Bills Eric Wood goes off on Espn about Rams Michael Sams

17 Josh Allen

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great against whom? Many other former players. I don't like how ESPN has covered this, but, they don't (IMO) get the blame for his release. Matter of fact, there's really no blame here. Hope he's able to catch on somewhere.

If you look at his production, he produced 3 sacks in about one game or less worth of action (assuming he played the usual one quarter or so a game on average). That's not worth a PS look, even if it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers? C'mon, man, as a certain pundit would say. I agree with EW that the media attention certainly doesn't help him here and perhaps it's more than that in some quarters. It's a shame is what it is in any event, since it looks to me at least like Sam has the talent to make a go of a career in this League.

Sam shares some of the blame for the amount of attention the media and ESPN dedicate to him. He had, in May, signed up for a reality t.v. show. If he wanted to make a team at all costs and downplay his "celebrity," he wouldn't have considered such a venture.

I am surprised that he isn't on a practice squad from a football perspective and agree with the post suggesting a C.F.L. career as the next step for Sam. Without the distractions, he should be a practice squad player at the least.

Sam's a 23 year old kid--when Oprah and reality TV approached him he did what anyone would do in his shoes at that age--he talked to them. He quickly decided, however, not to go that route (probably after some more experienced hands suggested that direction to him) and in fact didn't even give interviews or speak separately to the media after his first, and to my knowledge only, press conference right before football activities started. As per Jeff Fisher and the Rams organization, the kid did everything right, including handling the media. I'm not sure how you can blame this on him, other than perhaps blaming him for coming out before hooking on with a team as I've seen others suggest. Unfortunately, they may have been right, as I strongly suspect that had he not come out, he'd be on a roster somewhere today. What a great lesson that sends to the next guys in the pipeline....

Sam and Tebow have both been screwed by ESPN. They could def be practice squad or backups for a number of teams. The coverage both received was somewhat each players fault, but then again, what player has actually turned down media coverage? Their needs to be an actual sports news channel that covers players actually making plays and ignores their personal lives. ESPN is too concerned with who is gay, Christian, has 3 kids by the age of 20, overcame some terrible tragedy, is actually a genius, etc.

Imagine this. The Browns sign Sam, and sign.........

Wait for it

Tim Tebow

I would LOVE IT. ESPN might blow up. They would need 100 reporters to follow Johnny Football, Tebow and Sam around.

Eric Wood is one of my favorite Bills ever. He's a smart guy and not afraid to tell the truth. There was actually a storyline banner running the other day that Sam wasn't picked up on waivers. Who cares? Why is this news? If you really want people not to be prejudiced stop making a big deal about everything minorities do or don't do! Doesn't equality mean treating him like everybody else ESPN? And who is convincing them everyone wants to hear that news all the time?

Eric Wood is one of my favorite Bills ever. He's a smart guy and not afraid to tell the truth. There was actually a storyline banner running the other day that Sam wasn't picked up on waivers. Who cares? Why is this news? If you really want people not to be prejudiced stop making a big deal about everything minorities do or don't do! Doesn't equality mean treating him like everybody else ESPN? And who is convincing them everyone wants to hear that news all the time?

I'm guessing that there ratings are telling them that. Tebow pretty much single handedly created the show first take. Deadspin did a long writeup awhile back on the ratings explosions that these soap opera stories get for espn compared to actual sports.

I'm guessing that there ratings are telling them that. Tebow pretty much single handedly created the show first take. Deadspin did a long writeup awhile back on the ratings explosions that these soap opera stories get for espn compared to actual sports.

We're watching ESPN go the way of MTV.

@BleacherReport: A GM says that teams want to sign Michael Sam, but "fear the media attention"

And Eric Wood is right.

Let that be a lesson to all you gay athletes! If you come out, ESPN will make sure you never play a down of professional football!