goodell got the penalty to Rice wrong and apologized for it. He didn't commit the crime. Goodell does make 44 million but he also helps make billions for the NFL. The owners do like their money. If sponsors pull out Roger might be in trouble but I don't see that happening. Football is too popular to abandon their advertising. This would make a good soap opera. Stay tuned.

It's not the first thing he's gotten wrong.

- He was trying to add games when there was plenty of evidence out about concussions.

- He let the season start with replacement refs, who cost a team a game.

- He destroyed the tapes from Spygate. Why?

- EX players don't have a lot of nice things to say about him.

This isn't the first thing he missed up. Yet, when players and coaches miss up, they lost their jobs. He's not even getting suspended. He a joke and it's a joke what he makes.

espn is still the nfl's whore. the really expensive story for the nfl is the concussion story. and they backed down from airing it. this is a low risk attempt to show they aren't beholden. but they most certainly are.

Suspending employees who are critical of the commish proves that ESPN isn't "beholden"? Might want to take another gander at that statement, doctor.

I would have suspended Simmons too.

Especially when you flaunt your comments like he did. Good on ESPN for knocking him down a peg.

But in typical Simmons fashion, this was probably a premeditated outburst to further entrench his reputation as an average fan even as he collects bigger paychecks and goes more and more corporate year after year.

Especially when you flaunt your comments like he did. Good on ESPN for knocking him down a peg.

But in typical Simmons fashion, this was probably a premeditated outburst to further entrench his reputation as an average fan even as he collects bigger paychecks and goes more and more corporate year after year.

Grantland is one of the best things about ESPN. And isn't his job to give opinions? He also got suspended much longer than Stephen A. Smith who tried to blame Rice's wife for the situation.

Eff Goodell.