OT-Damage photos of USS San Francisco

Brandon

how the hell did it happen ??????

221115[/snapback]

Running at flank speed at somewhere around 500 feet deep, ran into an uncharted obstacle, I believe. Subs at high speed are effectively blind and deaf (flow noise from the water rushing past deafens the sonar), and it's a big !@#$ing ocean that's nowhere near fully mapped yet. (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002158331_submarine23.html)

And the damage itself...machine spaces, torpedo room, forward sonar (covered by an easily crushed fiberglass cover, I believe). The localized damage probably looks worse than it actually is (we've got submariners on the board who, if they can, will confirm what I said or explain in no uncertain terms that I'm an idiot). I'd be more concerned with the damage we can't see...10k ton boat hits a big-ass rock, and things break from the shock. It's possible they could have bent the keel, thrown bearings out of true, knocked machinery off its mounts (e.g. the reactor machinery - which apparently didn't happen, else they probably wouldn't have gotten the boat back to Guam). I doubt it, but it is possible that the boat's a total write-off.

The commander was relieved of duty. He was not initially because as was mentioned here, this was an uncharted underwater mountain. He has been transfered to another duty station.

The reactor is fine. Wouldnt worry about that. Most likely scenario is that this ship gets scrapped. Its not a new ship anymore, and its probably not cost effective to repair it.

Kudos to the crew for taking the necessary actions they are trained to take in times like this. Its one thing to drill these scenarios 100 times, but its another to perform under the heat of the moment.

Running at flank speed at somewhere around 500 feet deep, ran into an uncharted obstacle, I believe.  Subs at high speed are effectively blind and deaf (flow noise from the water rushing past deafens the sonar), and it's a big !@#$ing ocean that's nowhere near fully mapped yet.  (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002158331_submarine23.html)

And the damage itself...machine spaces, torpedo room, forward sonar (covered by an easily crushed fiberglass cover, I believe).  The localized damage probably looks worse than it actually is (we've got submariners on the board who, if they can, will confirm what I said or explain in no uncertain terms that I'm an idiot).  I'd be more concerned with the damage we can't see...10k ton boat hits a big-ass rock, and things break from the shock.  It's possible they could have bent the keel, thrown bearings out of true, knocked machinery off its mounts (e.g. the reactor machinery - which apparently didn't happen, else they probably wouldn't have gotten the boat back to Guam).  I doubt it, but it is possible that the boat's a total write-off.

221124[/snapback]

She'll be DECOMED. The almost did it to the Gonzalez when she was brand spanking new.

Running at flank speed at somewhere around 500 feet deep, ran into an uncharted obstacle, I believe.  Subs at high speed are effectively blind and deaf (flow noise from the water rushing past deafens the sonar), and it's a big !@#$ing ocean that's nowhere near fully mapped yet.  (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002158331_submarine23.html)

And the damage itself...machine spaces, torpedo room, forward sonar (covered by an easily crushed fiberglass cover, I believe).  The localized damage probably looks worse than it actually is (we've got submariners on the board who, if they can, will confirm what I said or explain in no uncertain terms that I'm an idiot).  I'd be more concerned with the damage we can't see...10k ton boat hits a big-ass rock, and things break from the shock.  It's possible they could have bent the keel, thrown bearings out of true, knocked machinery off its mounts (e.g. the reactor machinery - which apparently didn't happen, else they probably wouldn't have gotten the boat back to Guam).  I doubt it, but it is possible that the boat's a total write-off.

221124[/snapback]

There does indeed appear to be some unseen damage. Follow the safety walkway...about 15 feet back, it appears that the hull is buckled.

The reactor is fine.  Wouldnt worry about that.  Most likely scenario is that this ship gets scrapped.  Its not a new ship anymore, and its probably not cost effective to repair it.

221136[/snapback]

Figured it was...just threw it out as an example of machinery that can get knocked about.

BTW...for those who don't know, one sailor died and 60 were injured in the collision. The sub hit hard.

There does indeed appear to be some unseen damage.  Follow the safety walkway...about 15 feet back,  it appears that the hull is buckled.

221141[/snapback]

Illusion, I think. If you look at the high-res picture, the tiles on the surface aren't distorted. That white line halfway back to the sail is actually a cable of some sort, hanging at a slightly skewed angle from the line of the tiles, which gives the illusion of some buckling. But if it were really buckled, the tiles wouldn't be laying as flat as they are.

Illusion, I think.  If you look at the high-res picture, the tiles on the surface aren't distorted.  That white line halfway back to the sail is actually a cable of some sort, hanging at a slightly skewed angle from the line of the tiles, which gives the illusion of some buckling.  But if it were really buckled, the tiles wouldn't be laying as flat as they are.

221150[/snapback]

Upon further review, I am inclined to agree with you.

Four minutes before the grounding the sub was in over 6,000 feet of water!

Submarine depths are classified, besides at 6,000 feet it would be more than a mile underwater, prodigous even for submersibles much less submarines.

Four minutes before the grounding the sub was in over 6,000 feet of water! 

Submarine depths are classified, besides at 6,000 feet it would be more than a mile underwater, prodigous even for submersibles much less submarines.

221440[/snapback]

The submarine was in water that they measured at 6000 feet deep, not necessarily 6000 feet under water.