Mea Culpa on Chandler

YoloinOhio

I don't get the Chandler hate. He is an above average te in the passing the game. He had a down year last year (drops mostly) but still lead the team in receptions and yards I believe.

Not sure there is much Chandler hate. But for a guy who isn't particular a stellar athlete, or blocker, he's really only valuable if he catches pretty much everything he gets his hands on. Early in his career here, he was valuable in the red zone. When he starts dropping easy passes, his value plunges, IMO. He may have led the team in receptions, but he also dropped passes he has to catch, IMO. This season didn't start too well when he dropped a very catchable pass from EJ in Chicago. But give credit where it is due, he really stepped up on that catch today. I will certainly root for him whenever he is on the field.

With that said, the team could use an upgrade at TE.. Better starter? Perhaps, But at least another decent quality reliable TE. I'm not looing for Gronk or Graham or even Vernon Davis. Bennett would have been a good pickup for us. Who knows, maybe Whaley tried. Could Gragg become that? Too early to tell.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is what he was before the season started. An above average NFL Tight End.

True dat!

Gragg hasn't been a game changer yet... but I like what he's been doing on the field so far. I'm kind of wonder if he'll develop into something...

I don't see that happening. He is big and clunky. He will never be a clutch "receiver" type of tight end in my opinion. He is not as good as Chandler even with Chandler's drops.

Chandler is a classic bills player. Flashes of brilliance, mixed with critical errors at the worst time.

Not to mention that he looks like he's running in quick sand and falls down the minute he is touched, but other than that, he's great, lol. But it was a nice catch and he had a great day.

True dat!

I don't see that happening. He is big and clunky. He will never be a clutch "receiver" type of tight end in my opinion. He is not as good as Chandler even with Chandler's drops.

To be fair to Gragg, his Combine numbers don't really support the conclusion of "clunky", IMO...here's the link, but he ran a 4.46 40, pretty fast for a big WR, and actually all of his Combine numbers were pretty good....

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82780&draftyear=2013&genpos=TE

as an FYI, Jimmy Graham's Combine 40 time was 4.53, here's the link to his numbers...yes, he's two inches taller, just reflecting time:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=103531&draftyear=2010&genpos=TE

IMHO, I think Gragg will emerge as a pretty good TE in the NFL, remember even Graham took a couple years along with Julius Thomas and many others...rarely does a TE come in and have a phenomenal year in the first year or even two...some of the best current TEs took 2 full seasons before their break-out 3rd year, it's one reason why I'm so against using a 1st Round pick on a TE...history tells us that great TEs are usually Drafted in the 3rd and 4th round, much like Graham and Thomas....I beat this subject to death leading up to the Draft so I won't do it again, but a Google search tells us all we need to know about history and TE production against the Draft....

True dat!

Clunky? Dude moves pretty fast for a big guy. His problem is he's simply not polished enough yet, imo.

I don't get the Chandler hate. He is an above average TE in the passing game. He had a down year last year (drops mostly) but still lead the team in receptions and yards I believe.

He is above average by Bills standards. I had him as the 24th best TE going into the year. That's just not good enough. He isn't the worst player ever and you can't be good everywhere but by today's standards Chandler is not good.

With that being said it was a great catch.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He is above average by Bills standards. I had him as the 24th best TE going into the year. That's just not good enough. He isn't the worst player ever and you can't be good everywhere but by today's standards Chandler is not good.

With that being said it was a great catch.

All of the stats said that Chandler was around 12th-13th in just about every category in 2013.

I'm waiting for someone to say we should have drafted Ebron instead of Watkins.. and when I do read it, I will remember how so many people on this board thought Eric Ebron would be the best choice for this team. What a joke. I will admit that I wanted to trade back and take Benjamin or take mike Evans at 9. Chandler is good for what we need him for and that is catches in the red zone. Hackett should try him down there sometime.

I bashed him all week that he can't catch. What. A. Catch.

He still frustrates the hell out of me. He always seems to do the opposite of what I expect. Catches passes he should drop, misses blocks when he shouldn't. Solid last game last week.

Edited by DirtDart

How many Gronk's and Graham's are there?

I was defending him, but even I didn't think he could do that. It was like he saw what we were saying about the Zach Miller Seattle catch and went out there to replicate it.

Lol ok you called me out. It was a great catch. Now in all seriousness I just need him to have consistency. I don't need a world beater. Just give me a te who can be relied upon to use his size and hands ay the same time consistently.

All of the stats said that Chandler was around 12th-13th in just about every category in 2013.

Yes, because of opportunity. If given the chance to trade Chandler straight up for Zach Ertz or Dennis Pitta or Martellus Bennett or Kyle Rudolph or Charles Clay or Jordan Reed, 100% of GMs would make that move. His numbers WAY overstate his value. Chandler is not in the top 1/2 of the league no matter how you slice it.