Peguala - recipe for success?

SouthernMan

Not trying to be a wiseguy and I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, so humor me.

When Pegula bought the Sabres, weren't all the Buffalo faithful praising the move, saying he would soon bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo. Fast forward. Weren't the Sabres one of the worst teams in the NHL last year? Have they been successful at all since Pegula took ownership? (I actually don't know since I don't follow hockey very much)

Considering his short record as a professional sports team owner, what gives Bills fans hope to believe he will make the Bills a winner?

I just wonder if we'll be hearing about that "cheapskate Pegula" in a couple of years and wishing Trump or someone else would have bought the team.

He may turn out to be a top notch owner - I have no idea. Just wondering - what makes so many Bills fans excited about Peguala as owner, other than his pledge to keep the team in Buffalo?

Not trying to be a wiseguy and I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, so humor me.

When Pegula bought the Sabres, weren't all the Buffalo faithful praising the move, saying he would soon bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo. Fast forward. Weren't the Sabres one of the worst teams in the NHL last year? Have they been successful at all since Pegula took ownership? (I actually don't know since I don't follow hockey very much)

Considering his short record as a professional sports team owner, what gives Bills fans hope to believe he will make the Bills a winner?

I just wonder if we'll be hearing about that "cheapskate Pegula" in a couple of years and wishing Trump or someone else would have bought the team.

He may turn out to be a top notch owner - I have no idea. Just wondering - what makes so many Bills fans excited about Peguala as owner, other than his pledge to keep the team in Buffalo?

Terry first tried to buy his way into contention with free agents and that didn't work. So now they blew up the team and started over. They converted their few valuable players into draft picks. In fact the Sabres have 3 1st round picks in this draft, including two that are likely high lottery picks in what is considered an exceptionally deep draft. Most NHL pundits see the Sabres as having the deepest and richest depth of young talent in the minors and juniors.

So yeah they suck now, but Pegula is rebuilding the Sabres to be a motherf###ng power house for years to come.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Gee, sorry guys if the topic has been discussed. I don't live at The Stadium Wall like some of you do. Haven't seen this discussed. How recently was it posted? Help me out here. What should would the search criteria be? Hate to bore you with the same topics over an over. I KNOW - let's talk about the uniforms for this coming week!!!!!

Edited by SouthernMan

Fire everybody and get some real experienced football executives in here. Wonder what kind of relationship he has with Bill Cowher, being a Pennsylvania guy.

Still scratching my head on the Cowher love. Seems less and less likely that he will be part of an NFL team again given his long absence. Also , he was never really an innovator and relied heavily on his assistants (see Dick Lebeau).

I hope he spends the rest of the season evaluating Brandon & Whaley. If it seems their on the right track, leave them alone.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with the talent Whaley has brought to Buffalo. Unfortunately, the two biggest questions are "Do we have the right coach?" and "Do we have the right QB?"

But we've got to allow a new, young GM a whiff here and there - if either of these are actual whiffs.

Pegula has done nothing but dump money into the organization, if there are any doubts take a look at the harbor center. He is dedicated to winning, and the city of Buffalo. what more could we ask for? He has to surround the team with a FO office capable of building a winner. He stayed with Darcy for a year too long, but is slowly righting the ship. Bottom line is the team is staying in Buffalo........I would rather endure another 5 years of losing seasons. It is much better than watching them level the stadium, and the team moving out of Buffalo.

One step at a time.

Fans are simply happy to change from a situation of great uncertainty (what happens when Ralph dies) to far greater certainty (a well heeled owner who is committed to WNY sports( that how can folks not be happier.

Perhaps the biggest difference as well is that there is undeniably one common denominator of activity in our decade and a half of failure to make the playoffs. Mr. Ralph.

You gotta love him for the relationship this Detroiter has built with Buffalo. He easily could have collected a boatload of $ if he had moved the team to another town at opportunities in the 70s and 80s and he kept them here.

However, there were a number of personal mismanagement decisions which he had every right to do as an owner but also were bas football decisions which impacted this team.

1. Misjudged how long Jimbo would last

2. Made a sweetheart deal with RJ which led to DF QB disaster

3. Mishandled relationship with Butler

4. Mishandled relationship with Wade Phillips

5. Had to rush into hiring Donahoe because of Butler situation and then fire TD

6. Moshandled Mularkey situation.

We love Ralph for keeping the Bills here but fans cannot help being happy about a new owner