[OT] What's your best excuse for calling in sick?

stevewin

My favorites from this article:

I forgot to come back to work after lunch

I couldn't find my shoes

My monkey died

:doh:

Best excuses for calling in sick

I wonder if severe agitation/depression resulting from a Pats SB victory would count?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all this sick time accumulated and if I don't use it, I lose it. :doh:

220299[/snapback]

Same here. I've submitted our PTO form with "I'm going to be 'cough, cough' sick on .........."

Like you said, use it or lose it. Last year I lost about 3 days worth.

I went to work, worked my shift then got my arm casted 8 hours later.

220312[/snapback]

why?

do you get a trophy for perfect attendence?

Seriously, I mean, I can see being dedicated. But life is far too short. Everyone needs a 3-day weekend here and there. But even if you aren't in that mindset, if you break your arm, you should take the day off. ..

As a manager for about 15 years, I can tell you that I've never given an outstanding performance review (or raise/bonus) to an employee that used up all their sick days unless they were in a hospital.

IMO, the mentality that sick days = vacation days says a lot about an employee.

why?

do you get a trophy for perfect attendence?

Seriously, I mean, I can see being dedicated. But life is far too short. Everyone needs a 3-day weekend here and there. But even if you aren't in that mindset, if you break your arm, you should take the day off. ..

220314[/snapback]

I enjoy life plenty dont worry. I get plenty of paid time off. In two weeks I backpack Europe for 6 weeks paid! My employers treat me very well and I reciprocate. Also if I were to call in sick someone else would have to come in. They should be allowed to enjoy their lifes too

I enjoy life plenty dont worry.  I get plenty of paid time off.  In two weeks I backpack Europe for 6 weeks paid!  My employers treat me very well and I reciprocate.  Also if I were to call in sick someone else would have to come in.  They should be allowed to enjoy their lifes too

220321[/snapback]

That's true - for a job where if you're not there someone else has to cover, I didn't use days off (I worked retail for a few years in high school). But, man, a broken arm?

As a manager for about 15 years, I can tell you that I've never given an outstanding performance review (or raise/bonus) to an employee that used up all their sick days unless they were in a hospital.

220317[/snapback]

As an employee, I'd say that you're a crappy manager if you base raise/bonus on whether I use one of my *benefits* or not. Would you not give a bonus to someone who maxes out their 401(k) plan? Didn't think so.

You pay people to do a job; if they do their job, even with taking days off, who are you to judge them?

I'm a big proponent of "mental health days." Yeah, you might not be physically puking in the toilet, but sometimes you wake up and realize that you need to recharge your batteries that day. You'll also be more effective on the job the day that you go back.

# My cat unplugged my alarm clock.

My cat's have unplugged my TV and my answering machine before... Never the alarm clock though.

CW

That's true - for a job where if you're not there someone else has to cover, I didn't use days off (I worked retail for a few years in high school). But, man, a broken arm?

220326[/snapback]

That works out for me too. I manage over 100 people. Noone will dare call in sick to me with storys they hear. I bike 30 miles everyday to work too, no matter what the weather is. If someone tells me they cannot make it because car problems I say tough- get on your bike. They say "its raining" I say "so" :doh:

As an employee, I'd say that you're a crappy manager if you base raise/bonus on whether I use one of my *benefits* or not.  Would you not give a bonus to someone who maxes out their 401(k) plan?  Didn't think so.

You pay people to do a job; if they do their job, even with taking days off, who are you to judge them?

I'm a big proponent of "mental health days."  Yeah, you might not be physically puking in the toilet, but sometimes you wake up and realize that you need to recharge your batteries that day.  You'll also be more effective on the job the day that you go back.

CW

220333[/snapback]

Exactly.

If you don't want me taking my sick days, don't give em to me.

I love my current job. Our benefits are great (full health, dental, and eye). Bonuses are great, fringe benefits (like our chrismas party, etc).

The one thing that SUCKS here is out time off. We get one day a month, after the month is worked. That is ALL of our time off, sick/vacation/personal. So, if you work for a full year without taking a day off, you THEN have 12 days to use...

For someone like me, who has to make trips for holidays (well, i just go home for xmas) it sucks.

I have yet to call in sick, but I've only been here two years (actually, two years TODAY)...

I bike 30 miles everyday to work too, no matter what the weather is.

220339[/snapback]

Pete, I'm not saying this in a bad way (as I am a big guy), but you don't look like the type that bikes 60 miles a day... You're a big dude - aren't guys that bike like that the real thin veiny underweight guys like Lance Armsrtong... ???

That works out for me too.  I manage over 100 people.  Noone will dare call in sick to me with storys they hear.  I bike 30 miles everyday to work too, no matter what the weather is.  If someone tells me they cannot make it because car problems I say tough- get on your bike.  They say "its raining"  I say "so" :doh:

220339[/snapback]

You must be one strong cookie.

I had a couple professors at college that did that. One guy use to ride 25 miles each way. He was eccentric but really a fun guy to be around.

....I hope you have showering facilities there.

220317[/snapback]

Well, you won't have to worry about that too much longer - the way corporate America is chipping away at benefits sick days will become a thing of the past. You will have to use vacation or short term disability.

My manager has the same mindset - he has no idea how much his people hate him.