Sammy admitted to taking a play off in the 4th qtr

YoloinOhio

If he's talking about that pass near the end of the game where if he catches it he was going to get crushed, I'm fine with him alligator arming it. Game was over at that point and he doesn't need to take those shots to haul in a stat-padding pass.

I remember that play and it looked like he just knocked it down with one hand. Smart play by him. He would have been killed on the play as deep defenders were rapidly closing in on him and he would have been hit harder than Goodwin's play. Would have had broken ribs for sure or worse.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy will be fine. He admitted it was a mistake. And he admitted that it was his fault. That tells me that he is committed to winning and regrets not giving a better effort. It wasn't like the plays you used to see out of whimps like Randy Moss who would take plays off all the time.

agreed

perhaps, but I do know that KB had some character issues that made him drop. Maybe they never come to light and he has a great career. It was well known throughout the FOs.

character issues seem the rule and not the exception. it must have been something really disturbing as these were the days before ray rice and adrian peterson blew up in the leagues face.

character issues seem the rule and not the exception. it must have been something really disturbing as these were the days before ray rice and adrian peterson blew up in the leagues face.

i don't know what it was. But the problem with him having the issues is that it was combined with a slow 40 time for a WR and only one year of good college production, yet age 23 at the time of the draft. He was too raw at route running and focus to give the benefit of the doubt. Despite all of that he still went fairly high due to things you can't teach. Size and the ability to draw extra coverage. He was expected to be a project, thus far he has exceeded that. Edited by YoloinOhio

Watkins looked lost and confused yesterday from what I saw. He looked disoriented.

I'm not giving him a pass, he's a rookie and he's accomplished absolutely nothing in this league. He should be out there busting his ass on every play. He's not Randy Moss, he's not Megatron, he's not anybody special... YET. He's earned no right to take plays off. I didn't see Fred taking plays off at the end of the game. That attitude is infectious, if he wants to be a leader he needs to start acting like one. I hope Fred and Wood pull this kid aside and give him a verbal ass whooping.

BTW it's his JOB to catch passes and he gets payed nicely to do his job, and when he doesn't do his job he has 53 guys to let down. I could care less if the pass was inaccurate. YOU PLAY BALL, people are counting on you. People that bust their ass.

I remember that play and it looked like he just knocked it down with one hand. Smart play by him. He would have been killed on the play as deep defenders were rapidly closing in on him and he would have been hit harder than Goodwin's play. Would have had broken ribs for sure or worse.

That was exactly my reaction. If I'm recalling the correct play, Sammy seemed to spike the ball down with the defender closing quickly. I believe my exact words were, "if he doesn't do that, it's six going the other way." I actually thought it was a savvy play, that kept the small flicker of hope we had alive.

I am way more concerned that we can't consistently put the ball in spots where our WRs can catch it in stride, or at least where they won't get their heads taken off if they do manage to reel it in. Yesterday, I found myself telling myself that EJ just needs more practice throwing into the RWS wind. I am a delusional optimist after all...

Watkins looked lost and confused yesterday from what I saw. He looked disoriented.

I'm not giving him a pass, he's a rookie and he's accomplished absolutely nothing in this league. He should be out there busting his ass on every play. He's not Randy Moss, he's not Megatron, he's not anybody special... YET. He's earned no right to take plays off. I didn't see Fred taking plays off at the end of the game. That attitude is infectious, if he wants to be a leader he needs to start acting like one. I hope Fred and Wood pull this kid aside and give him a verbal ass whooping.

BTW it's his JOB to catch passes and he gets payed nicely to do his job, and when he doesn't do his job he has 53 guys to let down. I could care less if the pass was inaccurate. YOU PLAY BALL, people are counting on you. People that bust their ass.

im pretty sure he just owned up to it and said he was disappointed in himself for having it happen. your post would be much more applicable to a guy that blew off questions about it.

Wise beyond his years and, IMO, sends a message about the Receivers faith in Manual's accuracy..

i could not disagree more. He is playing his third game for a team that drafted him to make catches thrown to him. He didn't catch the ball because he wasn't where he was supposed to be on purpose. He owned up to it, but his job is to catch the ball. It doesn't send a message about anything other than he needs to run his whole route.

It was amazing how he threw himself the ball for 100+ yards though last week.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Wise beyond his years and, IMO, sends a message about the Receivers faith in Manual's accuracy..

I'm attempting to stay positive and hope EJ's accuracy improves, but I agree, the receivers looked tentative after Goodwin was blown up. Coupled with the rib injury I was also glad he didn't attempt to catch it.

When even screen passes that total 5 yards in distance are 4 feet high consistently you start to hope it's a nervousness or confidence thing. If not, the Bills are in trouble.

Edited by SmokinES3

Why not take a play off (in disgust) when your quarterback cannot get you the ball, even when you're wide open.

Absolutely the worst attitude a player can have, ESPECIALLY A ROOKIE who's done nothing. I'm glad he owned up to it but action is where it's at. He can own up all he wants, let's see if his attitude changes. The only way we'll now is if he starts leaving it all out on the field.

I do not think Sammy is healthy and it is making him uncharacteristically tentative. It also showed last week. It could be an issue for a good portion of the year. With this type of condition, it can't get worse by playing. But it won't fully "heal" for awhile. They will need to coach to this from a number of angles.