Anybody wish Pettine was still here.

rfk

NOPE.

I expected more from the D last week, but I realize why the Schwartz didn't blitz Rivers that much... The secondary of course, could be better, (Gilmore really sucked) but the guy I REALLY miss out there is KIKO... Not in a gay way or anything, but... nyeah you get me.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if I can't have petinne then lets get his daddy when the Jets let him go...I want defensive mayhem and complex schemes not Weinstadt/Shwartz stay with the plan even when it is failing.

schwartz made adjustments in the 2nd half and the defense played well.

Wanny has nothing to do with this current team.

It was one game against this year probably one of the best offenses in football. San Diego between last year and this year has beat the Seahawks, Broncos, Bengals, Colts, Eagles, and Chiefs (when they were 11-5).

Pettine had us gashed against the run. Yes, we did not play the pass well last week. We've dramatically improved against the run. I don't know why Mckelvin wasn't placed as the third CB and had Graham starting outside opposite Gilmore. I suspect the injuries to McKelvin and Gilmore are still nagging those two.

I was frustrated with not blitzing Rivers, but he probably would have picked it up and checked down. In the second half we did improve. The problem wasn't Schwartz, it was a pathetic offense. We were so bad last week, it was hard to watch. I'm optimistic we bounce back this week against the Texans. They've beaten bad teams, and lost to the Giants who everyone thought was in for a rough season. They are beatable, Clowney is out, we don't know on Foster, and Fitzy was good for three picks last week.

Seems to me that Rivers went up and down the field..I just see Shwartz as a Weinstadt Clone...True if the Bills had a competent QB then the D would look better. It all works together

if you want to see a Wanny clone as far as results (unless that part doesn't matter to you and you just want the scheme) look no further than Pettine's current D

Yds/Game: 31st

Yds/Play: 32nd

3rd down %: 18th

1st downs: 30th

Pts/game: 24th

30, 24, 21

20, 19, 22

I'll take the D that has allowed fewer points

I wonder how much that tightens up when you adjust for umber of possessions or things like special teams (don't remember how they looked first 3 weeks) for instance. I'd bet Pettine would still be behind but on a per drive basis it wouldn't be very wide

It does all work together. Like the stat that said Pettine's D gave up one of the fewest yards per drive in the NFL last year.... you shouldn't forget our ST were horrible and plenty of drives against us were starting in excellent field position and therefore didn't need to go very far to score.

A 60 to 80 yard march and ZERO points ......

the D stats are bad and good. your D gave up chunks of yards, but kept the most important stat from happening points

But if pettine was facing, and I dislike random numbers but maybe 3 extra drives a game, between our offensive strategy and playing someone like the pats - was he worse at giving up points?

I'd guess yes, but minimally- anyone care to check that out?

alone

yardage doesn't win the game

TOP doesn't win the game

4+ sacks per game doesn't win the game (either side)

4+ INT's per game doesn't win the game (either side)

burying kicks in the endzone doesn't win the game

alone

the most points on the scoreboard wins the game

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Seems to me that Rivers went up and down the field..I just see Shwartz as a Weinstadt Clone...True if the Bills had a competent QB then the D would look better. It all works together

Won't touch the qb thing as it tends to get me in trouble and mischaracterized.

But Wanny didn't do anything well. Sucked v run, sucked v pass, sucked at pressure. Pedestrian blitz packages without any coverage risk management.

Schwarz's achieves some things that Pettine didn't v the run, but pass rush stuff is way less fancy and unpredictable.

I'd be interested to see how the brown look v SD but won't get that anytime soon apparently.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

This is a stupid topic but with a life of it's own..How do i kill it..?

There are too many variables and too small a sample to talk rationally re Petinne vs Schwartz

BUT

I do like controlled Aggression by the D....That means Blitzing and taking chances when you are obviously getting you a** kicked anyhoo

Instead of getting gashed in the run game we are getting gashed in the passing game. Oh well. It seems like his defense leaves a lot of underneath stuff to bend but not break (but our secondary is still giving up huge plays every game).

every game? try only last week.

before philip rivers, the bills had not given up more than 10 yards on a run play or more than 20 yards on a pass play.

What are you smoking? I can look back at the first drive of the first game against Chicago and tell you that you are blowing smoke out of you know what.

My mistake, they gave up one of each:

"He'll need to play the same way this week against a Jim Schwartz-led Bills defense that has done a good job of limiting the big play the first two weeks. They have only allowed one run over ten yards and one pass over twenty yards so far."

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/95296936/nfl-week-3-panthers-steelers-lions-packers-chargers-bills

His defense with the exotic blitz packages would probably have served us better against a team last week that wasn't going to have much success running on us anyway. But for the most part I think week in and week out its better going into a game feeling confident we won't be run on.

Its too soon to really read too much into stats of course , but last year thru 3 games we had given up 93 points, this year only 52.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack