Perception of the Team. From an Ex Bills Fan

Dr. Trooth

I guess what people are telling you, Trooth, is that now that you don't root for the same billion-dollar brand of uniforms that they do, you're no longer their friend and might as well be dead to them.

He abandoned my favorite color of laundry! I don't have to put up with that ****...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I find it sad that someone could just change allegiances like that. To me they have no real or true passion for the game, and I just can't understand how they could ever feel anything of substance after a win for their "new team"... I have a special place in my heart for my Buffalo sports teams and that can NEVER be replaced by another team... To each their own.

I was born in Buffalo, I went to the University of Michigan. I am a Bills, Sabres, and Wolverine fan. I don't know why, but I couldn't care less about any other teams. I lived in Buffalo for 18 years, and outside of New York State for 55 years. I was so far in the backwaters during some of that time, that I didn't know that the Bills went to 4 superbowls until 3 years after they did it. But, if people asked me about how I thought "our team" was going, I told them their team wasn't my team, I'm from Buffalo and I have no idea how their team was going.. And they kind of got it. I'm from Buffalo, and Buffalo is home.....even though I haven't been there since 1970. I have no explanation for that feeling. My wife isn't from there, my kids weren't born there. My family no longer resides there.

Dr. Trooth, some of us are born in Buffalo, some of us have adopted Buffalo. Maybe that is all it takes to become a Bills' fan. But for the life of me, I just cannot understand what you are saying when you tell us you are now a Steeler fan. You're speaking a foreign language I do not know. It's all gibberish to me. You wrote a long piece about your reasons for leaving the Bills; then told us what you hear other people saying about the Bills, and maybe also what you think about the Bills. That's very odd to me, being that you are no longer a Bills fan. Why would you ever bother? I have never felt the need to go onto another teams website to tell them what people think about their team. That would seem a crazy thing to do.

I now live in the USA again, 30 minutes from the SF 49ers and the SJ Sharks and 15 minutes from the Stanford Cardinal......I have no idea who plays for those teams....I know who coaches the 49ers, because he played QB for Michigan. I haven't seen the superbowl for the last 14 years, and I have no idea who played in last years game....I don't care, it wasn't Buffalo. I don't know who won the national championship, I don't care, it wasn't Michigan.

I suspect you must be tired of your hiatus.

Edited by socalfan

I guess what people are telling you, Trooth, is that now that you don't root for the same billion-dollar brand of uniforms that they do, you're no longer their friend and might as well be dead to them.

I think you're Wide Left, Wide Right, and Under the crossbars, here, Tuesday.

Fans from other teams come here - I can remember a pretty good thread with a bunch of Raiders fans where they laid out how they saw the Bills and we responded and the back and forth, it was pretty respectful overall and the guy had the cojones to come here after we won and pay respect. There are semi-regulars like "IceBowl" who is always treated with respect and initiates good discussion, and of course, Cowgirls Fan. Plenty of folks come here who don't root for the same brand of uniform and get treated as friends or at least with respect.

No, it's not the brand of the uniform, it's the brand of self-centered holier-than-thou spew that draws the heat here, deservedly so IMHO. And by self-centered, I mean not focused on football analysis, it's all about him, how he couldn't stand it, what his opinions are, and now how we live in a free country.

People forget freedom of expression goes two ways - you can say whatcha like, and people got the right to say what they like in return.

Became Bills fan in 1987 when I moved from So Calif to WNY (I wasn't a football fan until then). Moved to Milwaukee in 1995, Pittsburgh in 1997, Dallas in 1998. Have been stuck in Texas since then.

I would cut off body parts before I would ever consider switching my loyalty to another team.

I understand the frustration that led you to that choice.

But... Do you ever feel, I dunno.... DIRTY when you put on Steelers gear? Just a little, even?

I wanna take a shower just THINKING about it, -yeeeesh!

NO-KAN-DU, my freind... I hope you find peace with your decision. (but you probably won't though)

I don't get the "you were never a fan to begin with" theory... (what if someone flips after 30 yrs.?)

After 14 years of bla bla, I don't blame him.

I actually have 2 really really good friends that flipped. Tampa to Green Bay. Dallas to Green Bay. At first I was like "Whaaaat?? How? " Like big time shocked. The tampa fan said, "I got tired of rooting for the loser" It did take me like a week to accept the "flip" from my buds. But then I realized. Who gives a *** who they like?

My only complaint about dr trooth. Don't write long ass posts!

I can see how he could switch his allegiance. I was born in Buffalo some 50 years ago. A Bills loss used to make me sick and unbearable to be around for the week.

Now I can live with the losses and go on with my life, there have just been too many. The good news is I am sure this helped my stress level and hopefully extended my life.

Given the fact that over the years I can now handle the losses when at one time I could not. Along with the fact that I moved from the area in 1979, I could see myself changing teams and calling myself an ex-Bills fans in another 5,000 +/- years.

If my stress level keeps going down as the years progress, I still have NO CHANCE of ever reaching that day.

Oh well, I tried to rationalize it. Once a Bills can, always a Bills fan.

GO BILLS!!!!

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

I'm late to the party as you put this crap on last night, but I'm disgusted by your post. I immediately put you on ignore and hope to never hear from you again. I only wish there was a way to not see your posts through others that respond to your posts.

I wish you the best just as you wish us all the best. Enjoy your Steelers! Be careful your ear doesn't get cut off.

Oh and how exactly do you "commit to winning" as an owner? This is one of the most ridiculous statements anybody makes. It's like it is what it is.

You guys have it all wrong by bashing him.

This is obviously a Bills fan struggling with his identity. He didn't give up on the Bills, can't be done. He thinks he has, is still trying to, but is obviously reaching out for help. He needs to get off the ledge.

He won't be coming back to the bandwagon because he hasn't left. Otherwise why this post along with so many others.

This is a cry for help from a low point in his life.

Keep up the negative posts, these are just what he needs to beat the Bills Fan in him back to the surface. No one gives up on this team, can't be done. Only claimed.

We can help him through this by continuing to question his having any loyalty whatsoever. He will see the light.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan