I miss Fitz

He was such a classy team first guy he refused to restructure his contract

Probably better at economics than man attempting to restructure his contract. I wonder what work outside he does outside of NFL during offseason?

He did not get chance to compete for starting job which is why he declined to restructure. He always wants to compete.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably better at economics than man attempting to restructure his contract. I wonder what work outside he does outside of NFL during offseason?

He did not get chance to compete for starting job which is why he declined to restructure. He always wants to compete.

I think that was a huge factor. The Bills were clearly going in another direction. Pride likely had something to do with it. I don't blame either side for moving on.

FitzMagic.

His better than expected performances magically left him after he got the big $$$

That was because teams learned how to defend him. (Starting with the Bengals game.) Much like how Bill Belichick revealed the correct way to defend against Bledsoe in game 9 of the 2002 season. Or how teams learned that if you're going against Losman, you put eight men in the box and double cover Lee Evans.

The reason Fitzpatrick looked so good in the first place was because Gailey had installed a new kind of offense--something which emphasized Fitz's strengths while downplaying his weaknesses. The Bills chose to give Fitz a contract extension after this new offense had been unveiled, but before defenses had had a real chance to figure out how to exploit its weaknesses. That's the front office's fault, not Fitz's.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Its funny that People say we shouldn't have EJ do too much but we complain that Fitz couldn't do that much. Play to his strengths is what everyone wants from EJ but ask Fitz to do what we know he can't. If you had Fitz doing what they have EJ doing with this Defense and talent the Bills win.

Everyone seems to forget just how bad the defense was that it required Fitz to have to put up 30 or more points a game. IDK if EJ is the guy or not but to pretend as though Fitz couldn't be successful in the right situation is wrong. Chan's offense and Swartz's/Pettine's Defense would be quite the force.

His former buffalo plumber must miss him to. Imagine the house calls to unclog the beard hair from the shower drain.

Really? I never heard that part. I thought the narrative was they were trying to trade him and also trying to restructure him, then that big pr gaffe occurred, then he was waived. But in the prank call it was insinuated they gave him an ultimatum to restructure or he was out...

Yeah, I know what you're gonna say.

But my man crush just got rekindled when listening to the conference call Fitz had with the Buffalo media. http://www.buffalobi...cb-51c792d5e8ea

If you put aside his physical shortcomings as a QB, he is the best QB any team could ever ask for. And the fact that he quite candidly aknowledges those shortcomings makes him even better.

I would absolutely love to have Fitz being our backup QB and, especially, the man mentoring EJ.

He had nice things to say about Buffalo. But that in no way makes up for the fact he had no business starting at QB for this team. You can find a lot of good guys out tbere, which doesnt obligate us to let them start and lose a bunch of games for us, and wildly over pay them. This isn't a charity.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Whether he should have played for us as long as he did not withstanding he is a classy guy and you got to love an ex Bill who has no problem saying his kid is still a huge Bills fan despite family encouragement to root for the team currently writing a paycheck to daddy.

i love fitzy because he seems like the closest thing to "one of us" playing football. even though he, get this, has a harvard education, he seems to be very down to earth and likable. he also seems to be a guy that you can relate to, he seems genuine, and he seems to have a great sense of morality with strong family values. absolutely in my top 5 people in the world i would like to sit down and have a beer with.

Fitz was a baller on the field in Buffalo.

gave it all he had.

He has my respect and gratitude.

Who know what would have occured if London Fletcher did mess his ribs up .Iit was fun for awhile Ryan !

Best wishes : )

he played the position the way i want my quarterback to play. so maybe he isn't anywhere near as athletically gifted as most nfl quarterbacks, he gave all he had out there and that's why i will always love me some fitz!

having said all that, sunday i will be rooting squarely against him.

i love fitzy because he seems like the closest thing to "one of us" playing football. even though he, get this, has a harvard education, he seems to be very down to earth and likable. he also seems to be a guy that you can relate to, he seems genuine, and he seems to have a great sense of morality with strong family values. absolutely in my top 5 people in the world i would like to sit down and have a beer with.

he played the position the way i want my quarterback to play. so maybe he isn't anywhere near as athletically gifted as most nfl quarterbacks, he gave all he had out there and that's why i will always love me some fitz!

having said all that, sunday i will be rooting squarely against him.

Agreed on every point.

And i have no problem Bills shutting him down or worse ( int and sack record )

just dont hurt the guy too bad !

Really? I never heard that part. I thought the narrative was they were trying to trade him and also trying to restructure him, then that big pr gaffe occurred, then he was waived. But in the prank call it was insinuated they gave him an ultimatum to restructure or he was out...

Heard him on radio after he was released that he was willing to restructure as long as he was willing to have chance to compete for starting job.

He did not talk about proposed restructuring details specifically pay cut but he said he did not have option to compete so he turned it down. He said prank call was not major factor.

I am assuming he was proposing incentive contract where he could get back some of money via performance incentives including starts and playing time but that part is my guess since he did not provide details;

Hindsight is 20/20 but obviously would've rather had Fitz instead of Kolb last year. Not having anyone to push EJ until Orton was a mistake. I have the discussion at every home game, but it seems the Bills have been afraid of any QB competition since Edwards/Losman.

This part is interesting to think on. In hindsight anyways.

Now its clear that Buffalo wanted a Vet to play a year or two in front of EJ . And We already had Fitz.

So the argument could be it was about the money or could it ?

He got paid didnt he ?

Maybe it was the fan base screaming to draft the Franchise QB ?

I think letting Ryan go and picking up Kolb looks like a mistake bt the FO , even before the Mat /concussion incident lol .

I dont want to dredge it up but it was another odd bit of work from the Bills and put us seemingly in a bad spot last year .

maybe it was the whole clean house mentality ?

Agreed, brother. Baller is exactly the right word for him. He's a guy I will always root for.

Yep :thumbsup: Edited by 3rdand12

I have the discussion at every home game, but it seems the Bills have been afraid of any QB competition since Edwards/Losman.

Maybe. There was the big 4 way competition in training camp in 2010 between Trent, Fitz, Brohm, and Levi Brown (won by Trent).

Once Kyle gets in, it'll be back on.